IP Camera + NAS setup

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
Sparg93
New here

IP Camera + NAS setup

Post by Sparg93 »

I'm in the initial stages of my NAS and camera setup. At the moment, I'm considering the 251A.

Let me know what you think of this setup. I'm a total newb, so please do not hesitate to offer your complete advice :)

NAS Setup:
I'd like to leverage the NAS to record all video/audio, then automatically delete/rewrite. What is the best way to setup the NAS so a certain amount of space is allocated to the cameras, then auto rewrites when that folder/partition reaches capacity? Is it also possible for the NAS to auto create a separate folder per day or some other method so I don't have to manually go through hundreds of hours of videos?

Camera Recommendations
For the camera, I'd like to grab one that has audio in/out, motion detection and nightvision. Can you recommend any that are compatible with QNAP? Also, when QNAP says "compatible"....is it simply compatible with "Surveillance Station" or the NAS's ability to record/store the video at all from the camera?

With that in mind, I'm hoping to leverage my phone and the camera's native app for live viewing and 2way audio.

Thoughts on the above setup?
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: IP Camera + NAS setup

Post by Trexx »

Surveillance Station allows you to set a max folder usage size for the shared folder you store your recordings in. It then does a rolling overwrite when you hit the limit. You playback your video's through SS, which handles the date/time portion, you don't directly access the files through say FileStation.

In terms of compatible cameras, I have a Amcrest IP2M-841B which has built-in speaker/mic, 1080p, PanToZoom, etc. All recording is via SS, or most cameras support direct save to say an FTP server which would then bypass SS, but also you would lose the gui/monitor/playback functionality of SS too and be limited to whatever support the camera vendor provides.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Surveillance Solution”