Ethernet vs WiFi fail

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
markc6123
Starting out

Ethernet vs WiFi fail

Post by markc6123 »

Greetings.
Recently I had need to move my laptop away from my ethernet cable and use WiFi. No issues, my Windows 10 laptop could still see the files on the NAS. I moved the laptop back to within range of the ethernet cable and when I re-connect, I lose all connection to the NAS. I can't hit the web GUI, can't see files in explorer, Qfinder doesn't see it. I deleted credentials in Windows credential manager, rebooted all devices, laptop, Asus router and NAS. I get repeated denials of the IP address and having it added to the security log. I submitted a ticket to Qnap days ago but have heard nothing. Any thoughts here please? Thanks.
-Mark
Mark C
TS-251
Windows 11
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Ethernet vs WiFi fail

Post by dolbyman »

are you accessing the NAS via IP or name

is the wifi AND wired Ethernet active ?
markc6123
Starting out

Post by markc6123 »

Two directories mapped to the NAS are accessible, they are listed showing the NAS name.
Qfinder can now see the NAS. When I hit "network drives", it pops up the list showing IP address. When I click on one of the directories I get "Windows cannot access \\192.168.etc.etc. You do not have permission to access....
When I click on the NAS under network neighborhood, it shows with the NAS name. Clicking on a directory there gives me the logon with credentials box, with my user name pre filled. I drop in my password and get "access is denied".
Disconnect ethernet and re-connect to Wifi, NAS does not appear under network neighborhood. I can map drives using Qfinder, they show up using IP address, not NAS name.
I now have two directories mapped, showing IP address, and two mapped showing NAS name. All are accessible using WIFI.
I unchecked "connect automatically" in Wifi connection and re-connected ethernet. NAS appears now in network neighborhood. I can map directories and they list as NAS name, while using Qfinder they show up using IP address. Is there a preference?
It would appear that I was connected via ethernet AND Wifi? I didn't know that could happen.
Thanks for reading and the "trigger" mentioning IP addy or Nas name.
I'm not convinced it's fixed as I thought I had it working last night, if not I 'll be back, thanks again.
Mark C
TS-251
Windows 11
markc6123
Starting out

Post by markc6123 »

I thought my issue was resolved but it's not. When on wifi, I've mapped 4 directories using Qfinder. When I disconnect wifi and connect ethernet, I can only access 2 of the four directories. What in the wide world of sports is going on here???
Mark C
TS-251
Windows 11

Return to “File Sharing”