Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT router

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
ashrob
New here

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT router

Post by ashrob »

Hi there,

I'm trying to connect to my TS209II via the web and DYNDNS and am having problems.

I have taken all the steps below -
Check your current WAN address:
http://www.ip-lookup.net/
In most of the cases, it is useful for you to know your public IP address when you are behind a NAT router.

Check if DDNS feedback the same IP address with your WAN IP
Use ping command to check your registered address of dynamic DNS:
Start menu --> Run --> cmd
ping xxx.dyndns.org

If both IP addresses are the same, you then need to forward the related ports on your NAT router to the LAN IP of TS-109.
ex: 8080 for management, 21 for FTP, ...
I can ping the address ashrob.dyndns.org from my pc and it shows my external ip in the cmd window. I have also forwarded the ports 8080 and 8000 (Web Server) on my router as you can see from my screen capture below -

I can't connect from my pc using the address http://ashnikkihome.dyndns.org:8000/ or from outside my LAN either. I'm guessing that the port is set incorrectly but I don't know how as it is forwarded to my NAS. I'd really appreciate a little help with this. :)
QNAPAlan
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPAlan »

Hi ashrob,
I think you use the wrong setting page.
You should setup your NAT router to forward port 8080/8000 to the PRIVATE IP address of the NAS.
The setup page is generally called virtual server or port forwarding.
Maybe you can find the option on Advanced Settings.
ashrob
New here

Post by ashrob »

Hi Alan,

The private IP address of my router is 192.168.1.64 and the applications that are concerned with the TS209 are all forwarded to it, as you can see from the attached image. The previous image is from the 'view details' page,which is reached via the button shown in the image below.

SKYNETnas
New here

Post by SKYNETnas »

I have exactly the same problem here. How can it be that so many people have a problem with this. Is this rocket science?

I hope someone has the solution for us.
Already thx
enginebread
First post

Post by enginebread »

There must be something wrong with the ddns design in these qnap devices. I have used ddns services for years without problems. Just tried no-ip on a SS-439 Pro and it just fails to update every time. I know without a doubt that it is not the router as it is used all the time for that purpose. I could connect another device to the same router and just forward the port and it works. We use netopia routers and anyone knows them will know it very very simple to setup.
Too many people are complaining about this issue. Qnap, you need to address this problem.
I am advertising qnap appliances to customers but this problem needs to be addressed very quickly.

Thanks
kanchelsis
Starting out

Post by kanchelsis »

Ashrob,

Your screen-shot is of the router's firewall to allow the traffic to pass to your NAS. You also need to configure the router's Port Forwarding to forward the traffic to your NAS. They are not the same.

It's like configuring your P2P application to connect to the internet, and then configuring your PC firewall to allow/trust the P2P application to connect to the internet.

Like QNAPAlan explained, the router's Port Forwarding page is normally located under Advanced Settings or something similar. You will see 'Port Forward' or 'Port Forwarding' on the page, NOT 'Firewall'.
NAS: TS-439 Pro, 4x7k1000.B.
WD**EADS is not stable for all revisions!
paulika
New here

Post by paulika »

mrgarfin wrote:Ivan,

Thank you. I have fixed the problem. It was not that I had made a mistake in forwarding the port, but that I had not filled in the fields for the primary and secondary DNS servers (in the TCP/IP configuration page of the NAS setup), and my laptop at home was turned off, when I was trying to access the web server.

Thanks again for your help.

Michelle

Hello Michelle,

Just a quick question....what address did you use as primary and secondary DNS server?
krizal78
New here

Re: Configure DDNS and forward the service ports on NAT rout

Post by krizal78 »

Hi there:
I also have the same problem on accessing the Web File Manager thru internet, the FTP works superbly.

My configuration is:
Internet --> ADSL Modem (Dlink) [192.168.1.1] --> Wireless Router (Linksys WRT610N) [192.168.0.1] --> PC (Win7) [192.168.0.100], Laptop (Win7) [192.168.0.101], Laptop (Mac) [192.168.0.102], PS3 [DHCP], QNAP TS-210 [192.168.0.149]. I set all with DHCP reservation except for PS3.
- I've tested with different configuration on the Ports for WFM management, and I change it to 7000 instead of 8080 or 80.
- i've found that with other port that 8080 or 80, the WFM can be accessed via WAN.

