Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT router

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
User avatar
qunappo
Starting out
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:11 am

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT rout

Post by qunappo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:51 am

I want to switch on my qnap ts-219p+ over internet
I created dyndns account, then the hostname
then I setup the dns on my router netgear dgn3500
and now what other?
which port forward and how to do it?
my 8080 port is setted in upnp menu for mycloudnas service
thanks

edit : i see this error
403 Forbidden
403 Forbidden.
and a certificat error

other question:
if i use mycloudnas service and I try to connect form inside my lan I see
this xml error:

Code: Select all

- <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema" xmlns:ifx="urn:dsl_api">
- <SOAP-ENV:Body>
- <SOAP-ENV:Fault SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
  <faultcode>SOAP-ENV:Client</faultcode>
  <faultstring>HTTP GET method not implemented</faultstring>
  </SOAP-ENV:Fault>
  </SOAP-ENV:Body>
  </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>


or

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> 
- <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema" xmlns:ifx="urn:dsl_api">
- <SOAP-ENV:Body>
- <SOAP-ENV:Fault SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
  <faultcode>SOAP-ENV:Server</faultcode>
  <faultstring>Timeout</faultstring>
  <SOAP-ENV:Detail>accept failed in soap_accept()</SOAP-ENV:Detail>
  </SOAP-ENV:Fault>
  </SOAP-ENV:Body>
  </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>


From outside the lan I can access to my cloudnas
which difference between mycloudnas and dyndns ? thanks!

The American
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT rout

Post by The American » Thu May 19, 2011 2:31 pm

qunappo wrote:I want to switch on my qnap ts-219p+ over internet
I created dyndns account, then the hostname
then I setup the dns on my router netgear dgn3500
and now what other?
which port forward and how to do it?
my 8080 port is setted in upnp menu for mycloudnas service
thanks


I have a similar setup, but neither MyCloudNAS nor DDNS works.
My network setup: internet -> Netgear DG834G modem -> LAN cable -> Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router -> LAN cable -> QNAP TS-219P+
The QNAP has automatically configured my Netgear WNDR3700 and I did forward the 80 and 8080 ports in the Netgear DG834G modem, but I cannot access the NAS from the internet.
Do I need to change any other setting in the DG834G modem to make it work?
QNAP TS-219P+ with 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green HDD and 1x Hitachi 2TB HDD-- LAN cable -- Netgear WNDR3700 router -- LAN cable -- WDTV Live Media Player -- HDMI cable -- Sony LCD

User avatar
schumaku
Guru
Posts: 43673
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Kloten (Zurich), Switzerland -- Skype: schumaku
Contact:

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT rout

Post by schumaku » Thu May 19, 2011 11:47 pm

The American wrote:The QNAP has automatically configured my Netgear WNDR3700 and I did forward the 80 and 8080 ports in the Netgear DG834G modem, but I cannot access the NAS from the internet.
Do I need to change any other setting in the DG834G modem to make it work?


Are both the Netgear DG834G and the WNDR3700 set-up as NAT devices and routers? This kind of set-up is depreciated, as it's creating a lot of issues. Theoretically, double NAT can be done, but requires some amount of manual configuration. Please post details (IP addrsses and subnets on both LAN and networking devices).

The correct approach in such a set-up would be the DG834G really configuring as a pure modem (no IP address, just a plain DSL-modem - I don't know if this is possible with this device), and terminating the ADSL (PPPoE, PPPoA, PPTP, ... depending on your DSL ISP) in the router.

The American
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT rout

Post by The American » Fri May 20, 2011 8:12 am

schumaku wrote:
The American wrote:The QNAP has automatically configured my Netgear WNDR3700 and I did forward the 80 and 8080 ports in the Netgear DG834G modem, but I cannot access the NAS from the internet.
Do I need to change any other setting in the DG834G modem to make it work?


