Orange question mark next to camera?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
overmind
Starting out

Orange question mark next to camera?

Post by overmind »

Hello all,

New to QNAP, but really enjoying the number of features it has!

In fact, one of the primary reasons I bought it was for the surveillance features, but to cut a long story short.......

I have connected one of my IP cameras and all seems well, except under the 'camera overview' page I can see an orange/amber question mark next to the camera icon. When I first open up the page there is a green tick for about a second, which then turns orange.

NAS: QNAP TS453A (Not sure I have the right one in my profile)

IP camera -
Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IS 2.8 mm (Mini dome)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-DS-2 ... vision+poe
Resolution: 2688x1520
Frame rate: 20fps
Ports: default (80 and 554)
Compression: H.264
Quality: Higher
Enable audio recording on this camera: ticked
Enable manual recording: ticked
Enable scheduled recording: ticked (all hours/days selected)
Enable recording on this camera: ticked
(All other check boxes are unticked).

Surveillance station version 5.1.1.0

I only have the one camera connected at the moment, so I can't check against any others.

I did a search, and found a couple other threads where people had a similar/the same issue, but did not post up whether the issue was resolved or not.
HUFChris
Starting out

Re: Orange question mark next to camera?

Post by HUFChris »

I am also having the same problem. Would be great if someone can help.
overmind
Starting out

Post by overmind »

It seems now I will get a red exclamation mark now and again too.. hmmm..

I also get sporadic emails every day or two about loss of signal from the camera for 3seconds or more. But when I connect, it seems OK.. strange.
HUFChris
Starting out

Post by HUFChris »

I never seem to get a red exclamation mark just orange.

What i do get all the time though is constant recording as it seems to pick up everything including leaves blowing past. Very annoying when all you want it to do is record what’s needed.

I had set up to warn me on emails but when i woke up to 2500 emails saying motion detected it got annoying lol.

Let’s hope someone can help us to why it won’t show the image of the camera and just the exclamation mark.
overmind
Starting out

Post by overmind »

I did some more searches, and others have gotten the dreaded question mark, but no resolution has been posted .. So I'm not holding my breath.. I'll try with some other cameras and keep you posted on whether I get the same result.

I tried playing with the motion alerts yesterday but couldn't get the SMTP part setup before I ran out of time. Think I should be glad it didn't work now lol

I would have thought you could select 'motion zones' , but it seems you can't.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I would have thought you could select 'motion zones' , but it seems you can't.
All the motion detection configuration, zones, sensitivity etc need to be configured in the camera itself.
All Surveillance Station does is to carry out an action (often a recording action) in response to an event (often a motion detected event) as notified by the camera.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
psikey
Been there, done that

Post by psikey »

Just got two of the same camera as you and also have the Orange Question mark but does seem to work?

Would like to know why we get it though.
overmind
Starting out

Post by overmind »

OK, so I did some 'tests' this weekend.

I have two Hikvision cameras (two different dome models), and a random model Axis bullet camera.

Both Hikvision's give me the orange question mark, but the Axis gives a live thumbnail.

Is there a way I can roll back the surveillance station software easily? I seem to recall that when I initially tested the cameras I was seeing a thumbnail with the Hikvisions. But my memory is a little hazy as it was just a quick test and a couple months back. That would have been on an older software version.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

It sounds like maybe a bug has been introduced for the Hikvision 4MP FWD camera range model code in SS.
It would be worth asking QNAP for any awareness or fixes with a HelpDesk ticket submission : https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Is there a way I can roll back the surveillance station software easily?
In the meantime, the earlier version of SS for your Intel Celeron NAS can be found here : http://download.qnap.com/QPKG/Surveilla ... 30_x86.zip
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
overmind
Starting out

Post by overmind »

Thanks, I'll give that a shot at some point in the next few days :)
user888
New here

Post by user888 »

I also am a new Qnap TS-453A owner and this is my first post.

My box has same version 5.1.1.0 and I am unable to get SS monitor mode to even connect to my Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IS although it will show a test thumbnail image but no preview. The preview in the SS status web page is there and the cam status says idle in red for both, i have another cam foscam and that is fine.. Looking forward to a fix for this problem as the camera is listed in the QNAP compatibility list. May try the older version of SS as linked above thanks will keep an eye here to see updates on the bugfix.

EDIT:

Earlier I noticed that the cam QNAP tested had a newer build of the same FW version for Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD it is available but still may not work as it was tested in SS 5.1.0.3 im going to try it anyway and will report back.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/downlo ... _i486.html

My FW: V5.3.6 build 151028

QNAP compatibility: V5.3.6 build 151105 on SS 5.1.0.3

Qnap SS camera comp list: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/compatibilit ... =HikVision
user888
New here

Post by user888 »

I cant get it to work even with latest firmware on camera and rolling back to SS 5.1.0.5 :-(

Just submitted a ticket
overmind
Starting out

Post by overmind »

Things have taken a turn for the stranger..

Now my mobile app won't connect remotely (ie. when not on the same wifi network). and one of the Hikvision camera's has dropped off and won't reconnect to the surveillance station (Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS - this is the full dome camera, the mini dome version is still connected fine). It keeps rejecting the login details of the camera even after I've tried changing them..

I also set up motion alerts a few days ago which never work, but all of a sudden started working last night and I was getting alerts every minute :roll: I then removed the 'event' and continued to receive the alerts until I rebooted the NAS.

odd.
HUFChris
Starting out

Post by HUFChris »

Mine has now started to settle down... just.

It now only records motion and not Continuously for 24 hours. So far used 200gb crazy but i have set to save for 7 days which seems the norm for a week.

I still get the stupid orange symbol though so am interested in what Qnap say from your submitted ticket.
user888
New here

Post by user888 »

Good afternoon HUFChris, glad to hear yours is settling down.I have some good news to!

Following a less than helpful response from the helpdesk which was just "install latest SS 5.1.1.0 and reboot camera" which is where I started lol. But anyway the good news...

I followed helpdesk advice somewhat reluctantly and re installed SS 5.1.1.0 but the camera would still not connect (no surprise) After a sharp intake of breath I then deleted the Hikvision camera in SS and set it up again from scratch.

All I did different this time was use the cameras top level admin account instead of the "user" account I had setup on the camera and to my surprise and if honest annoyance! it worked well.

Upon further investigation in the Camera itself under System/User Management, there are three levels of account available, Admin, operator and user. You can select properties for each giving various control which is somewhat funky, obv admin is full control which i didnt want to use really to have logged on the QNAP box etc so i set an account to the next lower level "operator" and ticked only 2 boxes:

Remote: Parameters Settings
and
Remote: Live view

This seems enough to get SS to connect to the camera with audio, the basic user account does not seem to provide enough privileges for SS to connect properly which is a shame since i like to lock down my kit as much as poss.

Now I go on and see about getting it recording properly etc lol. Another deep intake of breath.....

Return to “Surveillance Solution”