QVR Pro builtin motion detection and disk IO

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
lbjoernk
New here

QVR Pro builtin motion detection and disk IO

Post by lbjoernk »

Hi Guys,

My setup:
TS-453D (4.5.4.1741) + QVR Pro (2.1.0.0)

Preface:
So I recently I purchased a TS453 to run my home security cameras using QVR Pro + double as a storage NAS for other stuff.

Issue:
I see when using the builtin motion detection feature of QVRPro that I get constant write activity of around 150-170IOPS. To avoid QVRPro using all the IOPS of my NAS (regular slow HDD, I have setup two separate storage volumes (the default DataVol1 and a newly created QVR-Volume1) located on separate disks.

In the QVRPro settings I have changed recording location to the new storage volume (QVR-Volume1) as well as I have moved the QVRPro Database to the same volume. But apparently this did not move the IOPS caused by the motion detection.

When I enable the builtin QVRPro motion detector to setup event rules/alerting, I see massive write IO (150-170IOPS) on the non-QVR volume (DataVol1). If I disable motion detection, on my cameras, the write IOPS drops, making me fairly certain that these IOPS is caused by the motion detection:
screenshot.jpg
Using that info, I installed the cmd line tool 'iotop' on the TS and it seems that the process '/usr/bin/qvrmdexe' is causing the IOPS on DataVol1. I guess the 'md' stands for 'motion detection'.
screenshot2.jpg
I would like to somehow move these write IOPS to a different storage volume, but there are no settings in the QVRPro GUI to assist with this.

My thoughts so far:
- Even if there are no exposed settings for this, maybe there I can manipulate the relevant config file if I can find it.
- If there are no settings for this, then maybe I can locate the file(s) being written to by the /usr/bin/qvrmdexe process and create a symlink to a different Datavol
- I have also asked this in a support case, but apparently the support rep needs remote access to my NAS, which I will not allow for privacy reasons so I worry that that option is gone.

And here I am stuck.

Maybe someone has experience on this matter, knows the location of relevant config files, or temp directories....or could just provide a fresh set of eyes to help me in the right direction?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lbjoernk
New here

Re: QVR Pro builtin motion detection and disk IO

Post by lbjoernk »

Still in limbo here - Support insists on remote access to help me, so looks like I am on my own.

I will try removing QVRPro + Container station, and then reinstall Container station on a different Volume to see if the disk IO will follow to that volume. In that case, I can live with the that as a workaround.

Will post my findings for other to follow if needed.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Support insists on remote access to help me, so looks like I am on my own.
It would be pretty difficult to investigate and analyse this without such temporary access.
Is there a technical reason why you can't do this?
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
lbjoernk
New here

Post by lbjoernk »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:49 pm
Support insists on remote access to help me, so looks like I am on my own.
It would be pretty difficult to investigate and analyse this without such temporary access.
Is there a technical reason why you can't do this?
From a privacy-perspective I don't trust anyone else with access to my data and surveillance cams.

I ackowledge that remote troubleshooting will be harder without direct access, so I'm not really arguing that the QNAP support team are wrong in denying further support on the matter.

On the other hand, I have provided them with a lot of info on what's needed to reproduce the issue, and have also stated that I would be fully cooperative in any info-gathering matters they would require.

In any case, I realize that if they cannot or will not try to reproduce the issue, I am on my own in troubleshooting it.
lbjoernk
New here

Post by lbjoernk »

An update from here. As planned, I uninstalled QVRPro and Container Station, and reinstalled them on a different volume (SSD backed), after which the write operations of the motion detection was still present, but moved to the new install-partition. As such, this is a viable workaround for me, so I will not pursue the matter further. However - I still think that having those write operations on the install partition without giving the user the option to move this to the volume of choice is a bug.

Return to “Surveillance Solution”