Motion Alarms - seems simplistic

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
Storyline
Getting the hang of things

Motion Alarms - seems simplistic

Post by Storyline »

I have a Reolink dome camera mounted over our front door and I want to to record anyone walking up the path. Unfortunately at the bottom of the path is the road and although a good 15m away or so it is in the camera view. Often, when a car passes slowly, it will trigger an alarm event. The software that comes with the Reolink camera has very comprehensive alarm settings and you are able to adjust it's sensitivity and block off areas that will not be included. Surveillance Station on the other hand seems very basic and all you seem to be able to do is to alter the times of the day it operates.
Am I missing something or should I just stick to the Reolink software for alarms and use SS for when I want to view the cameras in real time ?
Slowly getting the hang of my TS-453A :)
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: Motion Alarms - seems simplistic

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Surveillance Station on the other hand seems very basic and all you seem to be able to do is to alter the times of the day it operates.
Surveillance Station does not do any video analytics for motion detection - it simply reacts to event notifications provided by the camera.
All the analytics are done in the camera, based on how the motion detection settings are configured in the camera itself.

Not having seen it - I may be wrong - but I suspect that the Reolink app when presenting the ability to configure motion detection settings is simply providing a convenient configuration 'front end' to the camera.
There is a similar situation with a Hikvision camera and Hikvision NVR.
On the camera web GUI or via a Hikvision app, detailed configuration can be done.
On the NVR, various types of event notifications can be used to trigger recording.
But also, the NVR interface can be used to configure event settings in the camera - but all it's doing is providing a convenient front-end for those settings.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Storyline

Post by Storyline »

Thanks Alastair

How does the camera pass the information to Surveillance Station ? If it is invisible to the user then it is possible that the numerous motion activated 'events' are already being generated by the Reolink software and I am seeing them listed in Surveillance Station. Does this sound plausible ? I had assumed that as they are listed in Surveillance Station then it is that software that generated them.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

How does the camera pass the information to Surveillance Station ?
The communications protocol varies from camera model to camera model.
That's why QNAP has to create a specific model for each type of camera. It's a big effort considering the number that SS supports.

Large manufacturers such as Dahua and Hikvision have a fairly unified programming interface which works across many models in their range.
Small manufacturers often use the ONVIF specifications to define how event notifications are requested and supplied.
For this, QNAP only need a few ONVIF models to be able to connect with a large range of cameras.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Storyline

Post by Storyline »

Sorry to be dense ! but does SS generate any alarms/events on its own or does it rely completely on just reporting what it is told by the camera ?
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Sorry to be dense ! but does SS generate any alarms/events on its own or does it rely completely on just reporting what it is told by the camera ?
To the best of my knowledge, QNAP Surveillance Station does not do any video analytics in order to generate motion detection events - it relies on notifications from the camera.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”