Geovision IP camera support

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
ellisina4
Starting out

Geovision IP camera support

Post by ellisina4 »

Hello all,
I am new to this forum as I just purchased TS-451+ in order to use it as a surveillance recorder for my Geovision Cameras. I did not bother to check camera compatibility before purchasing... My bad, but I can return it to Amazon. The Geovision cameras I have are GV-EBL2101 (2MP 1920x1536) and GV-EBL3101 (3MP, 2048x1536). I was able to connect them in Surveillance station using another type of Geovision camera that is supported, however, under camera overview, I can see the live image but under status, it states "connecting" and recording status states "Not Recording". I tried every Geovision camera setting that are supported by QNAP surveillance station and none of them work. I submitted request to QNAP to test support of my cameras to include them in Surveillance station.
Here are my questions:
1. How long do you think it may take for QNAP to release support for my cameras since I sent a request?
2. If it takes too long, am I better of switching to a different NAS (as of right now Synology does not support these cameras either and I would hate to sell them as I spent a lot of $$ on these)
3. I can use QNAP as a recording device and get another software to record (currently I have Luxriot VMS and that version is being phased out by LuxRiot Evo that requires another $500-600 investment).
4. Any suggestions on a good but budget type recording software that has a good support via iPhone app.

Thank you for your advice
Two TS-451+
QTS Version 4.3.6.0805 Build 2018/12/28
Four WD Red 4TB in RAID 6 - Single Static Volume
NAS backup to WD 4TB External USB drive
Tripp Lite SMART750SLT
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: Geovision IP camera support

Post by AlastairStevenson »

If the cameras are in any way supportive of de-facto standards you will be able to get them connected as an ONVIF model, or Generic RTSP.
If the camera documentatiion isn't helpful, check them out with the very good Windows tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Provide it with logon credentials (top left of the window) and it will tell you lots about the camera. Or nothing if they are not ONVIF compliant.
ONVIF port in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.
RTSP URL at the bottom of the Live Video page.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
ellisina4
Starting out

Post by ellisina4 »

Thank you so much. All is working now via ONVIF setup. You really bailed me out...
Believe it or not, I have a couple of follow up questions:
1. does QNAP surveillance station have a limit of simultaneous connections via Vmobile app? Meaning, can more than one person connect and view cameras at the same time?
2. Is there any reason not to purchase QNAP surveillance licenses other than from QNAP? It is $60 per additional camera (my QNAP came with 2)
3. Does QNAP surveillance station software has ability to record based on motion detection only and is there a way to select areas to be excluded (like trees outside my house that constantly would trigger recording)?
Any other points or suggestions on where to learn more about QNAP surveillance station and any other options of QNAP OS would be also welcomed.

Thank you, again, for your help.
Two TS-451+
Tripp Lite SMART750SLT
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Glad you got it working!
Is there any reason not to purchase QNAP surveillance licenses other than from QNAP?
That depends on whether the sale is a scam or genuine, and how much of a potential saving, or loss there would be. In other words - I don't know, sorry.
. Does QNAP surveillance station software has ability to record based on motion detection only and is there a way to select areas to be excluded (like trees outside my house that constantly would trigger recording)?
Yes, if the connected model is ONVIF ProfileS and if the Geovision cameras are able to generate ONVIF Events. You can see if they do under the 'Events' page in ONVIF Device Manager.
SS will take recording actions based on motion event notifications as configured under 'Event Management'.
You can turn off scheduled recording in the schedule settings under Camera Management.
If the Geovision cameras are like other cameras with motion detection capabilities - you should be able to set up the required detection area in the camera web GUI.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
ellisina4
Starting out

Post by ellisina4 »

Thank you so much for your guidance, again.
Purchased licenses from QNAP and all cameras are working with motion events...
I had to rebuild my RAID as I configured it originally as RAID 0 for all 4 drives. My reasoning was this RAID choice (something that most of the people here would not approve) was that if data is lost due to hard drive failure, not a big deal for me (This QNAP is used just for just surveillance recordings and I use other RAID device to back up sensitive data). However, what I learned a few days later is that if I decide to swap any of the hard drives, I would have to rebuild the whole RAID, starting from scratch. I searched on this forum and learned that I can back up System Settings in Control Panel, which I did to the external USB.
Here are my questions:
1. After rebuilding RAID 1, when I click to restore, it only shows me locations on QTV, root and file system… I feel stupid as I am computer savvy when it comes to windows OS. How can I navigate to the external drive?
2. The RAID 1 I created includes only first 2 drives in Bay 1 and 2. When I add drives into Bay 3 and 4, can I create a second RAID 1, separate from the first one?
3. A general question, does QNAP work similar to windows OS where OS files stored on hard drive or these are stored somewhere else, i.e. flash or RAM?
Thank you again for your time and help. Really appreciate it.
Two TS-451+
Tripp Lite SMART750SLT
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

2. The RAID 1 I created includes only first 2 drives in Bay 1 and 2. When I add drives into Bay 3 and 4, can I create a second RAID 1, separate from the first one?
You could - but you could also consider migrating to RAID5 with either 3 or 4 discs total to give a total volume of 2x or 3x a single disc and survive the loss of a single disc, or RAID6 with 4 drives to give a total volume of 2x a single disc, which would survive the loss of 2 discs.
RAID6 is recommended with today's 3 or 4TB HDDs due to the probability of hitting an uncorrectable error during a full rebuild.
The benefit of a single RAID array is the flexibility you get from not fragmenting the storage, though storage pools mitigate that to some extent.
A general question, does QNAP work similar to windows OS where OS files stored on hard drive or these are stored somewhere else, i.e. flash or RAM?
OS files are stored in flash for early booting, on HDD for full booting, and in RAM for execution and running.

