Sony IPELA and Alarm Recordings or Motion?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
philmee95
Starting out

Sony IPELA and Alarm Recordings or Motion?

Post by philmee95 »

Hello, we have a qnap VS-8140Pro+ with 37 Sony IPELA cameras attached. I have 2 weeks of continuous recordings but I would like to have alarm recordings or Motion events as well.

Motion or Alarm recordings would of course show us where and when something actually happened vs watching 3 days of video to check for an event. Not sure if this is possible, my install company kind of scratched their head when it came to alarms. Our old DiBos system had this, so I now miss this feature.

The sony cams are on the ONVIF list with "S" type compatibility. I saw in the forums ONVIF mentioned a lot as how alerts function. The QNAP site shows these cameras are compatible but alarm function is not supported. When you click on notes the qnap site says
SONY SNC-EM600
This model support smart recoding & User defined multi streaming
I have alarms set up on 1 of our dome cameras and the SONY admin page shows the event getting fired with a green motion box.

not sure how up to date the site is for the compat list, but there are only 4 sony cams for 5.1. I am on the most current NVR Current firmware version: 5.1.1 for NVR
Date: 2017/06/07

I updated all the sony cams to the latest fw a few months ago when it was version 2.7.2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ts-269 is now a home unit running plex.
ts-469L - remote snapshot replication target for veeam.
vs-8140Pro+ - 8 x 2 tb SATA, 35 sony ip cameras (android qviewer working, NVR is hanging and not recording randomly)
ESS1640dc - VMware iscsi data store. 4 x 1tb flash, 8 x 3 tb SATA. Running fine for over a year :)
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: Sony IPELA and Alarm Recordings or Motion?

Post by AlastairStevenson »

The cameras may not support the generation of ONVIF event notifications for motion, even if you can configure this in the camera web GUI.
You can check this independently using the very good Windows open-source tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some logon credentials (top left of the window) and it will find ONVIF devices automatically.
Check out the Events page to see if the cameras generate motion events, also check out the Rules to the topics supported.
If ONVIF Events are generated, the QNAP box should be able to use them under an ONVIF ProfileS connection.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
philmee95
Starting out

Post by philmee95 »

Thanks Alastair. I tried to get that app awhile ago after reading about it in the forum but their host or download mirror might have been down. So I got it yesterday and ran it and did get events fired. I think I had to go into the camera itself into "action output" -> "http alarms" to set a destination and I set it to a desktop I was running that onvif viewer on.
Not sure how to set up the qnap to recognize or use it. Their are 20 different versions of guides, none of which look like my interface on my NVR.
2017-11-06_1720.png
I am working on that Finance camera 10.2.10.51. Sony IPELA SNC-EM600. QNAP VS-8140Pro+.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vs-8140Pro+ - 8 x 2 tb SATA, 35 sony ip cameras (android qviewer working, NVR is hanging and not recording randomly)
ESS1640dc - VMware iscsi data store. 4 x 1tb flash, 8 x 3 tb SATA. Running fine for over a year :)
philmee95
Starting out

Post by philmee95 »

Hey look, events now in my NVR. I was messing around with the NVR -> Event Management and toggled advanced mode (traditional mode has had the Alarm recording enabled for months with camera 32 set up and no motion detection until now...also did the event http alert in the camera today).

Camera 35 is sending alerts too and it is not configured with the http alert notify ip of the NVR. There are no settings above and beyond the basic get the camera connected to the NVR to this camera like the other cameras on the system besides camera 32 which I have been messing with the alert settings. Camera 35 does have a motion zone setup. I set up Alarm action in advanced mode for camera 35 and now have the same indicators for alarms in the QVR clients as camera 32 which has the http alerts. So I guess I don't need alerts setup on each camera. Must be for notifying another tool besides the NVR the camera is attached to.

Anyways, I saw the running guy on the QVR-Monitor application with the alarm dot box in red when there was motion, and on the QVR Playback I see red on the timeline now when there was motion.

I guess channels are so I can have other cameras record when an alarm is fired...to get other angles.

Can you have multiple streams to have different retention on alarm recordings and always recording? We only have 2 weeks of footage with 9.2 TB of disk, and having alarm footage for longer than rolling everything footage would be great.
philmee95
Starting out

Post by philmee95 »

Well, I have a few cameras reporting motion detection now. Seems pretty confusing to set up. Cameras with the same settings do not report motion to the QNAP NVR or QNAP surveillance station settings need to be messaged just right to work. Cameras show motion events firing with green boxes on the Motion Events page, but qnap-monitor is not showing them even though the ALARM indicator shows on the camera (when motion events are configured).

I click apply on the config pages or switch back and forth between advanced and traditional and then I get the motion event to show in QNAP monitor with the running guy indicator. Major item seems to be the Start recording when motion is detected being checked, even though the cameras are always recording so far in my setup. At least we have motion visuals on the 8 cameras I changed so far.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”