Windows slowness with LArge storage

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
nigelgourley
Starting out

Windows slowness with LArge storage

Post by nigelgourley »

We have QNAp's with 600+TB storage and we are finding with windows it becomes impossibly slow to look at files and folders..

Obviously we have a really large number of folders and files.

The servers are Mapped drives in windows 10 pro 10G ethernet

Anything we can do to improve this?

NIge
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: Windows slowness with LArge storage

Post by Mousetick »

Since this issue is not QNAP-specific and is inherent to Windows, the best advice I can give is to simply search online for possible answers. There may not be a satisfactory solution as Windows Explorer will always be slow when browsing large folders no matter what.

- Start by turning off or disabling or uninstalling any 3rd-party program running in the background, particularly those that add features to Windows Explorer (e.g. context menu options, icon decorations, previews, ...), including anti-virus and security applications. They may make things significantly worse.
- Google "windows explorer slow large number of files". Skip any advice that requires editing the registry or the group policies or disabling services.
- Use a 3rd-party indexing/cataloging application that builds a library of the folders' contents allowing you to browse and search them without using Windows Explorer, even while the storage is offline. Some applications provide enhanced functionality for media (audio, video, photo) files, with previews and metadata.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Re: Windows slowness with LArge storage

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi Nigel -
it's Bob Zelin. How are you.
For your application, why don't you use an asset management program on one of your computers, like CatDV or Axle Video ?
I know exactly what you are trying to do. On the Mac side, for free, some people use the free app EasyFind. I have been pretty disappointed with QNAP QSirch, even
after it indexes all the files. I don't know why you have not looked at one of the video asset management programs, instead of trying to use Windows finder for free !

bobzelin@icloud.com
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “File Sharing”