Using Qnap Storage with Separate Surveillance System

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
sermic
New here

Using Qnap Storage with Separate Surveillance System

Post by sermic »

Hello,

I set up my VMS (video management system) on a computer as the NVR and I'm only trying to use the NAS for storage of the video. The VMS uses its own index and retention time, however, once the storage partition in the NAS gets full, I can no longer record video. Meaning, the oldest files should be overwritten either when the retention time is reached (ex. 30 days) or with the partition in full, whichever comes first. This is not happening.

I did submit a ticket to Qnap, but no response as of yet.

Someone did tell me that disabling the recycle bin in the shared folder could help. The reason being, all of the files somehow wound up in the recycle bin. I did that and the recycle bin still appears and the system is in the same state.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?
sermic
New here

Re: Using Qnap Storage with Separate Surveillance System

Post by sermic »

By the way, I'm using Axis Camera Station as my VMS.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

The VMS uses its own index and retention time, however, once the storage partition in the NAS gets full, I can no longer record video. Meaning, the oldest files should be overwritten either when the retention time is reached (ex. 30 days) or with the partition in full, whichever comes first. This is not happening.
From what you've described - I'd have thought the problem is with the VMS as opposed to the storage facility provided by the NAS.

The NAS will know nothing of the retention policy of the VMS, nor have any active part in removing or overwrining older files except when the VMS issues a file delete or write command.
It's only operating as a file store after all.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
sermic
New here

Post by sermic »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:16 pm
The VMS uses its own index and retention time, however, once the storage partition in the NAS gets full, I can no longer record video. Meaning, the oldest files should be overwritten either when the retention time is reached (ex. 30 days) or with the partition in full, whichever comes first. This is not happening.
From what you've described - I'd have thought the problem is with the VMS as opposed to the storage facility provided by the NAS.

The NAS will know nothing of the retention policy of the VMS, nor have any active part in removing or overwrining older files except when the VMS issues a file delete or write command.
It's only operating as a file store after all.
Thanks Alastair. I'm going to start the share from scratch by deleting the stored files. The VMS by default creates a folder called recordings and writes the files there, but the files would up in the recycle bin of the share, which I found very odd as the VMS would not choose this. As I mentioned, I disabled the recycle bin of the share, but it still appears in the folder. Let's see what happens.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

As I mentioned, I disabled the recycle bin of the share, but it still appears in the folder. Let's see what happens.
That should certainly help.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”