I've setup the DDNS on NAS, as well as the Router (Is it right doing this)?
My problem is quite similar with other, when I try to reach the NAS from WAN, the one that shows on the browser is... the Router configuration page., I've done everything including the port forwarding to the QNAP NAS - port 80 for both TCP/UDP, but still no luck.
I can't thing of anything else because the FTP can be reach using DDNS on port 21.

May I ask some help from the same ppl who use the same configuration as mine, or maybe somebody can do more detail checklist for us who are not IT expert.
- the conclusion is, I can now access the Web File Manager, Web Server, FTP thru WAN. the only thing that a little bit tricky is on the Port Forwarding setup on the router, and port no. configuration for WFM.
Thanks in advance.
*Font in Blue means updated section after changes made to the setting.
JordanRHughes
New here

Post by JordanRHughes »

Perfect. This help greatly.

Cheers.
xandrew
Starting out

Post by xandrew »

Let me ask something what might have been already answered somewhere at the forum.
What's the purpose of QNAP DDNS service in case it's behind a router.
Router needs to be setup to translate the request to the respective port of its IP to a device in the network (in this case let's say port 80 to ip of QNAP for webserver).
esperlu
Starting out

Post by esperlu »

xandrew wrote:Let me ask something what might have been already answered somewhere at the forum.
What's the purpose of QNAP DDNS service in case it's behind a router.
Router needs to be setup to translate the request to the respective port of its IP to a device in the network (in this case let's say port 80 to ip of QNAP for webserver).
Its purpose is to update the Wan IP into the dyndns service and from there to propagate that new ip-domain to the real world dns servers. Period.

As you say, its is not the NAS that will force the router to open its firewall for the incoming traffic trying to reach the NAS. Depending on the router GUI that incoming traffic has to be prerouted AND forwarded to the NAS. In typical iptables language, if you want to reach the NAS on its *internal* web port 8080 from the outside on your dyn IP port (i.e. 888) you will need (1) a prerouting rule in the NAT table *and* (2) a forward rule in the FORWARD chain (INPUT table).

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 888 -j DNAT --to-destination <INTERNAL_NAS_IP>:8080
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp -d <INTERNAL_NAS_IP> --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT

With such a configuration on the router's firewall one should be able to reach the Qnap GUI with this url: http://your-domain.dyndns.org:888
xandrew
Starting out

Post by xandrew »

esperlu wrote: Its purpose is to update the Wan IP into the dyndns service and from there to propagate that new ip-domain to the real world dns servers. Period.
OK, than the router has to translate the IP from outside into the local network and NAS has the function to update the setting (dynamic IP address) of the DynDNS in case the router cannot do that. But I believe that the most of the routers already have such a functionality as a standard feature.
Let me say it in other words, if router can do that, the function at the NAS is not useful.
internetimm689
New here

Post by internetimm689 »

Thank you for the feedback
Revosys Inc. is a United States based manufacturer.Please contact us directly for distributor and re-seller opportunities forvga touch screen and open frame touch screen. For more info visit revo-sys.com.
Amoebia
Easy as a breeze

Post by Amoebia »

I am facing a similar problem as outlined here on a 459 and 509 when I am trying to activate DDNS on the NAS the
error message - DDNS server internal error, please contact your DDNS technical support shows up and disabables DDNS right away.

What I would like to do is being able to access my Router and the NAS from Remote.
The Router is already registerd on DynDNS and is broadcasting any new external IP. I can access that Router from remote without any problem using the defined DynDNS hostname.

However, I would like to get access to the NAS Admin Page too which is port 8080 by default. So I have created a port forward on the router
to the NAS Router 8000 to NAS 8080.
The NAS uses a static local LAN address and manual DSN entries pointing to the default gateway of the LAN.

When I am trying to access the NAS service page http://myhost.com:8000 I get a Bad Request 502 cannot resolve http://myhost.com
Following the topics discussed here I though perhaps I need to configure DDNS to make it work and defined another hostname for the NAS on DynDns
using the same external IP address. However, when I tried to enter those information into the DDNS section of the NAS I got the above
error message.

So my questions
1. Do I need a 2nd DynDNS entry for the NAS or is it sufficient to have one on the Router if port forwarding is used?
2. If I do not need another DNS entry... any thoughts why I am constantly getting a 502 Bad Request error?
3. Any other suggestions to make a scenario as mentioned above work?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 * Seagate 3TB - Raid-10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amoebia
Easy as a breeze

Post by Amoebia »

Problem solved DDNS server internal error, please contact your DDNS technical support http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 71#p178471
4 * Seagate 3TB - Raid-10

Return to “Miscellaneous”