How to transfer photos from my Camera using FTP

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
DhandaNot
First post

How to transfer photos from my Camera using FTP

Post by DhandaNot »

I would like to transfer photos from my Canon Camera R6 using FTP that I have set up on NAS model TSh973AX.

How do I go about it? What address / settings should I use on the camera?

The NAS also provides a Private Cloud feature. The camera has options to transfer to cloud but looks like it only offers it for Public Cloud like Google, Flickr, etc.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: How to transfer photos from my Camera using FTP

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

This camera?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09HM9D1tfhc

are you trying to do remote?

why not connect to your qnap via VPN (vpn server setup on router where your nas resides, then use a vpn client from your laptop, smartphone etc) then use the qfile to connect to the qnap shares, to then copy the images to your NAS? Why FTP? sftp might be okay though, read here
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-diffe ... PN-and-FTP

not familiar with your camera, but usually you transfer the files off it to a client device like a pc/laptop/mobile, then procede to use the vpn to connect to your qnap remotely, to then be able to use qfile (android app) or just login straight to QTS then use filestation, OR if you using a windows 10 pc, just browse to file explorer > network > qnap device share from there, then procede to copy your pictures over.

not sure what storage your camera uses, but if it uses a SD card, you can use a SD card reader that has usb in it, to be able to plugin the sd card, then plug that into your pc to then extract the pictures that way :' (i have this for my smartphone so i know how it works)

If you are transfering locally on same lan, you can skip the VPN part :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How to transfer photos from my Camera using FTP

Post by dolbyman »

Avoid "private cloud" stuff like the plague..it will get you hacked

If you cam supports Dropbox and stuff, do a HBS3 pull or hybridmount sync. It will get the photos from the (real) external cloud solution into your NAS without exposure

Return to “File Sharing”