How to stop trying to connect to NAS when away from home

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
belovedmike
First post

How to stop trying to connect to NAS when away from home

Post by belovedmike »

I have a QNAP TS-453D enclosure and I'm very new to this so apologies in advance.
I use it simply to store and access media - many years of family photos and videos, which I view via Plex.
I only access these when on my local network, and only need to do that at the moment, so I connect via a local IP address (10.0.0.44).
I have my shares auto connect when I start my Macbook Pro, by setting them as login items within MacOS Catalina.

When I'm away from my home network at the office I get a pop-up on my laptop every few minutes that tells me "There was a problem connecting to server...it may be unavailable at this time" (screenshot attached). Good, I don't want it to connect. I also strongly suspect this is causing issues with other apps, including MS Teams, as it only loads once I dismiss this message.

How can I stop these messages appearing when away from my network, yet have all my shares connect automatically as soon as I'm back at home? Surely there's a simple way to do this?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How to stop trying to connect to NAS when away from home

Post by dolbyman »

apparently they could be caused by a program trying to access files on the missing share

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... ror/131788
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: How to stop trying to connect to NAS when away from home

Post by Mousetick »

belovedmike wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:11 pm I also strongly suspect this is causing issues with other apps, including MS Teams, as it only loads once I dismiss this message.
Could be the other way 'round: other apps are causing the issue by trying to access the network volume.
How can I stop these messages appearing when away from my network, yet have all my shares connect automatically as soon as I'm back at home? Surely there's a simple way to do this?
Make sure other apps don't keep a handle/alias to your home network volume, or if they do, that they gracefully give up if it's not online. Even an entry in the app's "Recent" menu could cause the issue. Contact Apple or the 3rd-party app provider for assistance or complaint.

Return to “File Sharing”