Starting out

Re: License broken

Post by BunnyHunter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:20 am

After reboot license was back with license center 1.0.2

Avrution
Starting out

Post by Avrution » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 am

Is this still broken in the latest version? I bought exfat yesterday and have been unable to install it due to the 1021003 error. Of course it seems support doesn't reply on the weekend and I'm stuck unable to access a drive.

psined
New here

Post by psined » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Same exact error here.

[LicenseCenter] License Center failed to activate the licenses either because the license applied on a different device or the maximum usage quota has been reached. (error code: [1021003])

Not sure what's going on. I'm applying the license to one and only NAS.

Filed a helpdesk ticket with QNAP. Hope they read them.

Why does it have to be so mind numbingly difficult to install a stupid innocuous driver????? :shock: :cry:

storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Avrution wrote:Is this still broken in the latest version? I bought exfat yesterday and have been unable to install it due to the 1021003 error. Of course it seems support doesn't reply on the weekend and I'm stuck unable to access a drive.

Excuse me but curious as to why people need exFAT, in what instance are you handling files bigger than 16TB and how's this possible on an USB external device?

Avrution
Starting out

Post by Avrution » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:45 pm

Some devices won't read NTFS so exfat is the easiest solution. Windows has no problem formatting a usb drive to exfat.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:00 am

Avrution wrote:Windows has no problem formatting a usb drive to exfat.
Ehh, no. :roll:

On the other hand, if Microsoft didn't charge for the use of their licensed format on other platforms there would be no need for a license at all.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Avrution
Starting out

Post by Avrution » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:12 am

Well, no problems here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:42 am

The company that created Windows is Microsoft.
The company that created exFAT is Microsoft.
The company that charge a license for exFAT is Microsoft.

Do you see the pattern there? If you do, that should give you a clue why exFAT work (without a license) in Windows.

I have two ideas for workarounds that should get you going while you're waiting for the fix from Qnap:
Use another file system on the disk for now and later change it to exFAT.
Or
Format on Windows and copy data over the network until you have exFAT working.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:48 am

because Microsoft invented the format .. obviously no need to license it out to themselves

*edit* too late

Return to “Surveillance Solution”