Reolink RLC-810A dropped frames & connection issue (QVR Pro)

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
nitromax
Starting out

Reolink RLC-810A dropped frames & connection issue (QVR Pro)

Post by nitromax »

Hi all.

I purchased 3 x Reolink RLC-810A to replace my 3 front garden cameras ( 2 x Reolink RLC-411, 1 x RLC-420) there is a 4th cameras in total, a Reolink RLC-420 which covers the back the garden.

All cameras worked great and no issues with dropped frames or disconnecting.

Wanted to upgrade the front 3 cameras to better quality.

I installed only 1 x RLC-810A and was getting constant disconnection and loss frame rate.

Camera runs off a 4 port switch POE.

Camera was set up on ONVIF (ONVIF ProfileS Camera), port 8000 RTSP port 554, which allowed me to have it on 3840*2160 resolution, 25 frames, bit-rate 4096.

So I deleted all cameras and formatted hard drives and just ran the RLC-810A only, still the same problem. After reading other users reviews for other Reolink cameras I tried some tweaking.

I am running it on single stream mode, then I noticed if I changed the transport protocol from Auto to UDP it works perfect.

Its been running now for 2 days without frame loss or disconnecting, but I loose audio, no audio in UDP.

If I change it to Auto or TCP I get audio but get constant frame loss and disconnection.

In the Reolink App it does not matter what mode I run it in on, it show perfect footage with audio.

So what am I missing or doing wrong, is there anything else I can try.

I have added the other cameras back and QVR Pro is running 4 cameras, I have not installed the other 2 new Reolink RLC-810A yet as I want to sort this problem out first.

The Reolink RLC-810a is not on the compatibility list for QVR Pro

Qnap TVS-951X
V4.5.1.1540
Memory: 18GB
RAID0 : 2 x 4TB WDPurple HD (thick Volume)
Cache Acceleration RAID5 read only 1TB SSD for CCTV
QVR Pro: 1.4.0.3
Model: TVS-951X Intel Celeron 7th Generation Dual Core 1.8GHz FW: 4.5.1.1540
Disks: [Single]
1 x Crutial MX500 500GB SSD (Operation system)
1 x WD RED 4TB (media)
1 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB Nas (Media)
1 x 4tb WD Blue SSD (Phone media back up)
2 x WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Drive (Raid0)
1 x Crucial 1TB SSD (Raid 5 Cache acceleration for CCTV Drives (WD Purple)
scottmby
New here

Re: Reolink RLC-810A dropped frames & connection issue (QVR Pro)

Post by scottmby »

I'm using an RCL-822a and experiencing the same issues. Constantly. I switched to the POE cameras from wireless to alleviate this, and now it's worse.
nitromax
Starting out

Post by nitromax »

it only works best on UDP.

to be honest, I was not impressed with this model of camera. I have been doing research and found out that Hikvision camera have better night time and day time performance compared to Reolink.

Just ordered a DS-2CD2386G2-IU AcuSense 4K Darkfighter Turret Camera IR & Microphone, going to give it a try and if they work better than the Reolink I will be upgrading all cameras to Hikvision.

Plus this model is on the QVR Compatibility list.

Even their 4MP cameras looks brilliant compared to reolink models.
1 x WD RED 4TB (media)
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

to be honest, I was not impressed with this model of camera.
You are not alone with that assessment.
Check out other user experiences with the Reolink brand here :
https://ipcamtalk.com/search/1448884/?q=reolink&o=date
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Storyline
Getting the hang of things

Post by Storyline »

nitromax wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:37 am .....
Just ordered a DS-2CD2386G2-IU AcuSense 4K Darkfighter Turret Camera IR & Microphone, going to give it a try and if they work better than the Reolink I will be upgrading all cameras to Hikvision.
Like most things in life you get what you pay for and at the moment here in the UK you can get 3 of these new 4k Reolink cameras for the price of one equivalent Hikvision.

