Post by Jepo2355 »

(user data space..not system)?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QVR Pro vs. Surveillance Station?

Post by dolbyman »

The system data is sveral spanning RAID1 across all drives in the system

usable data can only be on a RAID1 of 2 drives, not more or less

so if there is 6 drives, it cannot be a RAID1 (it could be a RAID0,5,6,10,spanning jbod or pooled single drives)
steerage250
Getting the hang of things

Post by steerage250 »

Jepo2355 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:16 pm The first thing you need to realise is that you can not run QVR Pro unless you create a new data volume on your raid/jbod storage pool.
Are you sure the above is true ?? I am running QVR Pro and only have one volume on my disks. I thought I had to create a storage pool to get it running, but when I go to confirm that just now, "Storage & Snapshots" says I don't have any storage pools - maybe I just had to create a storage space on my volume (to limit the space available to QVR Pro).

In any case, the key point is, I only have one volume - for everything - including QVR Pro.
TS-251, PCs with Windows 10
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

steerage250 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:56 am
Jepo2355 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:16 pm The first thing you need to realise is that you can not run QVR Pro unless you create a new data volume on your raid/jbod storage pool.
Are you sure the above is true ?? I am running QVR Pro and only have one volume on my disks. I thought I had to create a storage pool to get it running, but when I go to confirm that just now, "Storage & Snapshots" says I don't have any storage pools - maybe I just had to create a storage space on my volume (to limit the space available to QVR Pro).

In any case, the key point is, I only have one volume - for everything - including QVR Pro.
Correct, misinformation, you can use an existing volume or created a dedicated one.
rafale
Easy as a breeze

Post by rafale »

Never ventured myself into this area of the forum and am finding this question and responses very insightful.
For the record I am running both SS and QVR Pro on my NAS and they both record on the same volume, different storage space. Even though this is not recommended by QNAP, I have been running this way for well over one year now but note the CPU I am running this one. (actually half of the cores of that CPU are dedicated to VMs)
I split my camera set into outdoor and indoor and have been using QVR Pro for my newer H265 cameras which saves a lot of disk space. QVR pro also offers many additional functionalities which SS does not: for example motion detection and proxying streams.
What irritated me was the fact that the SS licenses could not be ported over to QVR Pro forcing me to keep running both softwares on my QNAP. (I have 16 cameras and had purchased 8 licenses for SS now being completely unused). Given the money I spent on them, I am not about to go buy QVR Pro license. Instead I might be looking at running a Blue iris server on a windows VM within QNAP which would be both cheaper and superior in functionalities.
Server: TVS-872XT i9 9900 ES, 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, intel X550-T2, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC (On pico PSU), 2x Phison E12 1TB M.2, 4x Micron 5210 7.68TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
Backup NAS: TS-473 20GB DDR4 2400MHz, Mellanox ConnectX3, 2x Samsung PM871b 256GB M.2, 4x WD Red 8TB
Former units: TVS-1282, TS-871, TS-469
markr71
Starting out

Post by markr71 »

I have hikvision h265 and h265+ cameras but when I set them up in QVR Pro, it all works fine until I try and view the feeds from the windows 10 QVR software, it just locks up and hangs.. so I have to go back and use the h264 settings
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

So here I am about to venture into setting up POE IP cameras on my NAS (model is in my signature) I was looking at Hikvision IP cameras and am wondering what the views and opinions of others out there who have implemented Hikvision cameras.

I will require two or three outdoor and four to six indoors. Would be looking for external cameras to have decent thermal IR, however there are two external lights always on during the night, with one that lights up one area that I need, still I would like decent images for night recordings to clearly show people, motion detection etc as well.

All cameras are as I mentioned POE IP. I am yet to invest in a 24port POE switch, more than likely will be a Netgear model.

As for the software utilised, I have been reading up on QVR Pro and SS and it would appear QVR Pro is the direction to head down, would this be correct? I have not purchased any licenses for QVR Pro or SS as yet so selecting the appropriate/better package will be easy to do once I settle on cameras etc.

If anyone can offer/suggest cameras, models, retailers etc as well I would appreciate these.

TIA
Johnno
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205

Return to “Surveillance Solution”