How to set up motion recording and know its working?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
ccm288
Starting out

How to set up motion recording and know its working?

Post by ccm288 »

I have followed the instructions at
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... f-qnap-nas

However they are a little old and do not completely match the current software. For example "Camera Settings" > "Alarm Settings" does not exist. I finally found it in "Event Management".
Anyway. I tried to set up to only record when there is motion. I don't think it is doing this currently I think it is recording 24 Hours a day. When I play video at night when there is no one there there should be nothing. I do see a blue line in the playback softare and a Red line when there is movement. But it also seems like there is video from when there is no movement.

When I open the QVR-monitor software that I installed on my Win7 there are three lights at the top A, S, M (Manual). The S is on all the time (for Schedule) the A for alarm never lights up.
Should the S be solid? and should not the A blink when there is motion. One note I see on the web indicates that there should be a Running Man icon when there is movement.
The email seems to work, although I have this off as this would be way too annoying eg. when there is movement It sends an email, so I know that the camera understands that there is movement.
I have configured the settings as best I can. Enabled Schedule recording, event traditional mode, enable alarm, all other checkboxes are checked.

Advice anyone??

colin
QNAP TVS-863 Turbo NAS - NAS server - 8x2 TB.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: How to set up motion recording and know its working?

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I do see a blue line in the playback softare and a Red line when there is movement. But it also seems like there is video from when there is no movement.
If there is a red line for movement, then motion recording is taking place.
Do you want motion recording only, not continuous? It's not clear.
From what you've described it sounds like you have both Schedule Recording enabled (ie continuous, under Camera Management) and also Record on Motion (Event management) enabled.
So that will give both continuous and motion on Playback.
Untick scheduled recording if you want only motion.
The assumption also is that you have configured the required motion detection settings in the camera itself.

And if you want to easily check what's happening you can also look at the files in the /Recording folder.
Motion and Continuous are stored and named differently.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
ccm288
Starting out

Re: How to set up motion recording and know its working?

Post by ccm288 »

Yes you are right only for movement only not continuous. I have disabled the scheduled and am doing some tests now. The (S) has completely disappeared from the QVR-Monitor Ribbon.
So in this version there is no Running man showing activity?

Also when you are in the QVR-Playback software how can you update the files, that is... You download the most reasent videos, now after a few minutes you want to download the New most resent files. The only way I can see is by exiting the program and then logging in again. Is there refresh or something?
Thanks.
QNAP TVS-863 Turbo NAS - NAS server - 8x2 TB.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”