I'm sure you are correct and on a 4k monitor the difference between the cameras would be obvious but my first impression on connecting this Reolink model to my mid range monitor was one of surprise as to just how much this type of camera has improved in recent times. The definition of the image is extraordinary and the ease of poe means installation is just so easy. True, the colours may not be super accurate and the image has a harsh digital feel but for what it offers in terms of increased security because it is able to record in such amazing detail, the price I paid which was around £60 (current Amazon offer of 20% off) seems almost unbelievable.
Slowly getting the hang of my TS-453A :)
nitromax
Starting out

Post by nitromax »

Storyline wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:53 am
nitromax wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:37 am .....
Like most things in life you get what you pay for and at the moment here in the UK you can get 3 of these new 4k Reolink cameras for the price of one equivalent Hikvision.

I'm sure you are correct and on a 4k monitor the difference between the cameras would be obvious but my first impression on connecting this Reolink model to my mid range monitor was one of surprise as to just how much this type of camera has improved in recent times. The definition of the image is extraordinary and the ease of poe means installation is just so easy. True, the colours may not be super accurate and the image has a harsh digital feel but for what it offers in terms of increased security because it is able to record in such amazing detail, the price I paid which was around £60 (current Amazon offer of 20% off) seems almost unbelievable.
True, you get what you pay for, Reolink was the first CCTV camera I used, they were cheap and the footage was acceptable.
I ordered mine form Amazon and got the 20% discount, that's why I thought I would upgrade all 3, but I was not impressed with the night time footage. this should have been a huge improvement from what I have, day time footage is good.
I was using it on QVR Pro and wanted audio as well. but until they add this model to the compatibility list you wont see all the benefits.

I decided to change all my cameras to Hikvision now, I got the DS-2CD2386G2 delivered to see what it was like and the night time footage in colour is amazing, wish I got them first.
The amount of setting this camera has compared to the Reolink, but this is a high price camera, records in 264, 264+, 265, 265+, with less bitrate used but same quality.
overall the Reolink is a good cheap camera, but I wanted more, so I paid the extra.
I ordered
2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2086G2-IU 8MP 2.8mm 30m IR - AcuSense - Built in Mic
1 x Hikvision DS-2CD2347G1-LU/GREY 2.8mm 30m visible light - low light camera with built in mic - ColorVu
and I have the Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU AcuSense 4K Darkfighter Turret Camera IR & Microphone
1 x WD RED 4TB (media)
nitromax
Starting out

Post by nitromax »

Installed Hikvision cameras. amazing night time footage.

on Hikvision cameras you can adjust the iris (aperture) just like on a SLR camera. so lower the shutter speed will allow ambient light for better night time footage.

This footage is from the DS-2CD2086G2-IU 8MP 2.8mm 30m IR - AcuSense
Single stream + Audio
video Compression : H.265+
Resolution: 3840x2160
Frame Rate: 20
Bit Rate: 4096K bps
Scene : Low Illumination
exposure Time: 1/25
Backlight :off
Infrared : off (so no spiders webs from now on)
White Balance : AWB1
https://streamable.com/1ybsmi

Second DS-2CD2086G2
Single stream + Audio
video Compression : H.265+
Resolution: 3840x2160
Frame Rate: 20
Bit Rate: 6144K bps
Scene : Low Illumination
exposure Time: 1/75
Backlight :off
Infrared : off
White Balance : Warm Light Lamp
https://streamable.com/eihy78

Footage taken at 00:29 hrs on QVR Pro, only light is street lighting and night sky.

Finished installing cameras around 15:30:hrs, not one frame drop or disconnection so far.

The cameras are so good they even pick up the stars in the sky.

Footage would be better after scaffolding comes down.
1 x WD RED 4TB (media)
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Looking good!
It may be a good idea to do a walk test to check the level of blur.
I suspect you'll find that the 1/25s exposure is too long for a clear facial image.

And please treat this as constructive:
Two other things mitigate against getting a good DORI (Detect, Observe, Recognise, Identify) result, if the camera's purpose is other than recording an overview scene -
The installation height will give a top of the head view as opposed to a good facial view.
The wide field of view of the 2.8mm lens means the DORI distance is probably about 2m - though I've not done the calculations.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
nitromax
Starting out

Post by nitromax »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:08 pm Looking good!
It may be a good idea to do a walk test to check the level of blur.
I suspect you'll find that the 1/25s exposure is too long for a clear facial image.

