Renaming a folder caused it to become hidden. How to undo?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
ron_jeremy
Starting out

Renaming a folder caused it to become hidden. How to undo?

Post by ron_jeremy »

TS-219P II

I was in File Station and renamed /Multimedia/Movies to /Multimedia/Film but now the /Film folder has become invisible to local LAN clients unless I have hidden files enabled on them.

Why did this happen?

I tried reversing the name change but it did not help and also rebooted the NAS & rebooted clients.

Note: I do not have any apps installed, and DLNA Media Server, Twonky, & Media Library are all disabled.

My Apps:
app-center.png
File Station /Multimedia folder:
file-station-multimedia.png
macOS Finder does not see /Film:
macos-finder-multimedia.png
I even tried reaching the folder via the backup software I use but it also does not see /Film:
chronosync-express-browser.png
But the folder is visible if I enable hidden folders:
chronosync-express-browser-hidden-files.png
Any idea how to unhide the /Films folder?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-219P II / 4.3.3.2211
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: Renaming a folder caused it to become hidden. How to undo?

Post by Mousetick »

Are you logging in to QTS and connecting to the NAS from the Mac with the same username?
What happens when you open the hidden Film folder from the backup software, can you see its contents?

It's going to be difficult to troubleshoot without diving into the innards of the NAS, using Terminal on the Mac. Or if you have a Mac file manager that can display hidden files, such as Path Finder or ForkLift, that could be useful.

Please indicate if Access-based Enumeration is enabled for the Multimedia shared folder on the NAS (Control Panel > Privilege > Shared Folders > Edit Properties):
ABE.png

In File Station, right-click on Film and select Properties in the menu. Take screenshot of Properties panel. Select Permissions tab in Properties panel. Take screenshot. Then post screenshots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ron_jeremy
Starting out

Post by ron_jeremy »

Thanks for offering to help. I "fixed" the problem by creating a new folder /Multimedia/Test which immediately appeared on all LAN clients. Then I moved the contents of /Multimedia/Film to /Test then deleted /Film then renamed /Test to /Film and all is good. I have no idea why simply renaming the orignal /Movies folder to /Film made it disappear aross the LAN.
TS-219P II / 4.3.3.2211
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Excellent. I was going to suggest that solution which is why I asked about availability of a file manager on the Mac, intending to perform the move from the Mac.

Out of curiosity, did you create Test and move the Film contents using File Station?

No idea why the rename caused the folder to become invisible. The file server on the NAS or the network client on the Mac may have become confused for some reason. I don't know if you had already tried that, but disconnecting and reconnecting the Mac(s) might have cleared up the issue.
Diacovally
First post

Post by Diacovally »

There is no other option? Only to move the entire folder? I have a folder that has tb of data and it will take hours to move. Does anybody know why is this happening? There is another workaround to fix this?

Thank you!

Return to “File Sharing”