[SOLVED] Frequent Pixelated (blocky, blotchy, green or pink squares or dropped frame) Images in QVR but not Reolink

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
RobHyde
Starting out

[SOLVED] Frequent Pixelated (blocky, blotchy, green or pink squares or dropped frame) Images in QVR but not Reolink

Post by RobHyde »

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on how to fix this issue. When I view the camera image in the Reolink App in both live view and playback it's a clear image. When I view the image in QVR Pro (Live or Playback) I see huge blocks or pixelation (partial dropped frame?). I get one of these pretty much every other second. Viewing both in Live view over the same network and device etc. I have even gone so far as to remove QVR Pro and reformat it's dedicated drive and started over.

This happens with all three cameras I have (Reolink POE RLC-820A with the latest firmware version v3.0.0.177_21012101 streaming at 3840x2160 at 25 frames per second and 8192 Kbps). The POE router has 3 Cameras each using around 15w and can handle a max of 126w. I am using CAT-8 Cables for all three and they are at a distance of less than 100ft each. Normally I would think the problem would be related to line noise, distance, power etc except for the fact that the reolink live view (over the network) does NOT have the blocks but the QVR Pro live view does.

Left is playback over Reolink App Right is Playback with QVR Pro (I see this on Live View for both as well).
QVR Pro Blocky.JPG
Thanks in advance for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RobHyde on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: Frequent Pixelated (blocky or dropped frame) Images in QVR but not Reolink

Post by AlastairStevenson »

It's most likely due to how Reolink have adulterated the i-frame implementation against the accepted standard.
Their firmware is well known for it's proprietary flavour causing problems with 3rd party solutions.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
RobHyde
Starting out

Re: Frequent Pixelated (blocky or dropped frame) Images in QVR but not Reolink

Post by RobHyde »

So sounds like no solution unless Reolink fixes with a firmware?
RobHyde
Starting out

Re: Frequent Pixelated (blocky, blotchy, green or pink squares or dropped frame) Images in QVR but not Reolink

Post by RobHyde »

I have been going back and forth with Reolink. They had me run the cameras over RTSP (https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/ar ... rce=search). Since the image was clear they said the problem is not with the cameras but with QNAP QVR Pro. So I guess I am back to square one.
RobHyde
Starting out

Re: Frequent Pixelated (blocky, blotchy, green or pink squares or dropped frame) Images in QVR but not Reolink

Post by RobHyde »

[SOLUTION]
Ok in my devastation regarding Reolinks answer I found another solution (from their website).

When I originally added the cameras I used QNAP QVR Pro >> Camera Settings >> Add Camera >> Add Manually >> Brand=Reolink; Model=RLC-820A; IP Address=<camera ip>; port=80; RTSP Port=554; .....
I had tried Generic Model and ONVIF as well to no avail. After some digging today I found why ONVIF didn't work. When you select ONVIF the port will default to 80. For ONVIF the reolink default is 8000 (see it's configuration). So set something like this.
Brand=ONVIF >> ONVIF ProfileS Cameras >> IP >> 8000 (this will most likely need to be changed) >> 554 >> 443 >> user >> Password
Then under Stream & Recording change Transport to UDP
AddCameraONVIF.jpg
AddCameraONVIF_Stream.jpg
The only downside to this method is I am no longer able to use H.265 it only allows me to choose H264.
Once I made the change above I no longer saw the pink or green pixilation / blocky / blotchy / squares.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobajob69
New here

Post by bobajob69 »

RobHyde wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:25 am [SOLUTION]
Ok in my devastation regarding Reolinks answer I found another solution (from their website).

When I originally added the cameras I used QNAP QVR Pro >> Camera Settings >> Add Camera >> Add Manually >> Brand=Reolink; Model=RLC-820A; IP Address=<camera ip>; port=80; RTSP Port=554; .....
I had tried Generic Model and ONVIF as well to no avail. After some digging today I found why ONVIF didn't work. When you select ONVIF the port will default to 80. For ONVIF the reolink default is 8000 (see it's configuration). So set something like this.
Brand=ONVIF >> ONVIF ProfileS Cameras >> IP >> 8000 (this will most likely need to be changed) >> 554 >> 443 >> user >> Password
Then under Stream & Recording change Transport to UDP

AddCameraONVIF.jpg
AddCameraONVIF_Stream.jpg

The only downside to this method is I am no longer able to use H.265 it only allows me to choose H264.
Once I made the change above I no longer saw the pink or green pixilation / blocky / blotchy / squares.
Hiya, I am having similar issues with my RLC-520A. Do you manage to get audio with UDP as i can't? I also lose person detection as every motion triggers an event...... might have to send it back....
RobHyde
Starting out

