Encrypted Shared Folder disappeared after Firmware Upgrade

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
fgsav
New here

Encrypted Shared Folder disappeared after Firmware Upgrade

Post by fgsav »

Hi,
I have a TR004 connected to a TS251.
I received a notification for upgrading TR004 to latest Firmware, then followed instructions: apply firmware, disconnect securely, and reboot.
The NAS detected TR004 and restored volume. All shares working except the encrypted shared folder...

I can see it's still there:
/.@__lock__MYENCRYPTEDFOLDER
/.__eN__MYENCRYPTEDFOLDER
/.__eN___qnap_digest/encrypted_share

How to restore the shared folder ? I guess if I recreate it I'll just access the encrypted files, and I fear if I put encryption password it will only reencrypt encrypted files :ashamed:
Thanks in advance for your help !!!
:wink:
P3R
Guru

Re: Encrypted Shared Folder disappeared after Firmware Upgrade

Post by P3R »

I wouldn't mess with it. Please contact Qnap support.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
fgsav
New here

Post by fgsav »

QNAP support didn't achieve anything and ended asking me recreating the shared folder.
Finally, the good answer is effectively to recreate an encrypted shared folder with the same name and password without specifying the path.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

fgsav wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:18 am QNAP support didn't achieve anything and ended asking me recreating the shared folder.
Finally, the good answer is effectively to recreate an encrypted shared folder with the same name and password without specifying the path.
Sp QNAP support achieved exactly what you needed .. to recreate your shared folder .. unclear how they didn't achieve anything
fgsav
New here

Post by fgsav »

In fact the problem already happened once, and I had done what they told me this time:
recreate the share, specifying the path and enryption.
Doing this creates an encrypted share of encrypted files. I had to decrypt the files twice under a live Linux to recover it...
So the important thing here for anyone with the same problem is: DON'T SPECIFY THE PATH when recreating the share, or you'll have a double problem :wink:

Return to “File Sharing”