Direct connect two NAS - Static Routes

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Direct connect two NAS - Static Routes

Post by TeePee3NAS »

Hello,

Can I ask for some help please?

I have two NAS. One a TVS-872XT and the other a TS-251D. The 251D is soley a snapshot vault for the 872XT and I'd like to connect it directly to one of the ports on the TVS-872XT.

On the TVS-872XT I have one interface 169.254.7.160 (assigned from DHCP) and on the 251D 169.254.10.239 set as a static address. The IP on the other interface of the TVS is 192.168.1.189. DNS are 192.168.1.1 (which is also the default gateway and DHCP server) and 8.8.8.8

My question is how should I set up the static routes on each NAS?

Thanks very much.
P3R
Guru

Re: Direct connect two NAS - Static Routes

Post by P3R »

Static routes aren't the solution for you. You already have routes to the 169.254.0.0/16 network as you have interfaces directly connected to it in both NASes.

What you should do first is to clean up your networking. 169.254.0.0/16 shouldn't be set DHCP or static. You shouldn't be using it like that at all.

Decide on a private network separate from the 192.168.1.0/24 that you use for the link between the two NASes. Use for example 192.168.10.0/24 (or any other 192.168.X.0 network except 192.168.1.0). Then set the (different) IP address in that network statically in both NASes. Now you have a proper network configuration and the trick now is only to point at the correct IP address of the other NAS as being the remote snapshot destination. If you say the remote snapshots should be at 192.168.10.Y the traffic will automatically be sent out on the correct interface to reach it.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

Thanks for responding to my request for help P3R, I really appreciate you helping.

Ok, so let's now say my 872 is 192.168.1.189 on one interface and 192.168.10.4 on the other. And the 251D is 192.168.10.51

How do I manage the 251D i.e. how do I access the console via its IP address? Likewise, how does the 251D send alerts or check for firmware? In other words, don't I still need to establish routes using a static routing table?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

sadly the 251d only has one lan port..you could get a usb lan adapter (qnap has one) for the secondary subnet
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

Are you suggesting, dolbyman, that packets from the stub network can't be routed over the 872XT's interfaces?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

have you checked the virtual switch?

when in doubt ..it's a nas ..not a router
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

Checked the virtual switch for ...?

NAS. It’s more like a Swiss Army knife :D

On a more serious note, yes, I expect a static route setting in the routing table to ... well .... route. What do you think?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

TeePee3NAS wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:47 am Checked the virtual switch for ...?
Static routing or NAT in between (virtual) adapters.

With QNAP investing more work in their QNAP branded firewalls/switches, there might be GUI option coming up for me extensive Virtual Switching

I had a quick peek and couldn't find a way to create virtual network adapters (besides creating them from VS or Container Station)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

TeePee3NAS wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 am How do I manage the 251D i.e. how do I access the console via its IP address? Likewise, how does the 251D send alerts or check for firmware?
It wasn't the initial question so I focused on the more obvious problems with your configuration. I wasn't aware a TS-251D only had a single network interface. But more interfaces are possible so you have the option.

If you're reluctant to add the interface you need, why complicate your life by trying to turn your main NAS into a router? Why not simply connect them both to the main network? It will work perfectly.
On a more serious note, yes, I expect a static route setting in the routing table to ... well .... route. What do you think?
A static route is only that, a route. All IP hosts by default have routes, it doesn't make them routers.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

I was asked by QNAP support to direct connect the two NAS as I have a problem with Snapshot Replica failing and support wanted to isolate my router as a possible cause. I had not even considered directly connecting two NAS and hadn't thought how to do it, or how to recover if I set them up incorrectly. As I pondered this configuration, I wondered how the NAS services that require internet access would work. On a Linux box (Windows too) with two NICs IP forwarding can be enabled so I thought its perfectly reasonable to consider whether forwarding has been enabled on QNAP NAS. And, in the Linux scenario, static routes are used to route across the two interfaces. Also, the competition supports routing across two interfaces (https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... work_route). Hence my question.
why complicate your life by trying to turn your main NAS into a router?
Having a Snapshot NAS on a segregated network would provide further protection against ransomware.