Re: [SOLVED] Frequent Pixelated (blocky, blotchy, green or pink squares or dropped frame) Images in QVR but not Reolink

Post by RobHyde »

It's funny you said that as I just realized I lost sound after I switched to UDP as well. TCP has pixelated video but sound, UDP has clear picture but no sound... pick your problem. I am in the process of sending all 3 of mine back. I purchased a Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU, PCI-T15F2SL (front door two-way audio), and an DS-2CD2087G2-L (ColorVu) and I could not be happier. They are awesome. The Hikvision cameras have so many more features and events (Motion Detection, Line Crossing, etc). Do youself a favor and return the Reolink and pay a (lot) more for the Hikvision.
bobajob69
New here

Re: [SOLVED] Frequent Pixelated (blocky, blotchy, green or pink squares or dropped frame) Images in QVR but not Reolink

Post by bobajob69 »

Thanks, luckily im within 30 days for an amazon return.... I think the 520a is potentially QNAP intergration (just tested on Surveillence atation and same issue) probably reolink blocking 3rd party somehow to make you buy their NVR. Works fine over rtsp in a browser, fine in VLC, and fine on reolink app & client.

I had near enough decided on the colour vu gen 2. Cheapest i can find is £140. Can i ask where you got yours from please?
But now you have also thrown the PCI-T15F2SL into the mix. The point of a camera in the first place was instead of a doorbell but this could fit the bill..... i have the camera right under the porch (pic attached).
Do you tink the colour view will work here or too close to the subject? i like the fact gen 2 can turn on the light when car/person is detected (after firmware update).

I will replace all my other reolinks with Hikvision if happy - after i re-mortgage.....

Thanks for the help
RobHyde
Starting out

Post by RobHyde »

It's hard to buy the Hikvision cameras as a consumer in the US. It's even harder to find one that has a built in microphone due to wire tap laws (I believe). Here is where I bought my cameras www.Bhphotovideo.com

1 x DS-2CD2087G2-L
1 x PCI-T15F2SL
2 x PCI-T18F2S + DS-2FP2020 Microphone
mchilds83
New here

Post by mchilds83 »

I have the identical problem with a Reolink RLC-520A in QVR Pro on a QNAP TS-453D. Running latest QTS NAS firmware (4.5.3.1670) as well as latest Reolink camera firmware (v3.0.0.177_21012100) as of this posting date. The Reolink RLC-520 and 522 cameras work perfectly, but so far 2 RLC-520A cameras with different ethernet patch cables have shown me this problem in QVR Pro. There is no problem whatsoever using the native Reolink software to view the stream. These cameras are on the official support list for QVR Pro, so I am hoping Qnap can sort this out, otherwise I'll have to return the cameras for another model. What a shame as I like the metal mounting bracket with the RLC-520A, however if I must, I'll replace them with RLC-520s because at least they don't glitch in QNAP software. Also, the problem is solved by switching to UDP streaming in QVR Pro, but like others, I also lose audio when I do that.
bobajob69
New here

Post by bobajob69 »

Ll

LL loll

LL lol lol lllpl I'll look k lllllllkmkk lol lol lllpl lol
Ollllllol LLP loll lol lol l lllo lolol lolll

Lol
LL

Lllkk
LL all okl

L
Loop p
Plpppp pll alllll LL

Perflll look
Lol
O
Ok l

O
L lllo

Loop

LL

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you lost it there? ..or just over/under dosed on your meds?
bobajob69
New here

Post by bobajob69 »

Lol, pocket post whilst walking the dog.....

As I'm here I'll post properly 😉

In the end I sent back to Amazon my 520a. Gave up trying and wasn't prepared to pay for something, although not very much, a half baked product.

I stumped up £140 (an extra £90) for the colourvu gen2 and it's such a step up.
Easily 3x the quality, the only issue is that QVR pro only has the Gen1 version on the camera list and using these settings it doesn't work with the Gen2.
I can get it working but only with the hikvision generic settings.
I haven't even managed to get it working with Onvif (apparently hikvision was removed from the onvif list?)
Using genetic settings doesn't give full access but at least it records with a good picture to the Nas.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I haven't even managed to get it working with Onvif (apparently hikvision was removed from the onvif list?)
Yes, Hikvision was ejected from the official ONVIFconsortium, but the ColorVu series still supports ONVIF- which they now reference as "Open Network Video Interface'.
In the camera web GUI, you need to enable it under Configuration | Network | Advanced settings | Integration Protocol.
And you need to create an ONVIF user and password.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
bobajob69
New here

Post by bobajob69 »

Yes, I enabled this and created a user name and password but qvr pro didn't detect it ☹️ presumed this was down to gen 2....

Return to “Surveillance Solution”