QVR not very good about adding new Hikvision Cameras

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
RobHyde
Starting out

QVR not very good about adding new Hikvision Cameras

Post by RobHyde »

Unfortunately most of the Hikvision cameras that are on the QVR Compatibility list either are no longer sold (too old) or they are no longer sold in the US. I have tried cycling through similar cameras on the compatibility list to no avail. The best solution I have found is the "ONVIF ProfileS Cameras". This works but unfortunately QVR Pro then only supports the Motion Detection areas and I lose the benefits of all the Hikvision Smart Events.

I keep hearing on the forum that if QVR doesn't have your Hikvision camera on the compatibility list that you can reach out to them and they will add it to the list to be tested. I did this and my ticket was closed because "I do understanding these are the newer models, but we don't have these models of cameras to test."

The three cameras I have and gave to them. The first has been out for ages and I am surprised it's not been tested yet.
DS-2CD2087G2-L = Released January 2020
PCI-T15F2SL = Unsure of release date I purchased May 2021
PCI-T18F2S = Unsure of release date I purchased May 2021

Two Questions For the Community
1) Has anyone gotten any of these to work under a different Hikvision Compatible Brand/Model in QVR or different setting (allowing for smart events)?
2) Is there any other solution that will allow me to use my Hikvision Cameras with a surveillance solution running on QNAP?

Thanks in advance for any help.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: QVR not very good about adding new Hikvision Cameras

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I have tried cycling through similar cameras on the compatibility list to no avail.
Hopefully this will work for you as well -

Out of interest I just added a DS-2CD2087G2-LU to QVR Pro, with an Intrusion Detection event rule.
The usual set of 'smart events' were available.
I added this camera as a DS-2CD2186G2 and it connected OK.
I also tried a couple of other -G2 models and they also connected OK.
The G2 series does have some quirky firmware with an updated ISAPI, so it may be best not to try earlier series models.

Maybe try this approach and see how you get on.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

See the attached image :
Screenshot from 2021-10-28 18-45-25.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
RobHyde
Starting out

Post by RobHyde »

Very interesting indeed. Previously I was able to choose "Cross Line" and would see my camera in the rule source item list but they would be grey'd out. Now it does allow me to select the camera as a source for the "Cross Line".

I went back to my notes and I did get a failure for the DS-2CD2186G2 you suggested and a bunch of other G2 cameras. I tested about 10 G2's all with different stream settings (compression, resolution, etc). The only thing I have done since then was to update the firmware in each of my cameras (which was done today). So either my previous testing was flawed in execution or the firmware update fixed it. Either way I am super happy. You made me a very happy, I should have retested again today after the firmware update. Now to try something for the PCI-xxxxx cameras.

Again thank you very much !
RobHyde
Starting out

Post by RobHyde »

Just in case someone else runs into something similar. The solution seems to have been to update the firmware to the latest (as of 10/28/2021) and then use one of the G2 Fixed camera models with the same resolution and Line in Sound (I use an external microphone for the DS-2CD2087G2-L Models).

DS-2CD2087G2-L = DS-2CD2086G2 = Works with audio and single stream at H.265+, 3840x2160, 20 frame rate, and highest quality.
PCI-T15F2SL = DS-2CD2346G2 = Works with audio and single stream at H.265+, 2592x1944, 20 frame rate, and highest quality.
PCI-T18F2S = DS-2CD2086G2 = Works with audio and single stream at H.265+, 3840x2160, 20 frame rate, and highest quality.

Again thank you AlastairStevenson for the solution, you were a big help.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

The solution seems to have been to update the firmware to the latest (as of 10/28/2021)
The G2 series firmware has been subject to a lot of changes, it's big and fairly new, with quite a few quirky bugs.
But the biggest recent fix of all, in terms of impact, is this massive vulnerability that is present in so many Hikvision models :
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/unauthent ... 260.58763/
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Smouser
New here

Post by Smouser »

You can open a ticket with support to ask them to integrate a specific model onto QVR Pro.
You will need to make the camera accessible to them over the internet for a few weeks though.

You will need to provide:
- Public IP and admin password of this camera.
- Public HTTP and RTSP port of this camera. ( Portforwarding in the router).

I have had integration success with two previous cameras this way (Hikvision DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 and Dahua IPC-HDW2531TMP-AS-S2).
I also have an ongoing request to integrate the microphone capability with a Hikvision DS-2CD2347G1-LU which has been ongoing for a few weeks now.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

You will need to make the camera accessible to them over the internet for a few weeks though.

You will need to provide:
- Public IP and admin password of this camera.
- Public HTTP and RTSP port of this camera. ( Portforwarding in the router).
Fair enough if you really, really need to get the specific camera model support updated - but please be aware that there is a very good risk of the camera being hacked as the current major Hikvision RCE (Remote Command Execution) vulnerability is in the wild.

You might think - no big deal if my camera gets pwned - but it's not so much about anyone seeing the camera video - it's about having an embedded Linux device hooked up to your LAN, and potential hackers having a root shell on it.
All other devices on your LAN would be readily accessible when they are inside your network in that way.

Check this out :
Smouser
New here

Post by Smouser »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:14 am

You might think - no big deal if my camera gets pwned - but it's not so much about anyone seeing the camera video - it's about having an embedded Linux device hooked up to your LAN, and potential hackers having a root shell on it.
All other devices on your LAN would be readily accessible when they are inside your network in that way.

Check this out :
Fair enough. For me, I think it is worth the risk.

It seems like millions of cameras have got the vulnerability and as the camera will only be made available over the internet for a limited time, I am willing to gamble I will be ok :lol:

Especially as it seems that Hikvision is not making new cameras available to QNAP anymore (one of the support ticket workers told me). The only way newer Hikvision cameras will get integrated into QVR PRO is if customers make their cameras available to the QNAP camera integration team.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Fair enough. For me, I think it is worth the risk.

It seems like millions of cameras have got the vulnerability and as the camera will only be made available over the internet for a limited time, I am willing to gamble I will be ok
I wouldn't describe 2 weeks as 'a limited time'.
I've run honeypots with Hikvision cameras after a new vulnerability has been discovered, and it's been about a day until the camera gets hacked.
On average there is a probe every 2 seconds, most just cataloguing, but lots trying for exploits.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”