And please treat this as constructive:
Two other things mitigate against getting a good DORI (Detect, Observe, Recognise, Identify) result, if the camera's purpose is other than recording an overview scene -
The installation height will give a top of the head view as opposed to a good facial view.
The wide field of view of the 2.8mm lens means the DORI distance is probably about 2m - though I've not done the calculations.
Thank you for your comments, all help welcome.
The camera were mainly for overview of the scene, but there is so many settings, I have to tweak the camera, only installed them yesterday.
Originally the exposure was set 1/3, which is the default setting, and when I looked at the footage I was wow that looks amazing. Then I noticed the ghostly figures on movement, so I increased the exposure.
At the moment I will still tweak it, but not fully as that will be done when the scaffolding comes down.
The left and right cameras are just to see what's happening in the street, I have one more camera above the front door which covers my very small garden, but that gives a birds eye view, so not good for DORI.
Overall compared to the Reolink the Hikvision cameras are amazing.
I am looking for a RING type doorbell that works with QVR Pro, hopefully that will give me a good DORI.
1 x WD RED 4TB (media)
XSAXSA
New here

Post by XSAXSA »

Try to stay with the original problem and don’t mix other cameras here.
Unfortunately, I also experience these problems with RLC-820A and QVR-Pro. There's nothing wrong with Reolink's own client no dropped frames or connectivity issues.
What firmware do you have on your camera?
I have found that with the previous version (v3.0.0.124_20112601) there is much less lost frame and no connectivity problem.
Someone tried it with Surveillance Station unfortunately I had no luck with that?
nitromax
Starting out

Post by nitromax »

XSAXSA wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:06 am Try to stay with the original problem and don’t mix other cameras here.
Unfortunately, I also experience these problems with RLC-820A and QVR-Pro. There's nothing wrong with Reolink's own client no dropped frames or connectivity issues.
I have found that with the previous version (v3.0.0.124_20112601) there is much less lost frame and no connectivity problem.
Someone tried it with Surveillance Station unfortunately I had no luck with that?

That's the version I installed v3.0.0.124_20112601 and was still have connection issues unless I run it under UDP
1 x WD RED 4TB (media)
RobHyde
Starting out

Post by RobHyde »

XSAXSA wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:06 am Try to stay with the original problem and don’t mix other cameras here.
Did you ever figure out the problem / solution here? My issue sounds identical to yours. I am about a day away from returning three of these Reolink cameras for something else (Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2?). See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=160887
nitromax
Starting out

Post by nitromax »

RobHyde wrote:
Did you ever figure out the problem / solution here? My issue sounds identical to yours. I am about a day away from returning three of these Reolink cameras for something else (Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2?). See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=160887
No, never did sort it out, changed all cameras to hikvision, best thing I did, no issues at all, and amazing quality footage.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

1 x WD RED 4TB (media)
RobHyde
Starting out

Post by RobHyde »

nitromax wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:43 am
RobHyde wrote:
No, never did sort it out, changed all cameras to hikvision, best thing I did, no issues at all, and amazing quality footage.

Thanks, I took my first step in that same direction. I purchased a Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU and will see how this compares to the 3 Reolink RLC-820A's. Reolink support said that since my cameras work in VLC (https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/ar ... rce=search) the problem is with QNAP so I am crossing my fingers as I may have a bunch of cameras to return.
nitromax
Starting out

Post by nitromax »

RobHyde wrote:
nitromax wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:43 am
RobHyde wrote:

Thanks, I took my first step in that same direction. I purchased a Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU and will see how this compares to the 3 Reolink RLC-820A's. Reolink support said that since my cameras work in VLC (https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/ar ... rce=search) the problem is with QNAP so I am crossing my fingers as I may have a bunch of cameras to return.
You will not be disappointed with the hikvision. Dont forget to activate hikvision camera using hikvision software or qnap will not see camera, if you need help message me.

1 x WD RED 4TB (media)

Return to “Surveillance Solution”