1.2MP WiFi ipcam vs 4MP POE

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
Storyline
Getting the hang of things

1.2MP WiFi ipcam vs 4MP POE

Post by Storyline »

I am about to install a camera covering our front path and front door to record visitors who come up the path. I have identified two separate camera routes. The first is a variety of 1.2MP 1280x720p WiFi cameras eg Sumpple and various clones. They connect either by WiFi or wire. They also have PTZ. The second are 4Mp dome cameras that use POE and are made by Dahua, Hikvision etc. Prices are broadly similar for each type.
The question is, how does the image quality broadly compare between the two types ? On the face of it the 4mp camera should be dramatically better than the 1.2mp one, but I however reading reviews on Amazon and looking at actual samples, the difference is not that huge.
Has anyone had any experience of owning both type of cameras and could comment please. I would also be interested in hearing about anything else that may be relevant.
Many thanks
Paul
Last edited by Storyline on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowly getting the hang of my TS-453A :)
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: 1.2MP WiFi imam vs 4MP POE

Post by AlastairStevenson »

1.2MP 1280x720p WiFi cameras eg Sumpple
They also have PTZ.
Are you sure these are PTZ? The product description does not suggest that.
For the specification (720P) they seem massively over-priced at 60GBP.
Also - they do not appear to be in the QNAP IP camera compatibility list.

Hikvision and Dahua cameras are an order of magnitude better in terms of image quality, usable features, and are well supported by QNAP.
You will find quite quickly that low-light performance is a key differentiator, especially when any movement is in play.
Both Hikvision and Dahua have ultra-low-light models using the Sony 'Starvis' sensors, which set new standards for low-light performance.

Check out sample images and video and users' views here : https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-sta ... r-z.14683/
That's a varifocal - but there are also cheaper fixed focus Starlight models also.
And lots of info on Hikvision's range also.

One more thing - you will likely discover the hard way that the 'bullet' format of camera with the IR ring is a magnet for spider webs.
The 'turret' format, with the EXIR LEDs, is much less prone, and gives stronger and more even IR illumination.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Storyline

Post by Storyline »

Thanks for the speedy reply Alastair :)

That camera you linked to looks very,very sharp but the live feed looks a little over exposed to me but I am sure that would be an easy fix.

As regards the wifi cameras, this is the one that prompted my post - It is only 1.3MP but does have PTZ. I am not sure of your views but I would be interested to hear what you think about PTZ. My first thoughts were that it sounded good but in reality am I going to sit logged onto the web and panning and tilting my camera ? - I doubt it and I now think it may think be better to have the camera/s statically covering the area of interest. If the camera could detect movement and then move itself and zoom in it would be great but I doubt it is possible - or at least possible at a reasonable price !
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dericam-Auto-f ... ds=Dericam

I have also found a Reolink that seems similar to the Dahua/Hikvision
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... D6J6&psc=1

This is listed on the Compatibility List . On the subject of the Compatibility List could I pick your brains again please ? Is it better to look for a camera that is on the list as ;Supported by Design ?
Also, there are so many variants including variants of a particular model it is crucial to have every digit matching as frequently the first part of the model numbers match but the suffix doesn't.

To return to the Dahua camera, it is a pity that it is not quickly available in the UK as I need to get it this week whike I am off work. I was hoping it was on Amazon !

I have found this Hikvision - you can get a bracket for it which is good as I want to mount it on a vertical door frame -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... O2NI&psc=1

Any opinions would be appreciated :)
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

My first thoughts were that it sounded good but in reality am I going to sit logged onto the web and panning and tilting my camera ? - I doubt it and I now think it may think be better to have the camera/s statically covering the area of interest.
I thing you've hit the nail on the head there!
If the camera could detect movement and then move itself and zoom in it would be great but I doubt it is possible - or at least possible at a reasonable price !
Auto-tracking cameras do exist - but at the low end they seem to be a bit problematic.
But here is a reasonable example, with the starlight sensors : https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/yunch-20x ... ost-221289
Also, there are so many variants including variants of a particular model it is crucial to have every digit matching as frequently the first part of the model numbers match but the suffix doesn't.
I agree the model numbers are a minefield - one small difference in a suffix and it's not what you thought it was.
I have also found a Reolink that seems similar to the Dahua/Hikvision
The brand does get a bad press on the IPcamtalk forum : https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/reolink-good-bad.16768/
I have found this Hikvision - you can get a bracket for it which is good as I want to mount it on a vertical door frame -
I'd say for domes - OK in a sheltered environment, if you can get them mounted such that IR bleed / flare isn't a problem, and water and dust on the dome itself.
I have one under the porch and it's been OK.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Storyline

Re: 1.2MP WiFi ipcam vs 4MP POE

Post by Storyline »

Thanks again for the reply :)

Unfortunately it crossed with my purchase today of a Reolink RLC-422 :wink: I have read the forum link you posted and it is a hilarious read. One of the forum owners has got a hysterical hatred of Reolink - I can't imagine what they must have done to upset him so much. The camera I have ordered has zoom so if nothing else I will be able to nail the exact focal length I need for my front path and then if I am unhappy with the camera I will Ebay it and order a better quality one with the correct focal length (which i guess will be around 4mm). I have to say though that actual live footage from the Reolink looks great and the overwhelming feedback on Amazon UK is very positive. Also, last weekend I installed another dome camera pointing at our birdfeeders. This is from Dahua and by coincidence a Google search on it brought up a reference to the Reolink hater from the ipcamtalk forum ! So in a couple of days I will upload some footage of each camera to YouTube and post it here so people can see the difference.,

As to the confusing numbering, I have found a useful decode list for Hikvision at least - https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/advice/3 ... art-codes/

Return to “Surveillance Solution”