issue connecting Blitzwolf BW-SIC1 Security Camera (ONVIF)

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
Bebopper
Starting out

issue connecting Blitzwolf BW-SIC1 Security Camera (ONVIF)

Post by Bebopper »

Trying to connect my Blitzwolf BW-SIC1 Security Camera to surveillance station.

The IP cam is connected to wifi and is working both in the Blitzwolf windows app and also via RTSP in VLC media player.

When adding a camera using the wizard of surveillance station ("search camera's automatically") with searchtype = ONVIF the camera is found with the correct IP address. At the end of the wizard the camera is added successfully. The "test" does not work, it throws the error message "Connection failed. IP address is invalid". This is however not correct as the IP address is correct.

On the camera overview page in surveillance station the connection fails (from idle to connecting back to idle, etc.).

According to the Blitzwolf tool network settings ports information the ports should be as follows:
HTTP port:80
TCP port:4001
RTSP port:8554
ONVIF port:8000

RTSP Port 8554 is correct (is also used in VLC player and this works).
For the 'port' setting for the camera in surveillance station I have tried:
8000 --> no connection; clicking the IP address in the camera overview in surveillance station leads to a page cannot be displayed
80 --> not connection; clicking the IP address in the camera overview in surveillance station leads to a the login page for the IP camera; so this seems to be the correct port number.

For username/password I use the username/password I also use to log in on the login page for the IP camera, it works there.

As camera profile I am using the 'ONVIF ProfileS Cameras' profile.

I have the idea that there is an issue with the IP and/or port, but have no idea anymore what else to try. The IP camera is found by the wizard and works perfectly via VLC on RTSP. Any ideas on what else I can try?

A ping test to the ip address comes back with a 100% (good) result: 3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 1.4/3.0/6.0 ms
QNAP TS-451
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: issue connecting Blitzwolf BW-SIC1 Security Camera (ONVIF)

Post by AlastairStevenson »

The "test" does not work, it throws the error message "Connection failed. IP address is invalid". This is however not correct as the IP address is correct.
This is a somewhat misleading message that can occur when the port (not the IP address) is not correct.
The camera tool is unusually helpful in providing the 'ONVIF port' - usually it's necessary to resort to the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net to find that type of detail about an ONVIF device.

I'm not sure if you have actually tried this - but normally, in Surveillance Station ONVIF ProfileS camera configuration, you'd simply use the 'ONVIF port' (in this case 8000) where you might otherwise use the HTTP port of 80 when the camera has a built-in model.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Bebopper
Starting out

Post by Bebopper »

AlastairStevenson wrote:in Surveillance Station ONVIF ProfileS camera configuration, you'd simply use the 'ONVIF port' (in this case 8000) where you might otherwise use the HTTP port of 80 when the camera has a built-in model.
Thanks for your reply!

I have tried both ports 80 (standard for http, also the setting in the wizard when adding the camera) and 8000 (the ONVIF port indicated by the camera software); unfortunately no connection with either :(

But it does seem to have something to do with an incorrect port, simply can't figure out what...
QNAP TS-451
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Maybe it would be worth cross-checking the ONVIF port value with ONVIF Device Manager.
The URL at the bottom of the 'Identification' page will show it.
ODM will need some logon credentials, top left of the window, and should find the camera automatically.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Bebopper
Starting out

Post by Bebopper »

Thanks again :)

It looks like it might have more to do with the username/password than with the port. With the ONVIF Device Manager I cannot log in, using the same credentials as I use on the cam web interface. I get an error message 'Sender not Authorized'. On the cam web interface these work, but in the ODM they do not. May very well be the same for surveillance station.

I have tried changing the password several time (& the cam reboots automatically afterwards). After that I need the new password to login on the cam web interface (old password does not work anymore), so the change does get saved. Also with this new password I can however not log in on ODM.

I've also tried the camera ID and password which are written on the camera itself, these are meant for a direct connection to the cam (cam as Access Point). These also do not work (nor should they really for this purpose).

I have also installed the Blitzcam windows app which finds the camera and connects to it (and shows the image/video), this app does not need any credentials (which is somewhat strange...).

Could it still be a something in the cam settings which I need to change to allow for external applications (surveillance station, ODM) to connect to the cam?

In the web interface of the cam I have a couple of settings which I am not sure of what they do:
Start onvif --> checkbox which is checked (this seems okay to me)
Close OSD --> checkbox which is not checked (also seems okay to me, I do want OSD)
ONVIF --> dropdown with 'open' and 'close' as options; it is set to open (again, seems okay to me)
Only use the device in the LAN --> checkbox which is not checked

I will experiment some further...
QNAP TS-451
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

That does look like some problem with talking ONVIF to the camera, both with ODM and Surveillance Station.
I don't recall how far ODM gets with invalid credentials - does it get as far as verifying the ports in Networking?
Does the camera web GUI have any selections for RTSP authentication, such as 'basic' or 'digest'. You presumably needed to use the web GUI ID/password for the stream in VLC.
As an experiment, it may be worth seeing if in SS a 'Genric RTSP' connection can be made. This would be continuous recording only, no motion detection.
Does the supplier publish firmware, and if so how does the version on the camera compare?
Bebopper
Starting out

