NAS Name Reverts to IP Address

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
businkin
Starting out

NAS Name Reverts to IP Address

Post by businkin »

Hi.

I have a QNAP TS-453Be on 4.5.4.1715.

I gave it a name of Curry453NAS and assigned it an IP of 192.168.0.101.

Everything was working fine and I could map Windows 10 to the network drives on the QNAP.

But all of a sudden a mapping such as (\\Curry453NAS) doesn't work anymore. I have to Map to the IP address.

The name Curry453NAS still shows on Windows File Explorer but I get an error if I click on it. Qfinder still shows the NAS with this name.

What has happened and what can I do to stop this again?

Thanks

Brad
torch1
Know my way around

Re: NAS Name Reverts to IP Address

Post by torch1 »

What does your router "think"? Where (NAS or router) did you give it a name and IP address?
When you map a name ("\\Curry453NAS"), Windows will (normally) send a query to your router to ask it "Who has Curry453NAS? Normally your router provides the Hostname <--> IP Address mapping and will respond with "IP 192.168.0.101 has Curry453NAS". You can install Wireshark https://www.wireshark.org/ on your Windows machine and verify this....and probably see where your problem is. I suggest you assign the name (Curry453NAS) on the NAS and do not assign it a static IP address anywhere and let it obtain its IP from the router through DHCP. Disconnect the eithernet cable to the NAS, the reconnect after a few mins. If that has not resolved it then reboot the NAS.
businkin
Starting out

Post by businkin »

Thanks for your response.

I have Curry453NAS named on the NAS and the router assigns a static IP address to it.

I did as you suggested and removed the static IP address assignment, rebooted the router and pulled the network cable out of the NAS, and then rebooted the NAS.

For some reason, it still assigns the same IP address to the NAS. But is this the issue?

The problem is that I can only see the NAS under the IP address from Windows. It does not recognise its name.

I downloaded Wireshark but it has a lot of options - I don't know what to do.

Any other thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

Many (most?) routers now give the same IP address to the same client (PC) based on the MAC (hardware) address of the network card - this is one reason you don't need to assign a static IP.
Your router should pick up the name of your NAS when it first connects. You may be able to assign that name (Curry453NAS) to the IP address on the router.
businkin
Starting out

Post by businkin »

When I check the Devices section of the router, my NAS is listed by name alongside the IP address. So the router knows that Curry453NAS is at 192.168.0.101.

Is there anything else I should do or just accept it and map to the IP address?

Thanks
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

So your router is getting NAS hostname Curry453NAS from the NAS - that is good. Can your Win10 device find the NAS if you use a FQDN: \\Curry453NAS.lan (or whatever domain name you have set for your LAN in your router)?

Return to “File Sharing”