I should have explained all of this when I first posted my question - I'm sorry for not having done that. And, really, my first question should have been to ask whether IP forwarding has been enabled by default in the QTS kernel? And, if not, can it be?
Last edited by TeePee3NAS on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

TeePee3NAS wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:21 pm I was asked by QNAP support to direct connect the two NAS as I have a problem with Snapshot Replica failing and support wanted to isolate my router as a possible cause.
I would begin with connecting it to the second interface of the main NAS. You can then test what Qnap support have advised you to do for a while without any routing. You could access the admin interface of the second NAS by installing Browser Station on the main NAS. If you absolutely need to do upgrade QTS or something you could temporarily move it back to the router and fix whatever it is you need to do.

Only when you have decided that you definitely need to have it on a separate network segment would it be necessary to find a solution for internet access for it. You can then research your routing solution, get a second interface or try out the bridging or NATing in Network & Virtual switch.
Having a Snapshot NAS on a segregated network would provide further protection against ransomware.
Not if you route to it. :wink:
And, really, my first question should have been to ask whether IP forwarding has been enabled by default in the QTS kernel? And, if not, can it be?
I don't know.

TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

P3R wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:54 am You could access the admin interface of the second NAS by installing Browser Station on the main NAS
I discovered this solution a few days ago, it works well.
P3R wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:54 am You can then research your routing solution, get a second interface or try out the bridging or NATing in Network & Virtual switch.
These are good suggestions, thank you!. I also discovered a video showing pfsense in a VM on QNAP which is another possible, although more complex way to go.
P3R wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:54 am Not if you route to it.
Good point.

Thanks for taking the time to provide these suggestions, much appreciated.
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

Post by TeePee3NAS »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:55 am
TeePee3NAS wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:47 am Checked the virtual switch for ...?
Static routing or NAT in between (virtual) adapters.

With QNAP investing more work in their QNAP branded firewalls/switches, there might be GUI option coming up for me extensive Virtual Switching

I had a quick peek and couldn't find a way to create virtual network adapters (besides creating them from VS or Container Station)
Thanks for this dolbyman, much appreciated
TeePee3NAS
Starting out

[SOLVED] Direct connect two NAS - Static Routes

Post by TeePee3NAS »

I wanted to drop a note into this thread to say routing across two (or more) network interfaces on a QNAP NAS with QTS (only) is supported and does work. With the help of QNAP support, I was able to configure a second port on my TVS-872XT with a different network address and route across the primary interface to the internet. Further, by adding a static route at my pc I was able to route across the primary LAN interface and manage the NAS on the subnet.

The starting assumption is that the primary NAS has at least two NICs and one is connected to the internet somehow:
On the primary NAS open Network & Virtual Switch and create a Virtual Switch > Advanced Mode > NAS LAN port 2 > Static IP > Select "Enable NAT" & "Enable DHCP server". Ensure the NAS that will be connected to the 2nd interface get's it's IP address from DHCP. Connect the cables and wait. The switch you create can be found under > DHCP Server where you can check the IP address the 'client' NAS has been assigned. An easy way to check that the 'client' NAS can see the internet is to check for new firmware.

You can admin the 'client' NAS via Browser Station or, as I mentioned above, from a workstation with a static route to the network on the 2nd NIC.
martinav
Know my way around

Post by martinav »

I halfway understand this. I think I want to do something similar with an additional dual port 10gbe NIC. I am getting a compatable card to plug into my TVS-1272XU, and I am wanting to plug two servers into this card, as if it were a switch. I want them to be on the same sub-net (if possible). This way, I do not need to purchase an expensive 10gbe switch to connect all of these items together. Is this possible with a virtual switch in QTS?
TVS-h1688x 2xm.2 1TB, 12x16TB EXOS, TVS-872n 2xM.2 1TB, 8x16TB EXOS (Currently dead... pending QNAP Support)

Return to “File Sharing”