Thunderbolt 3 stopped working after firmware upgrade 4.5.3.1652

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
papabanana
New here

Thunderbolt 3 stopped working after firmware upgrade 4.5.3.1652

Post by papabanana »

I have a TVS-872XT, and just upgraded to QNAP firmware 4.5.3.1652. Thunderbolt 3 just stopped working when connected to a MacBook Pro. The cable worked fine previously, official Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable.

Why is the Thunderbolt connection not working here? I typically used QFinder Pro to set up the connection, and in the last few months it was working quite well, meaning I had to plug in the cable twice to get a connection working instead of four times previously...Thunerbolt is not bulletproof.
TVS-872XT, usually latest firmware!
perquin
Starting out

Re: Thunderbolt 3 stopped working after firmware upgrade 4.5.3.1652

Post by perquin »

hi,

what is your macos version ?
papabanana
New here

Post by papabanana »

Latest version macOS , Big Sur latest patch
perquin
Starting out

Post by perquin »

OK, i see on some forum that 11.3 as some problème with thunderbolt
Maybe it's your problem
papabanana
New here

Post by papabanana »

I have a Mac with an older version of Mac OS and you are correct it is working better! Thank you!
wfuson
New here

Post by wfuson »

Environment: mid-2017 iMac, 27", 5K, 16GB ram, 3TB HDD, macOS Big Sur 11.3, QNAP TVS-882BRT3, QTS 4.5.3.1652, LaCie TB 2 and TB 3 external HDD's.

Resolved: QNAP - iMac MacOS BigSur TB-3 connectivity issues.

I'm submitting these comments hoping that it might help others.

Connections:
ALWAYS WORKED: iMac TB3 port to OWC TB4 hub, LaCie HDD's in two chains to the OWC TB4 hub.
FAILED QNAP - iMac CONNECTION: iMac TB3 port to QNAP TB3 port

The solution for me:
QNAP TB3 connection to an OWC TB4 hub (this is the same hub supporting the LaCie HDD's)

All my TB connection issues appear to be resolved. I have a reliable QNAP-iMac connection for the first time since December, 2020.

NOTE: This is NOT AN AD FOR OWC products. The product mentioned below worked for me in this instance. Connecting the QNAP TB port to the hub instead of directly to an iMac TB3 port resolved an issue that multiple hours with QNAP & Apple support failed to address. Apple's final recommendation was to wait for the next release and hope the problem disappeared, or have QNAP developers fix the issue.

I have not had reliable TB 3 to an iMac connection since first updating to Big Sur 11.1 in Nov 2020. I didn't fully understand the severity or persistence until it was too late to realistically fall back to the previous OSX. I occasionally had intermittent TB connections until the Big Sur 11.3 upgrade. After the MacOS 11.3 upgrade I lost all TB connectivity to the QNAP.

Working with support groups I've reset the QNAP several times, completely re-installed Big Sur twice, reset NVRAM/PRAM, switched ports on the all the devices - and it did not make a difference.

Out of frustration I tried connecting the QNAP TB port to an open port on a OWC TB4 hub. iMac-QNAP connection was restored immediately and has not failed since. I have no idea why it worked, but it did. This hub is supporting the LaCie external HDD's and the QNAP without issue. I wish I understood what happened here, but for now I'm not changing anything - it's working.
wfuson
New here

Post by wfuson »

I forgot to mention the boot-up detail. After the latest macOS Big Sur upgrade my iMac began stalling during boot-up. After I cleared the NVRAM/PRAM (Option+command+P+R) and did a clean install of Big Sur, it did successfully boot, but still hesitated for significant periods at ~ 50% through the progress bar. Booting with verbose mode activated I could see repeated time-outs. If I disconnected the TB-QNAP link the iMac booted normally.

After seeing that I attempted the Hail Mary connection to the hub. The boot-up stall disappeared, verbose boot-up did not show any time-outs and TB connection is stable.

Hope this might help some other folks. There may well be other connection options that would have the same result.

Good luck all.

Return to “File Sharing”