QNAP slow transfer speed over Gigabit Network

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP slow transfer speed over Gigabit Network

Post by dolbyman »

Can you remove the Bluetooth dongle and test again?
sultanbrunei
Starting out

Post by sultanbrunei »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:02 pm Can you remove the Bluetooth dongle and test again?
There is no Bluetooth dongle connected to QNAP.
I have a Bluetooth dongle connected to my PC to read SD cards. However, read/write of SD card files to QNAP and vice versa currently yield the same 'max' speed of around 10-11 MBps, just like 'max' speed of read/write files from my PC to QNAP and vice versa.

I tried a 'copy files' test from SD card to my hard drive, and the speed varies around 40 to 95 MBps.

Just to be sure of the diagnostic, I removed my Bluetooth dongle and done another test:
putty2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
syncthing
Know my way around

Post by syncthing »

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the pan0 device would be a bluetooth dongle though

It might be time for a ticket with qnap
sultanbrunei
Starting out

Post by sultanbrunei »

before network reset (which I do not think would solve the problem), I will try to directly connect QNAP to my PC and report the results here.
sultanbrunei
Starting out

Post by sultanbrunei »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:02 pm Can you remove the Bluetooth dongle and test again?
I have tried to connect directly QNAP to PC.
The transfer speed immediately gives 110 MB/s.
Upon returning QNAP back to its original position, the transfer speed is back to 10 MB/s.

I realized later on, that upon checking Status of my network port at my PC, it shows that it is connected at speed of 100.0 Mbps.
I think this is the culprit.
However, upon checking the cables that run between my PC to my Mikrotik RB760iGS router (gigabit router), the cable is Cat5e (which is supposedly gigabit cables). I used a Cat5e cable too to connect directly my PC to QNAP.
I also check the configuration of my PC network controller, the 'Speed & Duplex' settings is already set to 'Auto Negotiation'.

Could you help me, what is wrong with my network/settings?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

As I stated 2 weeks ago:
Toxic17 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:13 pm Maybe worth testing your cables or replacing them or trying different ones just in case they are faulty.
but you obviously refused to listen to my advise. and now 2 weeks later we are going round in circles :roll:

first port of call for any speed related issues is, check/test cables.

To test a cable, either replace it with a known good cable (that reports 1gb speed when plugged in) or buy new ones.

your not just checking if there is a connection your checking for speed and your speed of 10mbs means a 100mb connection is likely. if you get 110-115mpbs throughput, then your connected at 1GB.

if you want to exactly find whats wrong with a cable, buy an ethernet cable tester.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
sultanbrunei
Starting out

Post by sultanbrunei »

Toxic17 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:14 pm As I stated 2 weeks ago:
Toxic17 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:13 pm Maybe worth testing your cables or replacing them or trying different ones just in case they are faulty.
but you obviously refused to listen to my advise. and now 2 weeks later we are going round in circles :roll:

first port of call for any speed related issues is, check/test cables.

To test a cable, either replace it with a known good cable (that reports 1gb speed when plugged in) or buy new ones.

your not just checking if there is a connection your checking for speed and your speed of 10mbs means a 100mb connection is likely. if you get 110-115mpbs throughput, then your connected at 1GB.

if you want to exactly find whats wrong with a cable, buy an ethernet cable tester.
The cable is inside the walls, which is not possible for me to easily replace.
I am 100% sure though this same cable gave me 1Gbps speed in the beginning just after technician installed in my house.
Not really sure what happened along the way that suddenly reduced the speed to only 100 mbps.
I may have to buy an ethernet cable tester and learn to fix the cabling (if it is possible at all).
sultanbrunei
Starting out

Post by sultanbrunei »

OK. I managed to fix my cable problem by gently pushing and pulling the cable near the connectors.
The connection is now shown at 1.0 Gbps.

However transfer speed still is the same like before.
I attached some screenshots. Please have a look.
connect1.png
connect2.png
connect3.png
connect4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sultanbrunei
Starting out

Post by sultanbrunei »

unplugging and replugging the cables multiple times somehow solved the problem.
transfer speed is 100 MB/s now (which is representing gigabit speed).

I think the problem somehow comes from bad cable crimping that is not stable.
Thank you guys for helping me solve the problem I had with my network/qnap!
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

if the crimping is into a wall socket might be worth using a punch down tool and reseating the crimped cables again.

glad you got it working.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
sultanbrunei
Starting out

Post by sultanbrunei »

Toxic17 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:36 pm if the crimping is into a wall socket might be worth using a punch down tool and reseating the crimped cables again.

glad you got it working.
The crimping is not into a wall socket. Just connectors/plugs.
Hopefully cutting the cables and recrimping the ends to the plugs will solve this weird unstability issue! :D

Return to “File Sharing”