Thousands of failed logins and blocked ip's -- What settings do I need?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
taymag
Getting the hang of things

Re: Thousands of failed logins and blocked ip's -- What settings do I need?

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:47 am Private IP is the internal IP your NAS has

probably something like
192.168.x.y

If the VPN server is setup on your router, your internal network should be reachable from your OpenVPN transit range
Ok, not sure I'm following 100%, but yes when I go to the iPhone Vmobile app I see my server is the 192.168.x.xx which is what it was before I setup the VPN account (not sure if that matters) -- I am still getting fail to connect though, are there any settings I need to check? I'm not positive what the transit range is or means, but I know on my router there was a large port range from what I remember, and the Vmobile app is showing port 8080 (but also has "detect port automatically" turned on) and in the VPN iPhone app its showing me port 1194 (if that matters?) -- I feel like I'm close to getting it working, hopefully

Also, I guess I should make sure I am even using it right, am I just supposed to open the app on the iPhone then open the Vmobile app like I normally do? or is there some way to login through the VPN app that I am missing?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

At this time we are poking in the dark

Please post the router model and the setup you did for the vpn server and client
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:06 am At this time we are poking in the dark

Please post the router model and the setup you did for the vpn server and client
My router details are
VPN Details - General
Server Port - 1194
RSA Encryption 1024bit
Client will use VPN to access - Local network only (there is an internet and local network option)
If I go into advanced settings there are quite a few things, not sure what all you would want (and not sure these settings are in effect if I have "general" selected as VPN details
VPN Subnet/Netmask - 10.8.0.0 to 225.225.225.0
Respond to DNS - no
Username/pw Auth. only - no
Push LAN to clients - yes
Direct clients to redirect internet traffic - no

and I'm not sure what iPhone details you'd need, I just used the exported file my router provided and opened it in the iPhone OpenVPN app, here are the minor details I can see in the app
Port - 1194
NPN protocol - UDPv4
It shows my private IP, Server and server public IP as well if you need me to see if those match anywhere
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

router details would be make and model..you gave vpn details

make sure you are on mobile data
connect to the vpn
try to reach your NAS webGUI via the phone browser
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:47 pm router details would be make and model..you gave vpn details

make sure you are on mobile data
connect to the vpn
try to reach your NAS webGUI via the phone browser
Router is Asus RT-AC68U

Not sure if you mean “cellar data” but that’s always been on my phone

One thing I tested yesterday was switching (Client will use VPN to access) from “local network only” to “internet and local network only” and everything worked viewing playback in the Vmobile app, is that the wrong choice? I was just testing but obviously want to make sure I have the secure settings
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

was supposed to say cellular .. typo .. you need to test your VPN from outside of your local network

if you switch to internet and local network, all traffic is routed via the tunnel instead of only traffic directed at the tunnel (access to NAS)

That can be useful or slow down your connection (VPN download speed for general traffic is limited by your home connections upload speed)
Last edited by dolbyman on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:54 pm was supposed to say cellular .. typo .. you need to test your VPN from outside of your local network

if you switch to internet and local network, all traffic is routed via the tunnel instead of only traffic directed at the tunnel (access to NAS)

That can be useful or slow down your connection (VPN download speed for general traffic is limited by your home connections download speed)
I have tested with just cellular on (no WiFi) and it works but only with “internet and local network” (although slow), I assume for my purpose of only NAS/cameras I don’t want to funnel all traffic through VPN?

That being said it doesn’t work with just local network selected
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

weird, local network should work fine...

Just tested it with "LAN only" (other options are "Internet Only" and "Both")

Are you using merlin ?
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:20 am weird, local network should work fine...

Just tested it with "LAN only" (other options are "Internet Only" and "Both")

Are you using merlin ?
I dont have internet only and both, just LAN only and Internet and LAN (which is basically the same)

I'm not using merlin because I was hoping to stay stock since my situation seemed plenty simple for what I am trying to do

Also, how does my Router VPN know to only funnel the NAS (if set to local) if I dont specify that?
Last edited by taymag on Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Hm , I never used stock .. could be a bug .. I would upgrade to merlin
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:07 am Hm , I never used stock .. could be a bug .. I would upgrade to merlin
I want to make sure I am not missing something first, so I set my VPN up on the router, then added the file to the iPhone OpenVPN app, my question is how does the VPN know to only apply to my NAS if I haven't made any direct link to tell it?

Can you post the merlin FW
taymag

Post by taymag »

Looks like I got it working, I just switched back to "Local network only" and for some reason it worked.

Quick questions, if my wifi on my phone is off it lets me access the NAS video playback, why wouldnt it llt me if I was on my wifi?

Second, it may be somewhat from not being on wifi, but video playback is slow as a snail, I mean literally 1 second every 10 seconds at best (this used to be almost perfect playback speed even just using cellular data)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you phone wifi is off and it is using cellular, it should NOT allow you any access to your NAS at all. If it does, it is still somehow exposed to WAN

Probably still a config error, I have never used Vmobile so I cannot help more, but a correctly established and configured VPN connection should be practically indistinguishable for the phone from a LAN connection (with the caveat of it being limited by your WAN connection speed)
taymag

Post by taymag »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:50 am If you phone wifi is off and it is using cellular, it should NOT allow you any access to your NAS at all. If it does, it is still somehow exposed to WAN

Probably still a config error, I have never used Vmobile so I cannot help more, but a correctly established and configured VPN connection should be practically indistinguishable for the phone from a LAN connection (with the caveat of it being limited by your WAN connection speed)
So just to be clear, if I am using a VPN to connect to my home camera recordings (NAS) I will never be able to view them unless I find wifi to use somewhere?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As long as you have an internet connection (Wifi or Cellular) you can connect to the VPN

Return to “Surveillance Solution”