Unrar within the NAS

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
jesper1889
Starting out
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:56 am

Unrar within the NAS

Post by jesper1889 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:48 pm

I'm a satisfied NAS 109 owner and as a new user there was a few things I had to learn before I could use the NAS I wanted to. Here is a simple guide to unrar within the NAS.
I'm not so good at english and as a systemdeveloper (computer geek :)) some things maybe be explained better. Please tell me, and I will update this little guide.

Download:
unrar from http://www.rarlab.com/rar/unrar-arm.tar.bz2
WinSCP from http://winscp.net/eng/download.php
Putty from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html

Installation:
- Install WinSCP
- Install Putty
- Unpack unrar
- Upload unrar to /usr/bin folder on the NAS with WinSCP (Connect with SFTP and have 'Allow SCP fallback' checked).

Usage:
Log on to the NAS with Putty by typing hostname or IP
Supply with username and press ENTER
Supply with password and press ENTER.
Go to the folder where the rar file/files by use \cd to go back in the folders and cd /share/Qdownload to go to the download folder
Type 'unrar e rar-file-name' without the "'" around
The file will be in the same folder as the rar-file-name

Exit Putty by typing 'exit' and press ENTER.

Notice that logged in as a administrator you can mess your NAS up if you are'nt carefull!
I'm not any Linux expert, but "know my way around", so I take no responsibility if you mess up youre NAS!

Done!
Last edited by jesper1889 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. TS-109 (not pro)
2. 2.1.4 Build 0318T
3. Ubuntu 9.10
4. Swedish
5. 1
6. Seagate Barracuda ES 2
7. 465.76 GB
8. None
9. Download Station,Microsoft Networking,Web File Manager,FTP Service
10. USB Printer: Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 3820
11. 100 Mbps, MTU: 1500 Bytes

fonzy35
Starting out
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by fonzy35 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:09 pm

jesper1889 wrote:I'm a satisfied NAS 109 owner and as a new user there was a few things I had to learn before I could use the NAS I wanted to. Here is a simple guide to unrar within the NAS.
I'm not so good at english and as a systemdeveloper (computer geek :)) some things maybe be explained better. Please tell me, and I will update this little guide.

Download:unrar from http://www.rarlab.com/rar/unrar-arm.tar.bz2
WinSCP from http://winscp.net/eng/download.php
Putty from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html

Installation:
- Install WinSCP
- Install Putty
- Unpack unrar
- Upload unrar to /usr/bin folder on the NAS with WinSCP (Connect with SFTP and have 'Allow SCP fallback' checked).

Usage:
Log on to the NAS with Putty by typing hostname or IP
Supply with username and press ENTER
Supply with password and press ENTER.
Go to the folder where the rar file/files by use \cd to go back in the folders and cd /share/Qdownload to go to the download folder
Type 'unrar e rar-file-name' without the "'" around
The file will be in the same folder as the rar-file-name

Exit Putty by typing 'exit' and press ENTER.

Notice that logged in as a administrator you can mess your NAS up if you are'nt carefull!
I'm not any Linux expert, but "know my way around", so I take no responsibility if you mess up youre NAS!

Done!


yup it work with putty. i did a unrar a file of 52 piece rar
total after unrar 700.8MB movie file in 26 minute with cpu from 12% - 42% running(for the unrar prgram)...plus i had download station running with 3 torrent downloading at the same time

on the TS-109 (500Mhz processor)

:D

User avatar
p2b
Starting out
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:45 pm

unrar multiple files at once

Post by p2b » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:07 pm

1.0 Model name - TS-101

1.1 Firmware version - (Version 2.2.1 Build 0108T) Twonky crash fixed!
1.2 HDD model - Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 (HDT725050VLA360) 500GB
> idle: 46C° // load: 52C°
1.3 RAID configuration - NO
1.4 Services enabled - smb, ftp, Qdownload, Apache, MySQL, Backup
1.5 External devices - 2,5" ChiliGreen 120GB
1.6 Additional SW - > Optware / MLDonkey / Torrentflux / smartctl / rar 3.6 / Perl v5.8.8 / MySQL v4.0.21 / Httpd v2.2.4 / Apache 1.3.37 / PHP 5.2.1

2.0 Operation System (OS) - XP pro sp2 \\ nbsd 5.1
3.0 Router - Linksys WRT54GL running DD-Wert
4.0 Canon IP4300

User avatar
silas
Moderator
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:59 am
Location: Poland
Contact:

