QVR Pro and continous disk/cpu access

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
adetogni
Getting the hang of things

QVR Pro and continous disk/cpu access

Post by adetogni »

Hi
I have a TS451 with 4 RAID5 disks and 8gb ram. The nas itself is used for backup, occasional local streaming with plex, occasional download, occasional containers/virtual machines. This is to say that "typically" the NAS is idle.

I've a webcam that I want NOT to have opened to the web , so I configured to accept only local connection (I disabled port forwarding) and configured QVR Pro. So when I want to see the stream from outside I have to VPN to the NAS and then I use QVR Pro.

The fact is that QVR Pro is normally silent. The webcam is off (i switch it on only when i leave the house), it's not recording, it's not doing anytihing.

STILL the app is continously hogging my CPU and especially disk IO

Here's the red arrow when I *DISABLED* Qvr Pro
https://screenrec.com/share/scKPkqJtYB

I know and I've read that QVR Pro is hard on resources but...even when it's not doing ANYTHING?
hauntedbg
New here

Re: QVR Pro and continous disk/cpu access

Post by hauntedbg »

I have the same problem with TS-253D. I used QVR pro only for motion detection. So even when I turn off the motion detection the hard disk is working. I can hear it and nothing is used on the NAS else. When I stop QVR pro the hard disk stop working. SO QVR pro is using the HDD even if not recording but I don't know why

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I used QVR pro only for motion detection. So even when I turn off the motion detection the hard disk is working. I can hear it and nothing is used on the NAS else. When I stop QVR pro the hard disk stop working. SO QVR pro is using the HDD even if not recording but I don't know why
When using only event or motion detection, there is the 'pre-record delay' capability usually set for 5 seconds or so.
In order to save an event recording starting from that 5 seconds or so before the actual event, QVR Pro needs to be continuously buffering the video from the camera.
So the HDD activity is much the same as it would be if it was doing continuous recording.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
hauntedbg
New here

Post by hauntedbg »

This makes sense. But even I don't enable any event, motion detector or recording again rhe HDD is active. Maybe the app.is buffering even if you don't use it.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

I do not believe it is possible to use QVRPro without recording 24/7. Events etc are just a subset of that imho.
adetogni

Post by adetogni »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:56 pm
I used QVR pro only for motion detection. So even when I turn off the motion detection the hard disk is working. I can hear it and nothing is used on the NAS else. When I stop QVR pro the hard disk stop working. SO QVR pro is using the HDD even if not recording but I don't know why
When using only event or motion detection, there is the 'pre-record delay' capability usually set for 5 seconds or so.
In order to save an event recording starting from that 5 seconds or so before the actual event, QVR Pro needs to be continuously buffering the video from the camera.
So the HDD activity is much the same as it would be if it was doing continuous recording.
If that's the logic, then by simply disabling (if possible) the pre-recording feature, that should goes off, no?

Also: the only webcam connected to my QVR is actually OFF and I mean with no power. So what is actually recording?
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

I do not believe it is possible to use QVRPro without recording 24/7. Events etc are just a subset of that imho.
As a check, I just changed the QVR Pro configuration for my timelapse camera from 'continuous and event' to 'event only'.
It's now only recording events, it's no longer recording continuously, as confirmed in Playback.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Also: the only webcam connected to my QVR is actually OFF and I mean with no power. So what is actually recording?
What shows in the Playback screen in QVR Pro Client, and what is the status as shown in the Camera Settings page of QVR Pro?
adetogni

Post by adetogni »

https://screenrec.com/share/MfRypVUJZh

status says "connecting" and "no connection, recording stopped"
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:59 pm
As a check, I just changed the QVR Pro configuration for my timelapse camera from 'continuous and event' to 'event only'.
It's now only recording events, it's no longer recording continuously, as confirmed in Playback.
I believe in that scenario recording to disk is still necessary so that the start of events are not missed. That does not mean that recordings are available but a buffer would be needed.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

If that's the logic, then by simply disabling (if possible) the pre-recording feature, that should goes off, no?
There seems little point in using event recording if you configure it to miss the event.
static2606
New here

Post by static2606 »

Is there an option to just use the ram to store the prerecord and then only record to disk when an event occurs? It would reduce the wear and energy usage considerably...
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

I don’t believe so, but you can open a call with Qnap to find out.
qash001
New here

Post by qash001 »

I have a TS-453D, connected an IP Cam and installed QVR Pro 2.0.0.2 24 hours ago. Disconnected the camera after a bit of testing, disabled all recording/event functions.
So now the app should be doing literally nothing, right? WRONG. Constant disk activity, writing around 50KB/s for the last 21 hours - why??

I did a bit of research and according to some older posts regarding QVR Pro version 1.1.something, the same issue has been occurring since the launch of this app. Apparently something to do with the underlying database software Mongo constantly logging things? Like many posts in this forum, it went nowhere, was ignored by QNAP, offered no real solution and was just dead in the water.

This stuff is a little beyond me, so if anyone can make sense of this or can suggest a fix/workaround to stop all the erroneous disk activity that would be much appreciated.
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

qash001 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:29 am I have a TS-453D, connected an IP Cam and installed QVR Pro 2.0.0.2 24 hours ago. Disconnected the camera after a bit of testing, disabled all recording/event functions.
So now the app should be doing literally nothing, right? WRONG. Constant disk activity, writing around 50KB/s for the last 21 hours - why??

I did a bit of research and according to some older posts regarding QVR Pro version 1.1.something, the same issue has been occurring since the launch of this app. Apparently something to do with the underlying database software Mongo constantly logging things? Like many posts in this forum, it went nowhere, was ignored by QNAP, offered no real solution and was just dead in the water.

This stuff is a little beyond me, so if anyone can make sense of this or can suggest a fix/workaround to stop all the erroneous disk activity that would be much appreciated.
As others will tell you Qnap do no monitor these forums. You need to open a ticket via the help desk.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”