Windows trying to access NAS share with Microsoft Account

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
benny.evangelisat
Starting out

Windows trying to access NAS share with Microsoft Account

Post by benny.evangelisat »

HI everybody,

I've been experiencing this issue from months, but never found a fix. I have a QNAP TS-253A NAS reporting failed access to SMB resource everytime my pC boots. It seems that everytime Windows starts it tries to access NAS root (\\my_nas_name) using my email address (from the Microsoft Account used at login, I presume) as username. Obviously there's no such user on my NAS and it fails. This behaviour goes on for minutes after system boot, there's no evidence in windows but I see in my NAS webconsole hundreds of failed access. I have saved in windows the credentials to access NAS shared folder, and they work fine in windows explorer when I browse the remote folders, but still can't fix the weird issue.

After a hardware upgrade I had to format and install windows from scratch, and I experienced the problem again, so I think it's something windows-related, but maybe some of you QNAP friends can think of something...any suggestion?
rcblackwell
Getting the hang of things

Re: Windows trying to access NAS share with Microsoft Account

Post by rcblackwell »

I experienced a similar problem. It was resolved through creation of a user account on the NAS that used the email address (the login name) of the Windows PC.
Robert Blackwell
Stratford, Ontario Canada

Primary NAS
QNAP TS-251, Firmware QTS 4.3.6.0875
8 GB, 2 x 4TB WD WD40EFRX HD's in RAID 1 Configuration
benny.evangelisat
Starting out

rcblackwell wrote: ↑Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:40 pm I experienced a similar problem. It was resolved through creation of a user account on the NAS that used the email address (the login name) of the Windows PC.
I've already tried, but didn't fix it? How did you set the password?
rcblackwell
Getting the hang of things

Post by rcblackwell »

benny.evangelisat wrote: ↑Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:55 pmHow did you set the password?
I'm not sure what you mean. What was the issue when you tried this method?

The same password used to access the Windows PC was utilized for the USER created on the NAS.
Robert Blackwell
Stratford, Ontario Canada

Primary NAS
QNAP TS-251, Firmware QTS 4.3.6.0875
8 GB, 2 x 4TB WD WD40EFRX HD's in RAID 1 Configuration
benny.evangelisat
Starting out

rcblackwell wrote: ↑Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:47 pm
The same password used to access the Windows PC was utilized for the USER created on the NAS.
You just answered me, thanks. I will give it a try, even if this sounds more like a workaround than a fix. I'd like to understand why windows is trying to access in this way and how to disable it, but ok, we all know windows from a long time.... πŸ˜‰
Last edited by benny.evangelisat on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

benny.evangelisat wrote: ↑Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:37 pm I'd like to understand why windows is trying to access in this way and how to disable it, but ok, we all know windows from a long time.... πŸ˜‰
I could be wrong because I haven't installed from scratch Windows 10 in quite a while, but I don't think a fresh installation of Windows 10 is supposed to connect to a file server on its own. It must be caused by something you did at some point: the way you set up Windows or the user account during installation, or some configuration you changed post-installation, or some 3rd-party software you installed afterwards.

If you really wanted to understand what's going on and find the culprit, you would need to reinstall Windows from scratch and retrace your steps one by one, rebooting at each step, until the problem reoccurs.

You probably have much better things to do with your time, so you'll have to live with the suggested workaround, assuming it works for you (it should) :)
benny.evangelisat
Starting out

Mousetick wrote: ↑Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:18 pm
benny.evangelisat wrote: ↑Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:37 pm I'd like to understand why windows is trying to access in this way and how to disable it, but ok, we all know windows from a long time.... πŸ˜‰
I could be wrong because I haven't installed from scratch Windows 10 in quite a while, but I don't think a fresh installation of Windows 10 is supposed to connect to a file server on its own. It must be caused by something you did at some point: the way you set up Windows or the user account during installation, or some configuration you changed post-installation, or some 3rd-party software you installed afterwards.

If you really wanted to understand what's going on and find the culprit, you would need to reinstall Windows from scratch and retrace your steps one by one, rebooting at each step, until the problem reoccurs.

You probably have much better things to do with your time, so you'll have to live with the suggested workaround, assuming it works for you (it should) :)
yes, the workaround...worked!

I agree that Windows should not try to access by itself a file server, but I didn't found what is causing this issue. I actually have Windows "music" and "download" folder pointing at shared folders on my nas, but for the same path I have saved the right credentials in Windows credential manager (in fact when I browse nas folders I don't have to enter credentials).

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions, maybe one day I'll find the final answer....

Return to β€œFile Sharing”