POE Switch to Second QNAP LAN Port or Router?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
sadsack5000
Getting the hang of things

POE Switch to Second QNAP LAN Port or Router?

Post by sadsack5000 »

Gents,

I am a networking amateur. My current setup is simply connecting my 870 pro NAS to Asus AC66u router and then off to the ISP's modem and internet
It works very well right now and i am able to access all my applications on my NAS over fixed IP or my no-ip DNS

I am considering putting in 4x IP cameras connected to a new POE switch https://www.ple.com.au/Products/616202/ ... -SFP-Ports

Now i'd like to know what the advised connection route is for the new cameras and switch to the NAS.
Should i connect the POE switch direct to the second LAN port of my NAS or shall i connect it to the router?

Just thought id ask before i splash out
Thanks
Don
Guru

Re: POE Switch to Second QNAP LAN Port or Router?

Post by Don »

Connect everything to the switch including the router.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
sadsack5000

Post by sadsack5000 »

Roger that. Lucky i was going to buy an 8-port switch :)

Out of interest what is the reason for not connecting the POE directly to the NAS and in turn to the router?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

sadsack5000 wrote:Roger that. Lucky i was going to buy an 8-port switch :)

Out of interest what is the reason for not connecting the POE directly to the NAS and in turn to the router?
speaking of which i got a ts-509 pro, worth transforming into a pfsense router? has anyone done that before :shock:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

sadsack5000 wrote: Out of interest what is the reason for not connecting the POE directly to the NAS and in turn to the router?
I don't understand. When I said connect everything to the switch I meant the NAS also.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
sadsack5000

Post by sadsack5000 »

Apologies its not clear to explain this without a diagram

Your proposal is:
INTERNET-ROUTER-SWITCH-NAS/CAMERA's (into different ports)

My question is why not:
INTERNET-ROUTER-NAS-SWITCH-CAMERA (i.e. switch into ethernet 2, ethernet 1 goes to router)

Its still a crap illustration but hopefully you know what i mean
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Do you plan on having eth1 and erh2 on different networks? If not use option 1.

sadsack5000

Post by sadsack5000 »

hmmm im not sure, what would be the benefit in having the cameras on the same network? Do i need them on the same network for anything or can i live with them connected to ethernet 2 and still have full functionality of security station as well as rotating/zooming the cameras etc?

This all boils down to practicality in my home, i will need to run ethernet cables to the loft but also do not want to put any expensive gear up there. Currently my router sits on top of my NAS and the modem less than 30cm away. If i can run a single cable up to the loft for the POE switch connected up to ethernet 2 that would keep things virtually the same as i have them now... minimal fuss
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

To assist in the wiring choice, you should check that your router doesn't struggle when its switch ports are handling the local large traffic that the NAS can generate.
As a minimum it needs Gigabit ports, 10/100Mbps would create a serious bottleneck.
Worth doing to check this would be to run an internet speed test (eg OOKLA Speedtest) while copying large files to/from the NAS, and when the NAS is idle, see if there is any impact.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
sadsack5000

Post by sadsack5000 »

Ok so is that the only consideration i should be thinking about with my network config? Or is there other limitations that may emerge with option 2 (POE directly into ethernet 2 of NAS and then ethernet 1 to router)

EDIT: i'll no doubt experiment with network speeds but at this stage with the router being a high end model with a gigabit lan i dont forsee any problems with it

Return to “Surveillance Solution”