macOS can't connect to SMB on TS-453D

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
tomaspal
First post

macOS can't connect to SMB on TS-453D

Post by tomaspal »

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here. I previously had a TS-431P that had been working great for the past year or two. It recently failed and I migrated my 4 drive RAID 5 array over to a TS-453D. I am running a fully Apple house as far as computers go. I can access everything via the web application and via AFP, but can't for the life of me get any of my Macs (running either Big Sur or Catalina) to connect via SMB. I have the "Enable file service for Microsoft networking" checkbox checked. When I try to connect via SMB either via Bonjour or by "Connect to Server...", I get "There was a problem connecting to the server..."

Doing a port scan of the new QNAP device, I'm seeing that port 465 is open.

What am I missing here?

Really I'm just trying to use this this RAID as a Time Machine backup for various machines on our local network. This was all working fine with the TS-431P, but I had a hardware failure on it where the SATA 3 and 4 ports no longer worked, so I had to move the drives to a new chassis. I can access the volume just fine via AFP, but Time Machine on Catalina or Big Sur only seem to like SMB shares.

I'm guessing I'm missing something silly here. Please help if you can!
-Tom
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: macOS can't connect to SMB on TS-453D

Post by Mousetick »

tomaspal wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:53 am Doing a port scan of the new QNAP device, I'm seeing that port 465 is open.
Is it really 465 or was it a typo? It should be 445.
What am I missing here?
Hard to tell. So you just migrated the drives to the new NAS and everything is configured as it was on the old one?

Try creating a brand new shared folder and accessing it via SMB from the Macs.

Return to “File Sharing”