Transfer files to new NAS - Windows access

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
BrynClarke
Starting out

Transfer files to new NAS - Windows access

Post by BrynClarke »

I have an ancient QNAP TS109 running QTS 3.3.2 build 0918T, (which I believe is the most recent version supported on that hardware). I use it purely as a file server for my Windows 10 PC. As it is so long in the tooth and showing some signs of age, I bought a new TS128A with the intention of moving all my files across, remapping my Windows drive letters to point to the new server, editing the various backup jobs, and carrying on as before.

In order to do this I exported all the users from the old NAS and imported on the new, installed Hybrid Backup Sync on the TS128A, set up a remote replication job on the TS109 and, after some fiddling with rsync and NAS options and accounts, got it to transfer some folders and files. Unfortunately, when I look at the files in Windows, I cannot delete some, cannot access others and cannot even display the permissions of other folders, despite the fact that these files and folders (those whose permissions I can display) have security showing “Everyone” with read write access. I cannot see any obvious differences between the config of my other NAS (TS119PII) on which everything works fine, and the new TS128A.

Can anyone please advise how to do this without the permissions problem? I have trawled through a few forum threads but haven’t really found an answer. (I know I could get Windows File Explorer to copy the files across, but the Windows connection to the TS109 is prone to drop out for reasons unknown, and I fear the transfer could get into a mess.

Many thanks in advance
Bryn

Return to “File Sharing”