QNAP TS-451D2 as Media Server

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
Dooger
New here

QNAP TS-451D2 as Media Server

Post by Dooger »

TS-451D2
Current firmware version:4.5.2.1630

All I want to use the NAS for is a media server. With my older (14 Years) Netgear NAS to have devices access my Media Shares (Movies and Music) all I had to do to create the folder and enable DLNA in a check box for that folder. I could then access the shares with any device on the network through ethernet of Wi-Fi without requiring a password. On my QNAP I have created 2 folders (Movies and Music) and created a permission for everyone for read only access in the Edit Shard Folder Permission window. In that same window Guest Access Right is set to Read Only, from what I have read in this forum these are the correct settings. I have also enabled DLNA Media Server, I'm not sure if this works for the 2 folders I have created but as I don't see a setting for DLNA on the specific folders.

I have 2 Yamaha Media Streaming devices both are about 3 years old and without even having to set anything up they both found the Music folder on my Netgear NAS and I could stream music through them. However they find but can't play the Music folder on the QNAP I'm guessing because because it wants a password but no information is shown. I also have a theater system (small Windows 7 PC) I use for playing movies on Kodi and a password is also required to access the DLNA Movie folder share.

I'm guessing there is a way to link the 2 shares to the DLNA but I'm having problems finding how to do this.

Thanks for any help.
Dooger
New here

Re: QNAP TS-451D2 as Media Server

Post by Dooger »

Thought I'd add some screen shots to help.
ReadyNAS.jpg
So on my Netgear I Simply right clicked the empty space to add the folders. Then on the right hand side I checked the box Everyone/Read Only then checked Allow Anonymous Access. At the bottom turn on DLNA for the share and entered the media type (Audio for the music). The 3 folders show up on my 2 Yamaha Media players (MusicCast) and my Windows 7 Theater Media Player (Kodi) and no password required.

On my QNAP I created the 3 folders using FileStation:
File Station.jpg
Then I went to ControlPanel/Privilege/User Groups and created "everyone" group (funny it isn't there by default).
Groups.jpg
Then I went to ControlPanel/Privilege/Shared Folders and clicked the icon "Edit Shared Folder Permission" at the end of each folder and added the User Group "everyone" and at the bottom Guest Access Right set to Read Only.
Shared Folder.jpg
Then I went to ControlPanel/Applications and entered DLNA Media Server and checked Enable DLNA Media Server.
DLNA.jpg
In the DLNA window it shows that Multimedia Services must be enabled for DLNA to work so I went to Applications opened Multimedia Console and enabled it:
Media Console.jpg

So on my Media PC using Kodi I need to login to access the shares on the QNAP, not a problem really I believe that can be set up easily in Kodi, though it isn't required for access on my other NAS.
On my 2 Yamaha units with MusicCast the QNAP shows up as a Media Server but no folders show up where I can access the music like on my Netgear.
The whole process seems like a lot to go through for something I could do in a single settings screen on my 14 year old ReadyNAS so I'm guessing I missed something somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Dooger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dooger
New here

Post by Dooger »

Has anyone used a QNAP NAS as a DLNA media server? Still haven't been able to get this thing working.
I have also tried several apps on my phone that support DLNA playback. Media Monkey, Kodi and VLC could all find Media Shares on my ReadyNAS but can't seem to find them on my QNAP.
I'm sure I must be missing something in the settings somewhere but I can't figure it out. Most of the forum topics and QNAP help and support pages seem to cover playback through apps on the NAS.

Thanks again for any help.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Never used the QNAP DLNA .. but twonky and Plex both have working DLNA servers .. no problem with those
Dooger
New here

Post by Dooger »

Thanks for the reply dolbyman.

I don't want to use an app on the QNAP to stream music I just want my DLNA devices to find the Music folder and recognize it as a DLNA service.

I'm guessing by the lack of responses most people don't use QNAP NAS's as a DLNA server. It was so easy to setup on my old NAS, I could play music on my Yamaha Recievers and Sonos sound bar through apps on my phone but the apps can't find the Music Folder on the QNAP.
Dooger
New here

Post by Dooger »

Okay thought I'd post this reply form Tech Support incase anyone else is missing this step also, (seems like a lot to go through for something I could do in a single window on my old NAS):

QNAP Technical Support has updated the support ticket Q-202105-33019. To check this ticket, go to QNAP Customer Portal . A preview of the updated ticket is shown below:@@@

Hello Doug,

I can't tell from your description if you have configured the Multimedia Console or not. You will need two applications enabled to use the QNAP DLNA :

- Multimedia Console
- Multimedia streaming add-on

In the Multimedia Console go to Content Management -> DLNA. Have you added your two multimedia content folders here?

If not, select : Edit -> Now select your folders that you wish to have access to via DLNA.
unnamed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “File Sharing”