Very poor performance: "privRequest.cgi" eating resources

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
_hendrik
Starting out

Very poor performance: "privRequest.cgi" eating resources

Post by _hendrik »

Hey guys,

I'm not sure whether this is the right sub-forum to ask, but I would like to find out something more about the "privRequest.cgi".

I noticed that the NAS was at its limits (CPU at >75%, load >10); but I was just doing an rsync job (which performed only at like 1MByte/s from external USB disk!).

I investigated and found three "privRequest.cgi" processes, eating up CPU (and possibly I/O!). I looked and saw these were related to an http service (admin console?). Looking a little further, I found out (looking at the /proc entry of these processes) that they were obviously crawling one of my USB disks (where an old TimeMachine backup with *LOTS* of small files was on).

Why the heck does it crawl my files? Is there an index being built? For what purpose? How can I control this?

=> I killed the processes and the load went back to normal (and my other rsync process made 12MB/s again)...

Who knows more about this?

Thanks!
-Hendrik

PS: I'm on a TS-219P+ with fw 3.4.4
praschlhj
Starting out

Re: Very poor performance: "privRequest.cgi" eating resource

Post by praschlhj »

Same Problem here, i have a 859U RP+ and a lot of this "privRequest.cgi " processes are running and consuming CPU.

I update to 3.4.4 and since the reboot i see this processes ...
gwideman
Starting out

Re: Very poor performance: "privRequest.cgi" eating resources

Post by gwideman »

Bumping this thread because I too want to know what privRequest.cgi is also. I see 6 such processes running, scanning both the internal RAID and external USB drive as far as I can see. Why does a cgi task need to do that?
gewoldi
New here

Post by gewoldi »

Same Problem here on TS-670. A few minutes after the pricRequest.cgi shows up, the NAS ist shutting down with the message that swap usage is too high (202,41MB)

[~] # free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1860536 1400552 459984 260072 23440 749864
-/+ buffers/cache: 627248 1233288
Swap: 17307320 0 17307320
[~] #

Here swap is shown with 16GB! Why should 200MB be too much?

Can anyone help? What is privRequest.cgi? What is the sh -c /bin/wget-s ... (see picture) is trying to do?

Thanks for any help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

best to get in touch with customer support via ticket
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

gewoldi wrote:..., the NAS ist shutting down with the message that swap usage is too high (202,41MB)
This is a faux indication of the Ressource Manager App - only testing the first swap space enabled - and the Resource Manager does nit shut-down the NAS.

Return to “File Sharing”