Complete noob question

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
crypticc
Starting out

Complete noob question

Post by crypticc »

Hello

Looking to get some cameras setup and making use of my QNAP to record.

I am by no means a noob when it becomes to technology, but cameras for some reason fox me.

If say I get HIKVision IP camera is it as simple as connecting power, ethernet IP cables (assigning fixed IP address for the MAC) and then find the IP in QVR Pro?

Sorry if this is obvious to you all but trawling last 5 to 10 pages here and there isn't a back-to-basics list.

Finally, are these camera good?
DS-2CD2087G2-L(U)
DS-2CD2387G2-L(U)

I've seen this brand mentioned in a few threads and it seems like they're favoured and the DS-2CD2087G2 is the all-dancing version that they sell. I ask that question because of recent experience with someone tampering with my car and it seems like the police aren't at all fans of the various NEST, RING cameras, etc as the quality is too low and contrast blown-out so much that it's impossible to read car number plates, clothes branding, etc. that would be needed if they wanted to be able to definitely pin-point someone as being at the location. So I wouldn't want a camera that can't figure that much out.

I note these cameras have white-light rather than infrared lighting. I presume that's because they're colour cameras... but are there any other ideas using IR that won't might disturb the neighbours?

Thanks in advance
Chris
spile
Been there, done that

Re: Complete noob question

Post by spile »

Once you have the (supported) cameras wired with Poe and a suitable Poe switch, it is simply a matter of going through the QVRPro install process. It is quite involved but very straightforward.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Finally, are these camera good?
DS-2CD2087G2-L(U)
Plenty of user info here :
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/hikvision ... 2-l.53547/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/initial-r ... era.54136/
And much more.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
crypticc
Starting out

Post by crypticc »

Thanks very much for the links

Chatting with a neighbour who does commercial installations.?.he said colour camera is the way fwd if you want chance to catch car numberplates... B&W with infrared LED blow out the contrast to the point of being unusable
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

B&W with infrared LED blow out the contrast to the point of being unusable
Only if you don't reduce the exposure to something like 1/2000 second.
Which is good for plates - but not for other images.

Check out these posts :
https://ipcamtalk.com/forums/lpr/
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”