Advanced Folder Permission issue for a very simple task

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
lmarceg
Starting out

Advanced Folder Permission issue for a very simple task

Post by lmarceg »

Hi,
I have a TS-231 running 4.5.4.1741 and I just would like to set some advanced permissions.
I have created a root folder, giving it RW access to everyone and activating the "only admin can write files and folders"
I also created two more subfolders and I tried to give Folder2 a RO permission to a user.
No matter what I do, QNAP always tells me that one or more users/groups have been given RO access to the root folder (which is not true).
What can I do to solve the problems? Maybe playing with the terminal? But I don't know how to check the advanced permissions in the terminal.

So, I am playing with a newly created testfolder, for which everyone has RW access
2021-08-26_10h52_19.png
I have configured everything correctly (apparently)
2021-08-26_10h52_41.png
Still, if I try to configure a user as RO on Folder2 and click on Apply, I get the message below
2021-08-26_10h53_02.png
Any help is appreciated, I have tried all the possible combinations, but so far I didn't have any luck
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Advanced Folder Permission issue for a very simple task

Post by dolbyman »

Did you enable advanced permissions ?
lmarceg
Starting out

Post by lmarceg »

Yes, I did.
Otherwise, I would not be able to configure a per-folder policy.

So far, I have taken the decision manually change owner:group for the folders I need and play with the setgid bit, and it's working fine, though this just limits the folder to be RO for everyone else but the owner of the file.
I have asked QNAP and they have told me to scratch the entire NASA configuration (!) and restart from zero (!). Woah, what a help!
lmarceg
Starting out

Post by lmarceg »

I just wanted to let you know that I got the answer from QNAP: it's not a supported feature.
The root folder MUST BE RW to everyone and there is no way to change this behaviour.

Therefore I cannot use ACL the way I'd like.

Return to “File Sharing”