Wireless camera options?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
J2121
Know my way around

Wireless camera options?

Post by J2121 »

I'm wondering if there are any _fully_ wireless camera options that will work with the QNAP system. By wireless, I mean NO wires - solar powered and wifi.

I have some locations on my properly where a camera would be useful. There are ways of getting a wifi signal there, but power and/or a wired connection is not possible.

I realize that wifi has its limitations. I also understand that a solar powered option would likely not be adequate for 24/7 streaming. However, simple motion alert and motion event recording would be much better than nothing at all.

The QNAP camera compatibility list doesn't give any indication of wifi or solar power options. Any ideas which models might work?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Wireless camera options?

Post by dolbyman »

why not build you own ?

Solar panel / battery trickle charger rig with DC/DC conversion for the cam of your choice ?
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I also understand that a solar powered option would likely not be adequate for 24/7 streaming. However, simple motion alert and motion event recording would be much better than nothing at all.
Maybe a slight misunderstanding here.
In order for the 'pre-event motion detection recording' capability to be possible, the video stream needs to be continuously buffered.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
J2121
Know my way around

Post by J2121 »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:50 pm Maybe a slight misunderstanding here.
In order for the 'pre-event motion detection recording' capability to be possible, the video stream needs to be continuously buffered.
Is a "pre event' necessary? The camera is responsible for triggering the motion event. Why not just start recording when motion is detected? I have battery powered trail cams that currently do that.

There are fully wireless cameras available that can be viewed over the web either through wifi or 3G. They are able to record motion events to a built in storage card. I'm looking for that type of setup that can be integrated with my wired cameras and QNAP setup.
J2121
Know my way around

Post by J2121 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:50 am why not build you own ?

Solar panel / battery trickle charger rig with DC/DC conversion for the cam of your choice ?
It's a thought that I may have to consider. It does create the question... what rechargeable, battery-operated, wifi cameras work well with QNAP? The compatibility list is long, but doesn't provide that kind of detail.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

at that point you only need to find wifi,outdoor,12/6/5V camera

the rechargable solar battery pack would be the "project" (lots on ebay etc)
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Is a "pre event' necessary?
Only if you want to see the event that triggered the motion notification.
The camera is responsible for triggering the motion event. Why not just start recording when motion is detected?
Certainly you could do that, if you can live with the delay associated with the stream setup dialogue and the variable wait for the next i-frame.
I suppose it depends on what type of events the camera is set up to capture.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
J2121
Know my way around

Post by J2121 »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:18 am at that point you only need to find wifi,outdoor,12/6/5V camera

the rechargable solar battery pack would be the "project" (lots on ebay etc)
The solar project part seems easy enough. I probably wasn't clear as to my query.

The QNAP camera compatibility list is long. Nothing in that list gives any indication which cameras are outdoor or 12/6/5v powered. There is also no indication of which cameras are wifi or, in the case of cameras with wifi/wired options, if the wifi connection will work (vs wired).

I was hoping someone could provide some personal experience or recommendations that would narrow down the list of cameras to look at.
J2121
Know my way around

Post by J2121 »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:36 am
Is a "pre event' necessary?
Only if you want to see the event that triggered the motion notification.
The camera is responsible for triggering the motion event. Why not just start recording when motion is detected?
Certainly you could do that, if you can live with the delay associated with the stream setup dialogue and the variable wait for the next i-frame.
I suppose it depends on what type of events the camera is set up to capture.
I see your point. Any motion events I might need capture from these cameras would likely last long enough to survive a small delay.

More importantly, ANY captured footage along with the ability to log in and view a live stream is better than the current situation of having nothing. WIth no way of getting any wires to the location, it is not an ideal situation for a camera. Thus, I am not expecting ideal results.
JakiBOii
First post

Post by JakiBOii »

I would probably look into Arlo cameras. They're wireless and if you wish to switch to solar, there's an option too. We use it on our backyard and we're happy with it so far. We particularly liked the 2way communication and its night vision. It's very easy to set up and mobile app is user friendly too.I am not an exactly an expert, ahaha, so you might want to check it yourself. The only thing I noticed that's not so nice about it is that its batteries can drain sooner than we anticipated it to be.
J2121
Know my way around

Post by J2121 »

JakiBOii wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:11 pm I would probably look into Arlo cameras.
I've looked at those and they seem to be exactly what would work for my situation. Unfortunately, they are not on the QNAP compatibility list. I was hoping that there was a similar option out there that could integrate with my existing QVRPro setup.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”