QNAP QVR Pro

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
mrw13
Starting out

QNAP QVR Pro

Post by mrw13 »

Hello

I've got a TS-x53D with x2 8TB Ironwolf drives. Had it a few months and am largely happy with it, apart from the constant background disk activity. I had been through all the discussions and i think i've narrowed it down to the self check thing that ironwolf disks do, rather than the NAS itself. OK OK so why am i explaining that here? Well, i installed QVR Pro on the NAS and even without cameras attached, the disk activity has shot up and gone from the odd random access every 2-3 seconds to constant chatter.

Stopping QVR Pro via the QTS/Apps interface stops the activity. What on earth is it doing?

There is nothing specific in the logs (/var/log/*) so is there somewhere else I can look?

What i'm trying to achieve is x2 IP cameras alerting motion, and the ability to remote view, and remote record. Apart from when i tell the system to record via the mobile app (which QVR Pro doesn't seem to be able to do anyway?) i don't want ANY recordings, and therefore, zero disk (or as near as can be) activity except when i press record.

Is that doable with this NAS (QVR Pro/Surveillance), or am i better off with a dedicated NVR? Dedicated unit i can pretty much make disposable and leave on the internet too, i guess.

From a security architecture point of view, combining storage and security seems at odds too, and the extra disk activity can't be good (but then, HDD's like spinning 24/7).

Thanks
spile
Been there, done that

Re: QNAP QVR Pro

Post by spile »

In order to capture the start of an event, the software needs to record 24/7 even if if doesn’t keep that recording.
dragerfroe
Starting out

Re: QNAP QVR Pro

Post by dragerfroe »

I have two cheap JideTech 1080p cameras and I ONLY set the camera to record in an event on the QVR Pro software from the server - not client. I set the motion alert zone in the cameras firmware page itself. I do not record 24/7 and the cameras work just fine. Albiet, I have a dedicated NVR in my QNAP Turbo NAS TS-870U-RP.
NAS: QNAP Turbo NAS TS-870U-RP, 16 GB Ram
CPU Upgrade: Intel i7-2600S
System Fan Mod: AVC DE07015B12L 7CM 12V 0.3A 7015 AVC CPU (x2) Fan to reduce Motherboard fan noise - (easy drop in)
PSU Fan Mod: SUNON HA40201V4-000U-999 4cm Super-silent Fan Magnetic (X2) - (modded each power supply myself, some soldering, but easy mod)

Return to “Surveillance Solution”