How to record on an alarm?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
DiliMe
Getting the hang of things

How to record on an alarm?

Post by DiliMe »

Can any of you clarify some real life scenarios for using SS Alarm Recording as described in the attached image?
QNAP_SS_Alarm1.jpg
Is it the understanding of an alarm, any of these events and that is all?
Camera: Motion Detection, Connection Failure
System: Recording Failure, HDD Failure
As in this image?
QNAP_SS_Alarm2.jpg

I was hoping that an alarm is the input from a camera alarm, similar to the PIR alarm that a Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-iW can trigger. As in this image?
Hikvision_PIR_Alarm.jpg
Actually, this is more of a rhetorical question as I received response that SS cannot parse alarms from a PIR sensor. But in my head it is still not clear the understanding of an alarm in QNAP's perspective.

Please clarify me with some real life examples.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: How to record on an alarm?

Post by AlastairStevenson »

The left hand pane under Advanced Settings, Event Management lists the 'Events' that the specific camera model can notify Surveillance Station about.
The right hand pane is where you configure the required 'Actions' in response to those events.
My understanding, and experience, is that Surveillance Station does not respond to Hikvision 'Smart Events' such as Line Crossing Detection, Intrusion Detection, or 'Other Alarm' such as a (internal to the camera) PIR trigger.
I think for 'Alarm' in the SS Events management context - the Notes under the 'Enable Alarm Recording' tickbox says it all.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
DiliMe

Post by DiliMe »

Yes, you're right with the description under Notes.
But I still consider that the way QNAP named the "Alarm Recording/Settings", is misleading many users into believing that SS can handle/parse some type of ONVIF alarm messages, which is wrong.
And as a curiosity, do you know if QVR (the little more professional application installed on QNAP VioStor) offers any extra software features compared to SS?
*(Main) TS-253A/8GB - \\SMB server for family documents; SurveilanceStation for 4 x cctv cams; Kodi for playing Movies on TV-HDMI; QuMagie for watching photos archive on smartphones; QMusic for listening music on smartphones; QFile for auto backup of smartphones photos; AutoBackup of family OneDrive/GDrive; Containers (iperf, nginx-proxy, uptime-kuma, influxdb)

*(Backup) TS-112/0,5GB - SurveilanceStation for 2 x cctv cams; RTRR of CCTV live recording from TS-253A; RTRR of all shared folders from TS-253A
DiliMe

Post by DiliMe »

With regards to my curiosity if QVR offers any extra features compared to the SS ... I broswed for couple of minutes QNAP's Security page and I couldn't find a comparison between the two versions. But, looking through their help and FAQs, I could see at least two Extra menus: 1) Backup & Expansion and 2) Recovery Managament.
*(Main) TS-253A/8GB - \\SMB server for family documents; SurveilanceStation for 4 x cctv cams; Kodi for playing Movies on TV-HDMI; QuMagie for watching photos archive on smartphones; QMusic for listening music on smartphones; QFile for auto backup of smartphones photos; AutoBackup of family OneDrive/GDrive; Containers (iperf, nginx-proxy, uptime-kuma, influxdb)

*(Backup) TS-112/0,5GB - SurveilanceStation for 2 x cctv cams; RTRR of CCTV live recording from TS-253A; RTRR of all shared folders from TS-253A
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

And as a curiosity, do you know if QVR (the little more professional application installed on QNAP VioStor) offers any extra software features compared to SS?
Last time I tried the QVR Pro Beta, the differences relative to Surveillance Station were oriented around the system and storage management side, and the user interface, as opposed to adding to event/action functionality.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”