shared folder not accessible

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: shared folder not accessible

Post by Mousetick »

stanzani wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:38 am Unfortunately all of this does not work. Any suggestion about smb settings on w10?
Can't help you if you don't provide any details. "Does not work" doesn't say anything meaningful.

There is nothing to configure on the Windows side. I'm assuming you have a fresh installation of Windows 10, you haven't changed anything that might affect networking or client-side file sharing, and you haven't installed any third-party security software. If that's not the case you need to disclose all this information. Think about it: if Windows didn't set up the correct default configuration for simple client access, it would be broken by default for all users - that would be pretty silly.
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

'Does not work means that if i enter in exporer search bar

\\<NAS-IP>

I get just the Public folder in the main explorer window (the public folder is a yellow box with a green t symbols which means 'share'') which represents a folder in windows 10). If I enter

\\<NAS-IP>\multimedia

I get a text box widget reporting that 'Windows cannot access \\<NAS-IP>\multimedia with 'Diagnose button on the center right back

Last, in windows powershell admin the Get -SmbConnection does not return any active connection

Hope this make you understand
TS-531P Annapurna
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

Mousetick wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:07 am There is nothing to configure on the Windows side. I'm assuming you have a fresh installation of Windows 10, you haven't changed anything that might affect networking or client-side file sharing, and you haven't installed any third-party security software. If that's not the case you need to disclose all this information. Think about it: if Windows didn't set up the correct default configuration for simple client access, it would be broken by default for all users - that would be pretty silly.
As I said, after a fresh installation on windows 10 I cannot access the NAS share in any way, but I can do this after two different w20 client PC and this is the point
TS-531P Annapurna
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

stanzani wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:18 pm 'Last, in windows powershell admin the Get -SmbConnection does not return any active connection
Well that's not too surprising since you can't connect there is no connection to show.
Hope this make you understand
Not really. You basically repeated what you already told before, but with more details this time (thank you).

Have you tried any of the suggestions I gave you? I can't tell if you did from your detailed report. What did you do and what were the results?
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

Mousetick wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:00 am The Public shared folder allows guest access, it doesn't require authentication. By default Windows attempts to authenticate to the file server with your Windows account username and password, if the username and password don't match anything on the server, then access is refused or guest access is allowed if applicable.

To connect with specific username and password, use the 'Map network drive' or 'Add a network location' functions in Windows Explorer, select the option to 'Connect using different credentials', and then select the option to 'Remember my credentials'.
this is suggestion #1 which I tried, W10 reports that it cannot connect
I tried to ma a network drive to
\\<nas-ip>\multimedia
I was requested of credentials and I entered the NAS administration user and pass.I got the error that 'the device attached to the network is not functioning
Make sure WS-Discovery is enabled on the NAS: Control Panel > Network & File Services > Win/Mac/NFS > Microsoft Networking > Advanced Options > Enable WS-Discovery to help SMB clients discover the NAS.
this is suggestion #2 which I checked on NAS side, WS-discovery is enabled (it looks enable by default, I did not touched any option in the advanced section)

I cannot find any other suggestion: please let me know if I missed something
Ia also tried from windows poershell
Get-SmbConnection
and I get a void list of connections as expected
Then I tried this app not https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... mbv1-v2-v3
by enabling SMB2 and 3 on w10 client
No success '

Thanks
TS-531P Annapurna
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

I also tried to map a network drive using Qnap Finder according to https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... in-windows

This also does not work, probably becase of the same unknown root cause
TS-531P Annapurna
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

stanzani wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:53 pm this is suggestion #1 which I tried, W10 reports that it cannot connect
I tried to ma a network drive to
\\<nas-ip>\multimedia
I was requested of credentials and I entered the NAS administration user and pass.I got the error that 'the device attached to the network is not functioning
What are the SMB min and max versions settings on the NAS? Control Panel > Network & File Services > Win/Mac/NFS > Microsoft Networking > Advanced Options
How is the laptop connected to the network: Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

Try creating a brand new shared folder, don't change any settings, just make sure admin user has R/W access (add it if not, but I think it should be by default). Then try mapping the new shared folder from the laptop with admin user credentials.
Then I tried this app not https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... mbv1-v2-v3
by enabling SMB2 and 3 on w10 client
No success '
Like I said there is no reason to mess around with Windows 10 "out-of-the-box" configuration. If anything that will make things worse.
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

SMB min/max is 1 and 3. The working laptop is connected by wifi, the not working PC is connected by ethernet.
Mapping a newly created folder to a network drive still does not work.

I attached two screenshots from the control panel

One point: I could map networks drives on PC-B *before* a fresh w10 reinstall and I can map on other PCs so I think the issue is in windows configuration of PC-B rather that the SMB configuration of the NAS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-531P Annapurna
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

stanzani wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:43 pm One point: I could map networks drives on PC-B *before* a fresh w10 reinstall and I can map on other PCs so I think the issue is in windows configuration of PC-B rather that the SMB configuration of the NAS
The difference is that a fresh installation of Windows 10 doesn't include the SMB 1.0 and NetBIOS protocols anymore because they're obsolete, unsecure and no longer maintained. It may still be installed on PC-A depending on how long ago Windows 10 was installed on it.

You can add it back to PC-B if you want, but that's not recommended and should not be necessary to connect to the NAS:
Control Panel > Program & Features > Turn Windows features on or off > SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support > SMB 1.0/CIFS Client.

For WS Discovery to work on Windows 10, your network must be set to 'Private' (not 'Public') and this service needs to be running:
- Function Discovery Provider Host

Edit: So I stumbled upon your thread on the Windows 10 forums. Start by disabling the Services for NFS feature. That may be the reason why you're seeing the Public folder. NFS doesn't help, it's useless in your case and it's confusing - why didn't you mention it when you were asked here what you changed on Windows? You're wasting people's time.
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

Thanks for lurking my thread in ten forums
Sorry for notifying the windows related experiments, they were useless anyway they were unsuccessful tests and I was ready to report the solution in case. At the end I did not modify w10, I just experimented the options
I the followed your hints
- no SMB1.0/CIFS
- no NFS
- disable NETBIOS
Now the public folder disappear BUT the access to the nas in internet explorer through \\<nas ip> or \\nas name> is not possible at all ... the issue now is tha I cannot enable Files and Printers sharing in the Nework and Sharing center from control panels ... it looks like SMB1.0 must be enabled for enabling files and printers sharing ...
I also cannot se the NAS-MS (or <nas-ip> in the network on the explorer bottom left
TS-531P Annapurna
stanzani
Know my way around

Post by stanzani »

Is there any linux command to use for try some configuration or check connection on the nas side?
TS-531P Annapurna
Rucifa
First post

Post by Rucifa »

So... I found this post whilst searching for an answer to a similar issue that I was having. I managed to resolve my issue so thought I'd update this post so it may hopefully help someone in the future.
I actually registered on this forum just to do this, so please, don't go all "Internet" on me.

My issue was solved by looking in the QUFirewall, the account on the PC that was trying to access the share had been blocked for too many incorrect logins, not sure how that happened but it did. It was blocked for a million days or something stupid like that.

In QUFirewall, click the three dots next to IP access protection, if the IP address of the computer that you are trying to access the share from is listed, you just delete that entry and you are good to go.

Hope that helps someone in the future.

Rucifa
TS231-P

Return to “File Sharing”