Home folders or User share folder

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
kmaultsby18
Starting out

Home folders or User share folder

Post by kmaultsby18 »

Hello all, I have question about reguarding Home folders and Share folders. I am setting up my NAS and I will be backing up a lot of photos from me and my wife's cell phones using Qfile. I also will have two more user accounts for family members. I would like to have each user have access to their own photos from their own phone but I want each user have access to the family photos through Qumagie. My question is should I just create each individual a share folder or should they use the home folders? Yes I know part question should go in the Qumagie post.
kmaultsby18
Starting out

Re: Home folders or User share folder

Post by kmaultsby18 »

Well, that is my question. In-home folders, each user gets one. My question is it better to use them or what you typed to make a shared folder with each one of their names. The reason I am asking is because of QuMagie. I noticed when I login into each user account it has the QuMagie icon. For example from my wife's cell phone if she login into QuMagie she will have to option to pull up just the photos she took from her phone or to a family share photos where she can see all the family photos.
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Re: Home folders or User share folder

Post by Poppy »

Perhaps what you want to do is create Family Shared folder(s) and then individuals can put their private photos into their own home share.
Files in a user home directory should be restricted to that specific user.
You should create a user group to control access to shared folders. Add the correct users to the group and then give permission for that group to access the share.

For example:
Create directories for /share/Multimedia/Photos/Family; /share/multimedia/Photos/Wife, /share/multimedia/Photos/Husband and /share/homes/$username for each user.
Create groups as required (e.g. create gFamily and add Wife, Husband Son, Daughter users to that group)
/share/multimedia/Photos/husband and similar should have read/write access for husband and read access for gFamily
/share/multimedia/Photos/Family might have read/write access for husband and read access for gFamily or maybe read/write for a gParents group would be more appropriate
Leave the homes folders alone

Then Multimedia Console --> Content Management needs to be given the correct locations for each installed application
(e.g. QuMagie --> Multimedia/Photos will catch all the family available folders and Homes will index all the private files.
Each user would login to QuMagie and see all Family photos from all five locations and also their own Private files.
PhotoStation makes this more obvious by putting the private files under "Private Collection" instead of mixing the two sets under "All Photos" by default.

Note that any user assigned as an administrator has access to private files for all users and therefore all user's private photos might be displayed for such a user (and QMagie seems to display private files by default so be careful if you login to show someone a picture!)
For security you should have an husband_admin account in order to do administrative things and use the husband account to do normal day-to-day activities.

Note that if you want to use the QNAP for more than photos then you might want to use /share/family/photos ; /share/family/videos ; share/family/excel etc etc
You still control access as above (put people in groups; files in folders; groups have permissions to folders; multimedia console is told where to look for photos/videos etc)

Return to “File Sharing”