Post by silas » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:57 pm

hmmm
little bit strange
i didn't install that unrar
i was installing unrar through ipkg/optware
how it works? dunno
but I was unraring 8,7gb HD movie
this takes a few minutes... maybe 6-8min
but ofcourse torrents was not working :)

User avatar
p2b
Starting out
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Post by p2b » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:30 pm

hi silas!

like you have discovered in our irc discussion that
find /share/Qdownloads/ -name "*.rar" -print | xargs unrar e

needs a filename without spaces.


i was not satisfied with this conclusion so i tried a work around

for f in `find /share/Qdownloads/ -name "*.rar"` ; do unrar e $f ; done


should do the job! can someone try this and give me feedback?


cheers
1.0 Model name - TS-101

1.1 Firmware version - (Version 2.2.1 Build 0108T) Twonky crash fixed!
1.2 HDD model - Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 (HDT725050VLA360) 500GB
> idle: 46C° // load: 52C°
1.3 RAID configuration - NO
1.4 Services enabled - smb, ftp, Qdownload, Apache, MySQL, Backup
1.5 External devices - 2,5" ChiliGreen 120GB
1.6 Additional SW - > Optware / MLDonkey / Torrentflux / smartctl / rar 3.6 / Perl v5.8.8 / MySQL v4.0.21 / Httpd v2.2.4 / Apache 1.3.37 / PHP 5.2.1

2.0 Operation System (OS) - XP pro sp2 \\ nbsd 5.1
3.0 Router - Linksys WRT54GL running DD-Wert
4.0 Canon IP4300

julius3000
Starting out
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:25 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by julius3000 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:51 am

Hmz, sounds interesting. Gonna try this out soon!
Using a Qnap TS-109 Turbo Station (firmware version 1.1.4 build 1207T) with a Samsung Spinpoint F1 750 GB hdd

aalbert
Starting out
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 10:33 am

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by aalbert » Mon May 26, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi,
Nice and easy instructions - thanks. Got it to work up to the point that I found the rar file I wanted to unpack has a password. I know the password but am not a putty expert, any idea what command I use?

baniels
Getting the hang of things
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:03 am

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by baniels » Thu May 29, 2008 10:29 pm

I am wondering if there is a way to setup a batch unrar process given these circumstances:

I have many files to unrar

Each unrar job has multiple files (***.part01.rar, ***.part02.rar, etc)

Each job has a different password.

Is there any way to assign a password for each one in advance of the unrarring so that it can do them all without having to ask for password?
TS-209 Pro

Diquito
Starting out
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by Diquito » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi all...
I tried the ipgkg unrar but that didn't work.
Everytime i tried to unrar something I got the parameter information text.
But downloading the unrar from the link in this post and putting the file in the correct folder.. for me it is /share/MD0_DATA/optware/opt/bin/unrar worked perfectly.:)

Thank for the post.
TS - 439 Pro II ---> 4 WD WD4001FAEX X 4TB Firmware QTS 4.2.3
TS - 469 L ---> 4 WD WD4001FAEX X 4TB Firmware QTS 4.2.3

jaeger07
First post
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by jaeger07 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:38 am

Hi everyone!

Anyone knows whether it's possible to add the unrar function to the Custom commands in WinSCP?

Robinson Crusoe
First post
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by Robinson Crusoe » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:44 am

Sorry for a semi offtopic question: Qnap web gui doesn't include an unrar function? This is a surprise because Synology has it (can even handle multiple archives and choose to which folder to extract). Does Qnap have this function on the rodmap?

Ghostwriter
New here
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by Ghostwriter » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 pm

does qnap now have this function...?

young_einstein
Starting out
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by young_einstein » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:05 am

Ghostwriter wrote:does qnap now have this function...?


Yes ... you can extract files through the web file manager.

Just right click on the RAR file and select extract.

houdini1er
Starting out
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by houdini1er » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:19 pm

young_einstein wrote:
Ghostwriter wrote:does qnap now have this function...?


Yes ... you can extract files through the web file manager.

Just right click on the RAR file and select extract.

I can find any option on right click within the web file manager ????
i have a Qnap 209 Pro Version 3.1.0 build 0708T
QNAP 269 PRO 2X SATA WD 2 To RAID
3 Go RAM
Backup en Rsync : D-Link DNS-320L
Firmware : 4.1.3 (2015/02/17)

User avatar
sl1000
Experience counts
Posts: 3512
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Unrar within the NAS

Post by sl1000 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:29 am

upgrade to V 3.2.0 and it will :)
Try searching the perfect online manual, forum or the Wiki for answers before posting
### Retired developer ###

Post Reply

Return to “File Sharing”