And I don't know the answer to the question about restoring the config from an external USB drive, sorry, I've never used an external USB drive on the NAS.
ellisina4
Starting out

Post by ellisina4 »

Alastair, Thank you much for your answers and advice.
I do have one follow up question, with a complete understanding of different RAID levels and already having backed up all sensitive data on a separate system, including offsite.
The whole purpose of my QNAP is to have a small factor expandable network storage that can be hidden around my house (in case of burglary) while it mainly works as a surveillance station and its storage. Again, I have 2x1TB drives in RAID1 in Bay 1 and 2. This way if one of these drives fails I can replace it without starting from scratch. Now I need the actual storage for Surveillance station and planning to add 2x4TB drives in RAID 0 into bays 3 and 4 to maximize storage space. Again, if that data is lost due to hard drive failure, not a problem to me.
My main question is:
1. if either or both drives in my second RAID (bay 3,4) fail, will I only have to rebuild this particular RAID without having to rebuild the whole QNAP with it software and settings, ( like I would have to if one of the drives in original 4 bay RAID 0 would fail). Hope my question makes sense.
2. Also, what do you use to play back q264 video recordings on Windows OS? I tried and the only way to play them was with one of the VLC nightly builds (not the officially released version). I wanted to use VLC as it has a good zoom in function for the videos.
Than you, again.
AlastairStevenson wrote:
You could - but you could also consider migrating to RAID5 with either 3 or 4 discs total to give a total volume of 2x or 3x a single disc and survive the loss of a single disc, or RAID6 with 4 drives to give a total volume of 2x a single disc, which would survive the loss of 2 discs.
RAID6 is recommended with today's 3 or 4TB HDDs due to the probability of hitting an uncorrectable error during a full rebuild.
The benefit of a single RAID array is the flexibility you get from not fragmenting the storage, though storage pools mitigate that to some extent.
A general question, does QNAP work similar to windows OS where OS files stored on hard drive or these are stored somewhere else, i.e. flash or RAM?
OS files are stored in flash for early booting, on HDD for full booting, and in RAM for execution and running.

And I don't know the answer to the question about restoring the config from an external USB drive, sorry, I've never used an external USB drive on the NAS.
Two TS-451+
Tripp Lite SMART750SLT
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

if either or both drives in my second RAID (bay 3,4) fail, will I only have to rebuild this particular RAID without having to rebuild the whole QNAP with it software and settings, ( like I would have to if one of the drives in original 4 bay RAID 0 would fail). Hope my question makes sense.
Presumably they have not been added to the main storage pool initially provided by the RAID1 set?
As it's a RAID0, I believe you'd just have to replace the drive without affecting the primary RAID1 which has the system and apps on it.
Also, what do you use to play back q264 video recordings on Windows OS?
You should find that Windows Media Player will play these, after the QVRmon program has been installed.
It's time QNAP changed this pointless and irritating and unnecessary customisation of the h.264 headers. They have promised to do so, but I've seen nothing yet.
ellisina4
Starting out

Post by ellisina4 »

Alastair,
Thank you, again for your continuing help.
Could you please help me with 2 questions:
1. I will be rebuilding my 4 4TB RAID5 to 4 4TB RAID6. I purchased additional camera licenses from QNAP. I will deactivate them in the surveillance station software before re-configuring RAID. Do you know how easy it is to activate them afterwards? Can I re-use the original activation password/key? I am just trying to prevent any downtime with camera recordings. I did not want to bother you and sent a message to the QNAP tech as well as to licenses support email but did not get a response.
2. I also installed a TS-451+ in my parent's house (I configured it right the first time with 4 4TB RAID6). The issue I am having is with Vmobile app. when connecting to my NAS from my iPhone, I can view live view for each individual camera as well as 6 at a time (when selecting 6 channels view). Using the same iPhone and connecting to parent's NAS, I can see live view of each individual camera but in milti-channel view it keep saying "connecting... This happens no matter if I am on their WiFi or on LTE.
Thank you for your help.
Two TS-451+
Tripp Lite SMART750SLT
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

sent a message to the QNAP tech as well as to licenses support email but did not get a response.
When I did a licence transfer, quite a while back now, I never got a response from the 'official' route either.
I got a good response from the normal HelpDesk though.
The issue I am having is with Vmobile app.
Sorry - I can't help you there, I've never used Vmobile.
ellisina4
Starting out

Post by ellisina4 »

Thank u for your response. I just received an email from qnap stating that I should NOT deactivate the licenses. Just reconfigure Raid and then use the original Online Activation license they sent me in the first place.
What do you use for your mobile viewing if not Vmobile? I have an iPhone.
Thank u
Two TS-451+
Tripp Lite SMART750SLT
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

What do you use for your mobile viewing if not Vmobile?
Strangely - something I hardly do. But if I do, IP Cam Viewer, Android.
ellisina4
Starting out

Post by ellisina4 »

Alastair,
Hope you are well.
Would you have any comments to add to this post?
Thank you
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=133774&p=623178#p623178
Two TS-451+
Tripp Lite SMART750SLT

Return to “Surveillance Solution”