Fils Station taking ages to finish copying

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
TECH1982
Starting out

Fils Station taking ages to finish copying

Post by TECH1982 »

I have a TS-251 (2G), and "Background Tasks" is taking ages to finish few files. 1 to 4 files at least

If left long enough, the copy does evenually finish, but the fact it always happens when copying a bulk (900Gig, 1.5TB etc) does anyone know whats casuing this ?

QNAP tell me the process of 100/104 for example, is calculated estimated, but if that were true the file size in Filestation would''t match with original

I put it down to some cache issue, but its rather annoying. I'm, not sure yet weather this is due to copying TO USB drive, or TO NAS.... but it's annoying never-the-less. But when the issue happens, i was copying to USB.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Re: Fils Station taking ages to finish copying

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

900GB to 1.5TB is not an insignificant amount of data and with subjective terms like "taking ages" it may be moving at expected speed. What drives do you have in the NAS and what configuration of RAID? What drive are you copying to/from? What USB version does it support? Are you using encryption? Are you moving a few large files or many small files? What is the total time for the transfer of 1.5TB?
TECH1982
Starting out

Re: Fils Station taking ages to finish copying

Post by TECH1982 »

I have RAID 1. The drives i am using are Seagate Barracuda 4TB drives. (x2)

While there not NAS-class drives i've rules out this possibility, because if it was due to performance, it would be varied, and not not always happen at the end of the copying

I'm copying to usb 3 external drive, attached to front usb port on NAS Copying from internal to external.. No encryption is being used on either. Copying many small files... but the total amounts to max 1.5TB..

The copy went through fine up until the last few files then it took "ages".. (It may of not seem ages, but it was ages to m, when every other file took seconds) The estimated time during this phase was meaningless as it kept increasing, so a more precise time was when it finally finished..

The time reporting in Background tasks was 8:00 am as it ran over night,....

The actual time status change to "complete' was 5 hours after.... so it took 5 hours just to copy 4 small files, which the rest copied just fine in seconds. while the whole thing actually "completed status" by around 12 pm.

I think it gets stuck, because during these long moments the first file is there in FS, with exact size as the original, yet it doesn't move on...
I'm trying to find out why it doesn't and what it's doing.

It it was a drive issue, then it would also be varied wouldn't it?.... but i've pinpoint it only happens at the end of copying when the issue happens no where else.... Doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes.

Return to “File Sharing”