Connecting PoE switch & cameras direct to a TS-531P

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
bl0ke
New here

Connecting PoE switch & cameras direct to a TS-531P

Post by bl0ke »

FIrst time postging - please be gentle.

I have a TS-531P connected to a Netgear GS116E.

I have two Hikvision DS-2CD2145F-IS 4MP cameras connected using an unmanaged PoE switch. These cameras are not yet supported by Surveillance Station, but if this switch is connected to the Netgear then the cameras pop up in SADPTool and I cam administer them via a web browser without problems.

I want to know if it is possible to connect this PoE switch directly to the rear of the NAS and have the cameras accessible as part of my 192.168.0.* network. Currently when I connect it, the adapter reports the IP address as 169.254.100.100.

(Illustrative image - not my setup)
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Connecting PoE switch & cameras direct to a TS-531P

Post by dolbyman »

make sure that you router (if it is handling) dhcp is also part of that loop
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

These cameras are not yet supported by Surveillance Station,
If you connect them as ONVIF ProfileS you could get continuous recording, and motion detection recording, but no intrusion detection or line crossing detection recording, with an h.264 profile.
Currently when I connect it, the adapter reports the IP address as 169.254.100.100.
That's a 'self-administered IP address' which is chosen when an interface is set to DHCP but there is no DHCP response.
For a NAS, you should really set a static address so that it is predictable.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
bl0ke
New here

Post by bl0ke »

The NAS has it's IP as .135 which is static, and DHCP is enabled on the internet router so that IPs are handed out as needed. If I connect the PoE switch to the main Netgear switch, the cameras will be handed IPs .30 and .31 and they can be seen in SADPTool / a web browser.

If I connect the PoE switch to Ethernet3 on the NAS (as per the image above), the port is assigned 169.254.100.100 and the cameras are invisible/inaccessible. I tried manually setting that port as 192.168.0.100 in Control Panel>Network but to no avail (the cameras were previously given .101 and .102 while connected to the main switch).
That's a 'self-administered IP address' which is chosen when an interface is set to DHCP but there is no DHCP response.
Presumably that's because there is no DHCP device connected to Ethernet3, whereas Ethernet1 has access to the router. Would bridging them make them effectively the same network? How would I do that?
GTunney
Been there, done that

Post by GTunney »

bl0ke wrote:The NAS has it's IP as .135 which is static, and DHCP is enabled on the internet router so that IPs are handed out as needed. If I connect the PoE switch to the main Netgear switch, the cameras will be handed IPs .30 and .31 and they can be seen in SADPTool / a web browser.

If I connect the PoE switch to Ethernet3 on the NAS (as per the image above), the port is assigned 169.254.100.100 and the cameras are invisible/inaccessible. I tried manually setting that port as 192.168.0.100 in Control Panel>Network but to no avail (the cameras were previously given .101 and .102 while connected to the main switch).
Presumably that's because there is no DHCP device connected to Ethernet3, whereas Ethernet1 has access to the router. Would bridging them make them effectively the same network? How would I do that?
Can you not enable DHCP on the NAS and set up for ethernet 3 and create it's own subnet?
Model: TS-453D 8GB
Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital WD40EFRX - RAID 5
Total Storage: 7.2TB
Applications: Plex | Sonarr | QSabnzbd+ | Radarr | Home Assistant | MQTT/Z2M
Other Devices: Netgear D7000 AC1900 VDSL Router | FTTP - 1014/104 | Netgear GS108 Gigabit Switch
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Plug everything into the switch including the router.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
bl0ke
New here

Post by bl0ke »

Don wrote:Plug everything into the switch including the router.
Yeah that's the fallback, but i only have two lines going to the loft where the NAS will reside, and I would like to use both for trunking rather than dedicate one for the cameras.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I still don't understand why you can't assign Ethernet 3 a static IP address in the segment of your choice, and set matching static IP addresses on the cameras with SADP.
DHCP just should not figure in this setup.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”