Post by Bebopper »

AlastairStevenson wrote:I don't recall how far ODM gets with invalid credentials - does it get as far as verifying the ports in Networking?
Unfortunately not, it shows the ip address, but no information about ports.
AlastairStevenson wrote:Does the camera web GUI have any selections for RTSP authentication, such as 'basic' or 'digest'. You presumably needed to use the web GUI ID/password for the stream in VLC.
Again unfortunate, but no RTSP authentication settings anywhere, not in the web GUI, not in the windows app and not in the Android app.
The VLC stream works with the username/password as well as without, but it seems to automatically remove the username and password from the string if I include it; rtsp://<username>:<password>@<ip-address>:8554/2.3gp automatically becomes rtsp://<username>:<password>@<ip-address>:8554/2.3gp (and the latter works).
AlastairStevenson wrote:Does the supplier publish firmware, and if so how does the version on the camera compare?
I have updated to the latest available firmware, I have not found any complaints online around login with this latest firmware (version 2.0.531).
AlastairStevenson wrote:As an experiment, it may be worth seeing if in SS a 'Genric RTSP' connection can be made. This would be continuous recording only, no motion detection.
I created this generic connection as you suggested using the username and password as in the web GUI, this triggered a reboot of the camera and after this it worked :DD (connection was made and recording started).
I then changed the settings to check if it would also work if I left the username and password empty (in the SS camera configuration), bad idea... :oops: this made the cam reboot again after which it got stuck in some kind of reboot loop preventing anything from working (not the connection in SS neither any of the apps or ODM).
Trying to fix this I took the camera off the power, deleted the generic RTSP camera entry (without username/password) in SS and created a new generic RTSP camera entry (with username/password). Put the power back on. First it went into this same reboot loop, but after about 10 reboots it decided that was enough and now it is working again, connected and recording. I do not know what caused the reboot loop (whether it had anything to do with the missing username/password).

So the good news is: it works in SS with a Generic RTSP connection. Does that provide any new insights? I think I'm a bit lost now, does this confirm that it is indeed an issue talking ONVIF to the camera?
QNAP TS-451
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

does this confirm that it is indeed an issue talking ONVIF to the camera?
Yes, I think it does, especially as ODM does not work properly with the camera either.
Generic RTSP is independent of ONVIF, but unfortunately lacks any motion event recording.

ONVIF Device Manager is widely used, and works pretty well.
Is there any way the camera manufacturer has a support service where you could ask them to check out some ONVIF implementation problems?
They may not be that keen to check against QNAP SS, but ODM would be easy for them to explore.
Bebopper
Starting out

Post by Bebopper »

AlastairStevenson wrote:Is there any way the camera manufacturer has a support service where you could ask them to check out some ONVIF implementation problems?
They may not be that keen to check against QNAP SS, but ODM would be easy for them to explore.
Thanks! Blitzwolf itself claims the camera is fully ONVIF compliant (it's even mentioned in the product name on their website (http://www.blitzwolf.com/BlitzWolf-BW-S ... p-130.html), so I will definitly contact their support and ask them, are there any specific questions I should ask them regarding the ONVIF implementation? Or is it best to refer to ODM and ask them to look into why the connection/login does not seem to work with ODM?
QNAP TS-451
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Or is it best to refer to ODM and ask them to look into why the connection/login does not seem to work with ODM?
In my view, you are less likely to get a pushback with that approach than asking about why it does not work with Surveillance Station.
I've used maybe 7 or 8 brands of camera, and all have been ONVIF compatible to various extents (only a couple such as Hikvision actually certified, but you don't expect that from the small brands) and none have had any problems interacting with ONVIF Device Manager.
You could also ask them if they have a formal certification.
wattstar
New here

Post by wattstar »

I am experiencing the same problem on a DigooCam DVR using the same cameras, I kept thinking that I had typed the password wrong.
Bebopper
Starting out

Post by Bebopper »

I recognize that feeling of thinking "But I am certain this is the password..." :-)

Have had one reply so far from customer service Blitzwolf which was very standard and from which it was clear they had not read my email message at all. My reply to that email has so far only led to complete silence. But I will keep on trying and will post here if I get a response that has any meaning.
QNAP TS-451
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Would it help to also send them a link to this thread about their products that's being discussed in public?
wattstar
New here

Post by wattstar »

I just took a camera out of the box this morning to test, no firmware update and no password or other settings changed and it works. I did need to leave for a few minutes too, it doesn't instantly become active.

Going to test after work what breaks it but I'm guessing something is wrong with the latest firmware.
Bebopper
Starting out

Post by Bebopper »

AlastairStevenson wrote:Would it help to also send them a link to this thread about their products that's being discussed in public?
I have made them aware of this topic in my explanation, also referring to it for more detailed information.
wattstar wrote:I just took a camera out of the box this morning to test, no firmware update and no password or other settings changed and it works. I did need to leave for a few minutes too, it doesn't instantly become active.

Going to test after work what breaks it but I'm guessing something is wrong with the latest firmware.
Could you also please test whether it can connect, with the old firmware, to the ONVIF Device Manager? And can you please let me know which firmware the functioning camera is on?
QNAP TS-451

Return to “Surveillance Solution”