Help needed: Assign shares by LAN interface?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
storageneeded
Starting out

Help needed: Assign shares by LAN interface?

Post by storageneeded »

Is it possible to "divide" a Qnap NAS running QTS 4.4 between two different physical LANs for added security? I thought this used to be an option but I don't see any way to accomplish it in 4.4? Accomplishing the same thing with VLANs might also be an option but I don't see how to do that either? Basically I want a single NAS to live on both a "public" and a "private" network where the public LAN users can't even see the shares on the private network. Is there some way to accomplish this I'm missing? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Help needed: Assign shares by LAN interface?

Post by dolbyman »

never put the NAS on a public network..certainly not WAN

the question was asked and answered in the past

viewtopic.php?t=103373
storageneeded
Starting out

Post by storageneeded »

@dolbyman that's not at all what I was asking... I meant more like a guest WiFi network within a LAN not exposing the NAS to the WAN. The question still stands? Is there a way to divide access across the multiple LAN interfaces in a Qnap NAS?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Did you read the link ?

(Spoiler: not possible as there is only one SMB deamon,not sure if the IP ranges can still have restrictions setup..as also mentioned in this thread)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

At the end of the day, you could run a VM with separate SMB deamons in your NAS (if x86).. but that might be overkill
storageneeded
Starting out

Post by storageneeded »

@dolbyman thanks for the reply. I'm sad the dual LAN interfaces on Qnap NAS units seems to only be useful for aggregation.
Last edited by storageneeded on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Multiple LAN interfaces can also be used for Virtual Machines/Containers (physical NIC instead of bridging/NAT) or hanging the NAS into different subnets at the same time (just not splitting up certain shares)

Return to “File Sharing”