Are both the Netgear DG834G and the WNDR3700 set-up as NAT devices and routers? This kind of set-up is depreciated, as it's creating a lot of issues. Theoretically, double NAT can be done, but requires some amount of manual configuration. Please post details (IP addrsses and subnets on both LAN and networking devices).

The correct approach in such a set-up would be the DG834G really configuring as a pure modem (no IP address, just a plain DSL-modem - I don't know if this is possible with this device), and terminating the ADSL (PPPoE, PPPoA, PPTP, ... depending on your DSL ISP) in the router.


I think this is the problem, I already changed it to bridge mode and will try to set up DDNS today again. It should work. I let you know. Thanks for your advice.
QNAP TS-219P+ with 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green HDD and 1x Hitachi 2TB HDD-- LAN cable -- Netgear WNDR3700 router -- LAN cable -- WDTV Live Media Player -- HDMI cable -- Sony LCD

The American
Starting out
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT rout

Post by The American » Fri May 20, 2011 12:48 pm

It works now!!

Word of advice to everybody: change the default 8080 port number to something above the 50000 range. Change also the web server default 80 port number to something above the 50000 range and port forward these in the router to the NAS IP address.

For some unknown reason port 8080 and 80 didnt work in my Netgear router, not even when I forwarded those correctly. So change it to something unique (between 50000 and 65000) and it should work.

Dont forget to put the whole address into the web browser if you are using the IP address or you are using any DDNS name, for example: http://128.156.344.44:50000 or http://xxx.no-ip.org:50000

I can remotely access the NAS main page and through there I can access the Administration, Web Server, Multimedia Station and Download Station submenus. Works like a charm!
QNAP TS-219P+ with 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green HDD and 1x Hitachi 2TB HDD-- LAN cable -- Netgear WNDR3700 router -- LAN cable -- WDTV Live Media Player -- HDMI cable -- Sony LCD

User avatar
schumaku
Guru
Posts: 43673
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Kloten (Zurich), Switzerland -- Skype: schumaku
Contact:

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT rout

Post by schumaku » Sat May 21, 2011 3:27 am

The American wrote:For some unknown reason port 8080 and 80 didnt work in my Netgear router, not even when I forwarded those correctly.
Ther are just two key reasons:

a) the ISP is blocking remote access to well-known Web ports like 80/TCP and 8080/TCP. Popular example is Comcast.
b) the router is making use of these port(s) for it's own remote administration.

Using non-standard ports can limiting the usability, especially of the Web server: Many corporate security policies only allow http on 80 (plus sometimes a few, like 8080, 8081) and 443 (plus sometimes very fw others) for https.

Galoptic
First post
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT rout

Post by Galoptic » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi
I have a TS-412 and am trying to setup DDNS when I go to Administration - Network - DDNS tab the system gives message loading data ,please wait I have left it for a couple of hours it is stopping me from configuring DDNS any ideas what the cause is.

User avatar
schumaku
Guru
Posts: 43673
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Kloten (Zurich), Switzerland -- Skype: schumaku
Contact:

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT rout

Post by schumaku » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Galoptic wrote:Hi
I have a TS-412 and am trying to setup DDNS when I go to Administration - Network - DDNS tab the system gives message loading data ,please wait I have left it for a couple of hours it is stopping me from configuring DDNS any ideas what the cause is.
Mighth be an inconsitent firmware installation for example.

Please do the manual update from the Linux shell. Login on the NAS by SSH from your computer (Windows: puTTY, OS X Terminal app: $ ssh admin@[NAS-IP-address]) using the admin credentials. Then you can enter the commands (the [~] shows just the currecnt directory, the # is the prompt.

The update process shown here http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Manually_Updating_Firmware - just the 1-2-3 should be enough.

In case the update stucks somewhere, please post the transcript (copy paste the text from the terminal).

Your NAS is set-up for the acive interface to be used as th default gateway (Network config page, scroll down..) and able to reach the Internet over the router?

Post Reply

Return to “File Sharing”