Can't access TS219P+ via LG TV since switched to BT

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
Nomadski
Starting out

Can't access TS219P+ via LG TV since switched to BT

Post by Nomadski »

Just changed my broadband from EE to BT. Everything is set up with the Smarthub router, but I cannot see the NAS via my LG smart TVs anymore, whereas before I could.

I tried the myQNAPcloud auto router setup but it hasn't changed anything?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Can't access TS219P+ via LG TV since switched to BT

Post by dolbyman »

why would you touch myqnapcloud when it's a LAN issue ?

dont forward any part of your NAS to WAN, it's EOL and will not receive security updates

what protocol is used ?..DLNA?
Nomadski
Starting out

Post by Nomadski »

I'm sorry I have never got a handle on networking, I use very basic features of NAS (backup photos and videos and use to access them on Smart TV or PC and that's it really) so when I googled the issue it was a potential solution so I tried it. I have never used myQNAPcloud for anything before so.

I do understand my NAS is old but it still works for what I want from it so.

When you ask what protocol is used (DLNA) what do you mean? By the NAS? By the router? On the BT router network page for the NAS it says address assignment DHCP, but I don't know if that's relevant.

I activated IPv6 option on NAS and port forwarded 8200 on BT firewall and after a TV reboot the NAS seems to have reappeared. Are you saying I should remove that port forward on the router?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

DLNA would be between NAS and TV ..the router is for the connection from WAN to LAN ..so does not really come into play here (if only for the network switch or wifi connection)

so ipv6 and any port forwards would not help your problem here

definitely remove any and all port forwards to your nas and uPnP as well
Nomadski
Starting out

Post by Nomadski »

Forgive the resurrection of this thread, but I took heed of your warnings about port forwarding and UPnP with the recent Ransomware developments and disabled the port forward as well as all online applications. I also removed the ports forwarded onto the router for the NAS as well.

However that has left me unable to play any movies to any of my smart TVs from the NAS, it had worked perfectly with the settings I just disabled.

The TVs see the Qnap in their source list, but when I select it and then "photo & video" when I select video and then all videos ( or by folder or by classification) on the tv I just get a message saying no video files or folders exist in storage device.

In the Qnap Media Streaming Add-on the IP addresses of the TVs appear and are checked under Media Receivers, DLNA Media Server is enabled and the default account to be used is my main account, so I really don't know where to go from here?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have a 419p+ with twonky DLNA ..no upnp and no port forwards ...it works fine

So you must have changed someting else ...(have you tried twonky ? ...it's free on your old NAS)
Nomadski
Starting out

Post by Nomadski »

Haven't changed anything bar turning off portforwarding, SSH, UpnP discovery service and FTP on the NAS, and removing its entries on the BT router port forward page. On the PC I can see the Qnap DLNA server visible in network locations but clicking on it and going to video reveals an empty folder. It's like the directories specified in multimedia management are just being completely ignored.

These are my current overall settings -
Screenshot Capture - 2021-05-05 - 16-55-41.jpg
I have never used Twonky, I activated it and then went to the settings page through the provided link on QFP. Got it to appear on PC, and on TVs and the folder arrangement is fine, but thru Twonky 50 odd videos are called EVO apparently so I can't distinguish what film is what, even though in the folder they have their own names.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no need to censor the ports .. we have no public IP from you and you said all portforwards are removed

the "Evo" problem is because these videos are probably downloaded movie rips and the scene group has filled out the metadata in the files

Return to “File Sharing”