Pixelation on one Camera

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
sharper9
Know my way around

Re: Pixelation on one Camera

Post by sharper9 »

Still fiddling with all things qnap surveillance station
All the best

TS251A 8GB 2 x 3TB JBOD for LMS and loads of other stuff. 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I
Firmware 4.4.3.1354 - Windows 11 + 2 x iPads
sharper9
Know my way around

Post by sharper9 »

Cannot get the NAS working/recording with the Hik GUI?
Still having problems with Cam triggering due to steam from the condensing boiler outlet?

thoughts or tips?
All the best

TS251A 8GB 2 x 3TB JBOD for LMS and loads of other stuff. 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

NAS as opposed to Surveillance Station?
We're having to guess where the problem is.

What settings are you trying to use?
eg NFS or SMB/CIFS share?

Size (not free space) of the shared volume?
Does the camera connect OK to the NetHDD?
Does the camera start the 'format' operation?
Does the NetHDD return to 'uninitialised' after the format operation?
Does the format work OK such that the status is 'Normal'?
Is the camera complaining 'No record file' when you try playback?
Do you have a 'Record Schedule' set?
Do you have 'Trigger channel' ticked for the camera channel?

Still having problems with Cam triggering due to steam from the condensing boiler outlet?
Well, that's definite movement, quite valid as a trigger.
I added a flue extension to ours to prevent this.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
sharper9
Know my way around

Post by sharper9 »

AlastairStevenson wrote:
NAS as opposed to Surveillance Station?
Yes - I was trying to look at an alternative to 'clunky' SS just using the NAS for Storage Also our PC and two iPads for view/playback etc. e.g. Hikvision iVMS-4200
We're having to guess where the problem is.
Sorry for the vagueness

What settings are you trying to use?
eg NFS or SMB/CIFS share?
NFS, as I read one could not use SMB/CIF from Hik GUI
Size (not free space) of the shared volume? This is where I got lost. I thought NetHDD section was for stand alone dedicated DVR's
Does the camera connect OK to the NetHDD? see above
Does the camera start the 'format' operation? The "FORMAT" option made me me steer clear of this whole NetHDD area see above

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here be dragons!!
Does the NetHDD return to 'uninitialised' after the format operation?
Does the format work OK such that the status is 'Normal'?
Is the camera complaining 'No record file' when you try playback?
Do you have a 'Record Schedule' set?
Do you have 'Trigger channel' ticked for the camera channel?

Well, that's definite movement, quite valid as a trigger.
I added a flue extension to ours to prevent this.
Flue? not sure thats an option see picture
flu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All the best

AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

I see what you mean about the flue outlet - an extension would probably not help there.
In our case the camera and flue were at about the same level at a flat roof, so the extension raised the outlet above the camera.

Sorry about the mixed terminology - 'NetHDD' is what's used on the storage menus of Hikvision NVRs, it's NAS on the cameras.
On the 'format' - yes, it's not the best term to use - puts people off as you've noticed - but all it does is create a framework of placeholder folders and files in the entire volume that's offered.
CIFS/SMB works OK, just the same as NFS except for the requirement to have a userID/password for access to the share.
But that can provide a benefit if a user quota can be applied.
With the approx 200GB maximum volume size the camera will handle, a user quota can work as an alternative to creating a separate volume to set the size.
But whether user quotas work to set the available size depends on the specific NAS implementation.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
sharper9
Know my way around

Post by sharper9 »

AlastairStevenson wrote:I see what you mean about the flue outlet - an extension would probably not help there.
In our case the camera and flue were at about the same level at a flat roof, so the extension raised the outlet above the camera.

Sorry about the mixed terminology - 'NetHDD' is what's used on the storage menus of Hikvision NVRs, it's NAS on the cameras.
On the 'format' - yes, it's not the best term to use - puts people off as you've noticed - but all it does is create a framework of placeholder folders and files in the entire volume that's offered.
CIFS/SMB works OK, just the same as NFS except for the requirement to have a userID/password for access to the share.
But that can provide a benefit if a user quota can be applied.
With the approx 200GB maximum volume size the camera will handle, a user quota can work as an alternative to creating a separate volume to set the size.
But whether user quotas work to set the available size depends on the specific NAS implementation.
I see you are using SS. Have you used Hik's iVMS-4200 on PC/iPad?

Do you record 24/7 and use alarm recordings?

Whats your view on both these.
All the best

AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Do you record 24/7 and use alarm recordings?
Yes, both, continuous on one Hikvision NVR, event recording on another Hikvision NVR, and both with QNAP Surveillance Station on a NAS.
Whilst event-only recording may seem attractive from the storage volume perspective, for any real incident continuous is more reliable if you need to extract evidence. In that context, the cost of storage space isn't an overriding consideration.
I see you are using SS. Have you used Hik's iVMS-4200 on PC/iPad?
I have never used this - would be forever looking at unwanted alarms.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”