TVS-h1288x slow file transfer speed over 10g

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
ignipotens
New here

TVS-h1288x slow file transfer speed over 10g

Post by ignipotens »

I am hoping some here can help me troubleshoot where my speed issue is coming from. I recently purchased a TVS-h1288x and after getting everything setup I mapped the drive in windows and dragged and dropped a large file. I was expecting to get well over 500MB/s transfer speeds but the best I can get is 250MB/s.

I have tried many different combinations of enabling jumbo frames, disabling jumbo frames, connecting through my 10g switch, connecting directly to the nas, and nothing seems to help. Is my limitation my local raid setup that I am copying the files from or is there something else I am missing?

Here is the most basic setup I tried. Direct connect from desktop to nas with cat 6a. Desktop has a tp-link 10g TX401 nic installed in a pci-e x16 slot. I am connecting directly to one of the NAS 10g ports. Jumbo frames are enabled on my desktop and on the 10g interface in the nas. Drives in the nas are configured as follows: 8 - 6TB Exos in raid 5 and 4 - 240GB Iron Wolf SSDs in raid 10. The SSD pool is new as I was thinking my HDDs were limiting me. I tried enabling cache with the SSDs but I discovered that QuTS Hero doesn't have an option for write cache and the Read Cache and ZIL Synchronized Write Log option didn't help so I just created a storage pool out of them and I'm testing against it. I am copying from my desktop that has 5 - 2TB WD Reds in raid 5 to the nas. The files I am using to test are 17GB each in size (mkv files). When I run a lan test I'm seeing only ~1.2 Gbps writes and ~2 Gbps reads.
Screenshot 2021-06-22 221751.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ignipotens
New here

Re: TVS-h1288x slow file transfer speed over 10g

Post by ignipotens »

I discovered that my 10g nic while connected to what looked like a x16 slot was really a x4 slot but was set to x1 in the bios. I changed it to x4 and now I see speeds at 350MB/s. Though it is still much lower than I expected. Am I now at the mercy of my read rates of the local raid setup I am copying from? I do have a new nvme ssd coming to test out this theory.

Here is my local raid array with various speed tests:
Screenshot 2021-06-23 144453.png
Screenshot 2021-06-23 144511.png
Screenshot 2021-06-23 145657.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ignipotens
New here

Post by ignipotens »

No one?

New NVME drive arrived today. I installed it on my desktop and moved the test files to it. Locally the speeds are amazing with the new nvme drive so I have eliminated any potential bottleneck with my local raid array being the slow down.
Unfortunately I am still only getting 350MB/s transfer speeds so it doesn't look like my drives were the cause. The only thing left is maybe I have a bad nic in my nas?

Local NVME Drice Speed Test:
Screenshot 2021-06-24 162709.png
kevsaccount
New here

Post by kevsaccount »

I was just having issues myself with file copy from windows 10 having - absolutely woeful speeds over a 10Gbe link to my NAS (no issues from my Linux partition). In my case disabling AutoTuning caused my speeds to jump from between 30-70MB/s to almost 450-500MB/s simply using drag and drop.

From an elevated command prompt:

Disable:

Code: Select all

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
Enable:

Code: Select all

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
Likely unrelated just looking at the speeds you're achieving already but might be worth the minute or so it takes to test it.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

this is the problem of troubleshooting, and not having access to enough equipment to see if it's your computer causing the issue. I install TVS-h1288x systems all the time. I setup with ZFS (QuTS) Storage Pool 1 - I use just 2 SSD's for the OS. Then I create an 8 drive RAID 6 thin provisioned RAID group, which takes all of 60 seconds. When I connect from a Mac with a QNAP QNA-T310G1T, or a Win 10 PC with a QNAP QXG-10G1T, I always get 800 - 900 MB/sec read and write. I recently did an install with a QNAP Enterprise TS-h1886XU-RP with 12 drives, and 2 M.2 480 Gig drives for the operating system (QuTS). All the computers gave GREAT speeds, EXCEPT for one
deadly expensive HP Z8. I did not put the effort out to go into the BIOS of this computer (as it was not part of my install) but all their other Win 10 PC's, which were cheap home made PC's with the QXG-10G1T all gave about 900 MB/sec - but this ONE HP Z8 could not go faster than 250 MB/sec using the same speed tests you are using (AJA System Test, and Blackmagic Disk Speed Test). So my first piece of advice to you is to BORROW SOMEONE ELSES COMPUTER and try it.

Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “File Sharing”