Can't mount network drive

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
orrac
First post

Can't mount network drive

Post by orrac »

I have a TS-251+ with the latest firmware (4.5.1.1495 build 20201123).

I want to mount folders from my Synology NAS. I can mount the folders without any problems in Windows, so the Synology part seems fine.

On my QNAP in the Network Drive Mount Wizard I select Remote Devices and enter the server name, \\mycoolservername, select CIFS/SMB and enter account details. When I click browse for the Destination folder I can see all folders and select the one I want. So the connection and account works.

But when I name my Connection and click Create I get:
Error Message
Unable to connect to the remote service. Check your network and remote service settings.

Also: if I in the Browse destination window try to expand any of the folders I get the same error message as above.

I tried using \\mycoolservername\thefolderiwant as server url, but I still see the root and all top level folders (including thefolderiwant) when I click browse.

Any ideas?
RafaelXI
First post

Re: Can't mount network drive

Post by RafaelXI »

Hi,
You have to enter the server name (or IP) without double backslash.
Mrooijer
New here

Post by Mrooijer »

That's a very nasty error, when the \\ works in the first part and does not for the second part. Anyway thanks for the hint. At the same time the screen suggests it is looking for devices on the local net, but it doesn't find anything the first time.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Mrooijer wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:28 am That's a very nasty error, when the \\ works in the first part and does not for the second part. Anyway thanks for the hint. At the same time the screen suggests it is looking for devices on the local net, but it doesn't find anything the first time.
Hi, what is the make and model of your NAS please?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mrooijer
New here

Post by Mrooijer »

That's a very recent TS-433 with QTS version 5.0.1.2248. I bought it a couple of days ago and I'm new to QTS. I wanted to transfer all the data from my very old ReadyNas NV. So I used HybridMount to mount an external share. The behaviour I described above is in that app. It accepts \\<name> and finds all the shares, but it only makes the mount without the \\. It is in the wizard where it also seems to look for external devices on the local net, but it does not find any. But there are several others.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Cant follow what are you complaining about.
May some screenshots would be helpful.
At my end Hybrid Mount runs without an (known) issue to remote devices in LAN (SMB/CIFS) and to a cloud service (Dropbox).

Regards
Mrooijer
New here

Post by Mrooijer »

FSC830 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:55 am Cant follow what are you complaining about.
May some screenshots would be helpful.
At my end Hybrid Mount runs without an (known) issue to remote devices in LAN (SMB/CIFS) and to a cloud service (Dropbox).

Regards
Have you tried to reproduce the \\ error that the OP described and I commented upon? After that - try to explain what you cannot follow.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Yes I tried, but actually, the field description is "enter URL or IP", both is not an UNC path (\\). So you complain that QNAP does not check that YOU enter a wrong entry!?
Use the correct entries and all is fine and works as expected.

Regards
Mrooijer
New here

Post by Mrooijer »

FSC830 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:00 pm Yes I tried, but actually, the field description is "enter URL or IP", both is not an UNC path (\\). So you complain that QNAP does not check that YOU enter a wrong entry!?
Use the correct entries and all is fine and works as expected.

Regards
I am using the Dutch language version and that has a different text (translated: select device or IP address). Anyway, software should allways tell the user what is wrong with his input (say I with 40 years experience in the field). Anyway a device-name is not a valid URL so it should not ask for a Server-URL.

Having said that it still does not explain why it does not list any of the available servers in my network.

Return to “File Sharing”